Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

CA smog requirements vs diesel swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA smog requirements vs diesel swap?

I am planning on swapping a 2l-te into my '86 4runner. Do I have anything to worry about when it comes time to register and smog here in CA? Currently I live in a zip code which doesn't require smog, but the voice of reason tells me to think about the future. Any experience with California smog rules?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they suck!

not sure on your conversion, but usually the new motor must meet the current requirements, from the vehicle it was removed from.

if your not required now :thumbup:, moving to a location that does, WILL cause headaches!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, where I live, there's only smog if you sell. So, just so long as you don't sell, you should be golden.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Same here, if you keep it, fine... After lots of consideration, I'd rather not have torn the whole vehicle apart to go to alternate fuel, so I now have a great rebuild with a performance head for lots less money and headache. Because CA never imported diesels in the 4Runner, it's currently a no go unless you get a special project permit. Then still, I think you have to use the motor that the manufacturer used in the diesels they did make for that year. Apparently there are lots of folks doing something similar with VW Eurovans and Vanagons and stuff in Marin County. They're in the same boat but they got an exception. I don't know if they're using the same model year/engine match or if they're putting a brand new motor in, or if it's the same motor even. I guess a few hoops would be worth it if you could get permission to put a different motor in.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by deyodragon
Same here, if you keep it, fine... After lots of consideration, I'd rather not have torn the whole vehicle apart to go to alternate fuel, so I now have a great rebuild with a performance head for lots less money and headache. Because CA never imported diesels in the 4Runner, it's currently a no go unless you get a special project permit. Then still, I think you have to use the motor that the manufacturer used in the diesels they did make for that year. Apparently there are lots of folks doing something similar with VW Eurovans and Vanagons and stuff in Marin County. They're in the same boat but they got an exception. I don't know if they're using the same model year/engine match or if they're putting a brand new motor in, or if it's the same motor even. I guess a few hoops would be worth it if you could get permission to put a different motor in.
I just got off the phone with a smog referee from Chaffey College and he provided the following information regarding engine swaps in my 87 4Runner:

Going from gas to diesel is allowed and follows the State requirements for engine swaps. Thus, if a diesel was offered in a 1/2 ton truck or smaller vehicle (compact car) the year of your car or newer and the diesel was offered for sale in California, then you can install it in your Toyota. You're going to need to install all of the vehicles smog equipment (if applicable) and from there the DMV will issue a diesel exempt sticker to you.

CA now requires smog/soot inspections on 1998 or newer diesels so if you plan to do a diesel swap, go with a 1997 or older diesel and they only give visual inspections. The referee said doing something like this in a 1987 era vehicle is super easy. He said if you plan on putting in a gas engine, I'll still need to install all of the smog equipment and will have to go through the sniffer test to past smog.

Transmissions are another topic - if you plan on installing a diesel you'll also need to check on what transmission was offered that same year. If the diesel only came with an automatic, then you'll need to stick with an automatic car. CA considers engine/trans as one unit.

An example of this would be installing a Toyota Cressida engine (same as the Supra) - Cressida's only came with automatics so if you go this direction you're better off going with the Supra engine if you want to go a manual.

I just rebuilt my 22re and over the next two to three years will be gathering the necessary parts to swap a Mercedes 190D Turbo into my 1987 4Runner. I like the idea of going diesel and the ability of getting 30+ mpg.