Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

Detroit deisel yota

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Detroit deisel yota

So just kind of hit me as a cool idea or fun project. I dont think i have seen one done and dont think any body would do it. But since the 6.2/6.5 detroits share the same bell housing and motor mounts as any SBC i would think that swapping them into a yota would be no harder or maybe even easier. I see some guys still running yota tranys behind both V6 and even 350 swaps so why not a yota trany and with a 142-170hp 240-280 torque diesel under the hood. Sure its not a power house but if it can get 20mpg in a 1 ton GM truck with a 700R4 or 4L80 you would think in a yota that tips the scales at least 1000lbs less and having a 5th gear it would get decent MPG and provide decent power over a 22RE.

Like i said this is not a project i plan on taking on. It sounds cool to me but i still need to learn a lot more about wheeling and how to repair and build mine before i think about more power. Yes the 22RE still works fine for me... or at least for now. Any way try to keep the flaming down if possible just a idea that jumped into my head and sounded good thats all.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its just to heavy plus there ere much better motors for similar prices such as the 1uz which has been gaining popularity latley since the normal gm swap has become so boring / no big deal /no ones care sany more
Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 PM

LOL. since when is a SBC swap in a yota boring. Not positive but if i am not mistaken they tip the scales at the same weight as any SBC.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM

its boring because not all 350 's are fast even in a yota if you want the same cut up piece of junk that many others have laying in there field rotting go ahead put a chevy in it plus haven't you noticed there is no other replies thats because no one cares i'm just trying to save a yota from turning into a SCRAP PILE

plus a chevy is a good 200lbs heavier

Last edited by 94toyota; 06-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM

LOL. A little harsh there. Not all SBC are made for power this is very true. A lot of people dont understand that a tired 350 can perform worse then a 22RE. However in our trucks i dont think you need tons of power to start with and with tons of guys doing 4.3 and sbc swaps they cant be too horrible. If you read above i stated that i dont plan on doing the swap but i think it would be kind of cool/different if some one did. I say this because even in larger trucks the 6.2 will get about 15-20% better MPG then a 350. On top of that you would have options for bio fuels and so on. You also have to consider swapping a 2L engine with a turbo might give you 100-110 horses power and maybe 160 torque. At the same time the detroit can produce 150 horses NA and twice the torque.

Not trying to argue with you but there is no need to say things like "no one cares""trying save from the scrap pile" etc, Hell i would think you would want as many of them as possible to show up in the scrap yard (more parts for you) . But hey its a forum and i just had the idea tat it would be a little different from you typical SBC swap.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 PM

sorry for being so harsh i just don't like seeing chevy's in toyota or toyota in chevys(2jz corvettes and camaros) if you want a chevy motor why not put it inan s10 or just by a fullsize
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 AM

I can agree with 94toyota. But I am curious to see if it would work. Been tossing around the idea of the diesel swap but, I was leaning toward the OM617 since they can be found in junkyards easier. There are threads about that, but nothing on a chevy diesel swap.

I say go for it..... So the rest of us can learn the easy way.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM

lol very well said uijongbu87.

I can understand where you are coming from but look at all the guys running chevy springs, 14 bolt rears, and dana 60s.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM

lol. I am one of those guys. Just bought my chevy springs.... Can't beat the flex you get!! I am guilty

Last edited by uijongbu87; 06-27-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 PM

I will have to agree with some who say that would be a bad idea,the 6.2/6.5 are a fair bit heavier then the sbc,the fuel economy that you would gain would be far outweighed by the extra weight of the engine.Specially the first time you had to replace the fuel shut off,or the injection pump that would be worth more then the truck its in.
They lack any performance of any kind,you can do a little to them to perk them up,very expensive,I have had a couple late nighties chevy trucks with them in it.
Heath diesel in Washington has done some cool things with them,but spendy!!!
The 6.2 is best used to hold your boat in place,they are not now,nor were they ever any good for anything other then decent fuel millage in a heavy duty,light truck.
Pull the heads from anyone that the crank magically never broke in and you will find the pre-combustion caps stuck to the headgasker rendering the expensive head scrap metal.
The 6.5 are better by a long shot,still not anything worth swapping for other then an ancor.
Sbc swaps are cool,they do have their advantages,more torque,power but much more weight.
I like the idea of engine swaps to a diesel,I am a diesel mechanic by trade,but there are very few engines that I can think of right of the top of my head that would fit,or would be practical in a small truck.
Diesel engines are heavy,the 6.2/6.5 are no exception,the are based on the olds/buick 350-400 engines not the sbc.the bell housing isn't the same.
Spark plugs...$3.50 each times 4...22RE
Glow plugs...$25.00 each times 4 on a 2.4,or worse times 8 on a 6.5
Injection pump (if you are lucky) $1200
I would say stick with what you have.
Thats my opinion,and you know what they say about those lol.

Last edited by northeaster79; 06-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM

nicelly said northeaster79
Old 06-30-2011, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by northeaster79
I will have to agree with some who say that would be a bad idea,the 6.2/6.5 are a fair bit heavier then the sbc,the fuel economy that you would gain would be far outweighed by the extra weight of the engine.Specially the first time you had to replace the fuel shut off,or the injection pump that would be worth more then the truck its in.
They lack any performance of any kind,you can do a little to them to perk them up,very expensive,I have had a couple late nighties chevy trucks with them in it.
Heath diesel in Washington has done some cool things with them,but spendy!!!
The 6.2 is best used to hold your boat in place,they are not now,nor were they ever any good for anything other then decent fuel millage in a heavy duty,light truck.
Pull the heads from anyone that the crank magically never broke in and you will find the pre-combustion caps stuck to the headgasker rendering the expensive head scrap metal.
The 6.5 are better by a long shot,still not anything worth swapping for other then an ancor.
Sbc swaps are cool,they do have their advantages,more torque,power but much more weight.
I like the idea of engine swaps to a diesel,I am a diesel mechanic by trade,but there are very few engines that I can think of right of the top of my head that would fit,or would be practical in a small truck.
Diesel engines are heavy,the 6.2/6.5 are no exception,the are based on the olds/buick 350-400 engines not the sbc.the bell housing isn't the same.
Spark plugs...$3.50 each times 4...22RE
Glow plugs...$25.00 each times 4 on a 2.4,or worse times 8 on a 6.5
Injection pump (if you are lucky) $1200
I would say stick with what you have.
Thats my opinion,and you know what they say about those lol.
Some of your information is correct. However some of it is not.
A mechanical injection pump for a 6.2/6.5 is about 500-600 bucks. Even from Healthy diesel.
Glow plugs are about 10 bucks a peace not 25. If i remember i replaced all 8 of mine for 69.99 but its been about a year.
The 6.2/6.5 where a far improvement over the olds 350 and share very little in common (it was a true gm engine) And i am about 90% positive that it is a GM bell housing.
And i still would question the weight vs a SBC. As well since i have not seen any proof that the Detroit is that much heavier. You will add a few pounds for the injection pump but the cylinder walls are not that much thicker then any other SBC. Guessing maybe 50-75lbs at the most.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 AM

Thank you 94toyota.
I shouldn't argue pricing,I'm in canada and your in the us.
But if you check out the Heath Diesel Power website you find the innacturacies in your pricing.
Yes you can get cheap junk,but you are getting what you pay for.
I thought a read post of yours said that you just sold your duramax 2500HD,due to the rising cost of fuel and maintenance?
The 6.2/6.5 are a true gm engine,and are the same size as the olds/pontiac 350/400 engines,they also share the same bellhousing,not the one from the sbc,trust me I tried the swap and am trying to pass that info on.
And I believe 127 lbs is the correct weight difference between a electronic 6.5 and stock 350 with case iron heads,intake and exhaust manifolds.
I am not trying to be mean,or shoot your idea down,I'm just trying to pass on some helpful info I have on the subject,weather or not you use it is up to you.

Last edited by northeaster79; 06-30-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 AM

I forgot that my family used to have a 6.5 diesel Suburban when I was growing up. I remember helping to change 2 of the 3 transmissions that the motor chewed up. Something is telling me that the yota tranny wouldn't hold. I wasn't involved with every aspect so I can't even say that it had the right transmission mated with it, but I just remember we got good transmission swaps.

Truck was lifted 6 inches with 38'' BFG Tires. And it was red..... Thats all I remember
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Chev never had a decent auto tranny in a full sized until they started with the Allison trans behing the izuzu duramax,which is one hell of a good engine.Make the old ones look like paper weights.
Although they needed no help with that LOL.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM

really? a big diesel in a yota? unless you are towing a 45,000lbs trailer, it seems pointless. just buy a unimog and restore it, probably cheaper and more capable. with that motor you will need a beefy tranny, transfer case, drive lines, diff, full size axles, and so on. after your done you'll wonder why you didn't just take a toy body and mount it on a 3500 HD frame. extreme awkward swaps just aren't worth it. just build a small VW diesel, otherwise buy a chevy
Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 PM

I know this was just an idea and the 22re has hardly any power but why would anyone want to change a motor that is so hard to kill? Thats just my opinion on engine swaps.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 AM

Yes it was just a thought,and an interesting one at that.
But like you just said baddest94,why swap one of the older toyota 4x4's best features.
They are tough,and relativly good on fuel.Isn't that the purpose of the smaller truck.
If you are looking for big diesel power,I would say you are best buying a bigger diesel truck,so you can get all the enhearit benifits of the engine.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by northeaster79
Chev never had a decent auto tranny in a full sized until they started with the Allison trans behing the izuzu duramax,which is one hell of a good engine.Make the old ones look like paper weights.
Although they needed no help with that LOL.
LOL now hold on one second. What about the TH400 and 4L80 both solid transmissions and then of course you also have the NV4500 as well. Of course the allison is a great transmission but you also have to look at the size difference and cost factor. The ZF-6 is also a great and proven transmission. And lets not forget about the old GM 4 speed hand shakers
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM

Not talking standards.Talking automatics.
TH400 does not pump while in reverse,making it a poor choice for a 4x4,specially with a plow.Great tranny for a drag car.
The 4L80 and the 4L80E were decent,as long as you didn't mind rebuilding them after 160000 kms.
And yes the SM420 and T-18 4 speeds were a great transmission in there day.
The ZF transmissions are also an excellant trans.

Quick Reply: Detroit deisel yota