All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Official 1JZ/2JZGE 2JZGTE Swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know exactly how to do this hybrid r154/r150 transmission? I know we need the input from the 54 but that opened a whole can of worms!! Any one with experience please help...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Have you opened the Tranny already?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Yes already opened up, tore down and reassembled. Having some clearence issues with some gears. Any input from some one who has done this would be great.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 AM

2jz swap into 4Runner

"[QUOTE=91_TOYOTA_4x4;51600169]wiring wise. what am i looking at? i want to run most of my gauges mechanical so there is less wiring. full pump can be ran by switch along with rad fans exc... and if im correct? then the 2jz is OBDii right? so will that make it harder to work with rest of the old OBDi 3vze? i don't think it should matter but just wondering lol."

I am actually in the middle of this swap but without the turbo's. I am putting a 1996 2jz-ge into my 1993 Pick-up and I have the engine and transmission in and the wiring is my hurdle. I have printed out the wiring diagrams for the SC300 where the engine came from and the 3vze in the truck. I have been comparing everything and I have even matched up a few wires but this is a long process that needs a lot of undisturbed time and a good knowledgs of wiring diagrams. I left my stock fuse/relay panel in place under the hood and just hooked up the jumper wire from the battery to the box, just like stock and all of my gauges and lights work just fine. I have the computer booting up but the one thing I do not have yet is the cranking. I have the wires hooked up to trigger the starter but it does not crank so obviousely, I have more work to do. I am interested in what you find and how you do becasue I have been working on this truck for al,most a year now and I am ready to drive it. It is so close.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey mike sounds like you are allot farther than me lol I haven't got an engine yet, it hard too find a decent gte, without breaking my bank haha. I think about it all day and I'm still going too do the swap but I need atleast 5000 I'm thinking so I'm saving haha. Good luck with the swap and I can try and help
Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM

I found an engine and trans with harness and ecu for $800. All out of the same car and I can go back and look at the car when needed to see what I missed on the wiring. I am probably going to go back and cut the plugs out of the car for the harness to help identify the colors becasue the wire colors are different on each side of the plugs in some cases.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice dude! 800 isn't bad though it is n/a, if I go 2jz then it's going too be turbo, so it's allot more expensive lol. Having the car u pulled the engine from will help allot!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM

just waiting for my brother to pull his 2jz-ge out of his gs(hes putting a ls with a 6 spd in it) then i can start saving and getting the parts together. my big dilema right now is getting the lexus auto tranny to work. i know i can put a a340f trans rear section on the a341 but i need to find an adapter to make the rf1a transfer that i have work. this is all going in a 94 4runner that i am doing an sas on also. i just need to find all the parts to get the right drop for this transmission and transfer combo. once i get it all figured out and get my spare car on the road i can start tearing into it
Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm new to this forum and have been lurking for a few months but it seems that almost all threads regarding a 1JZ or 2JZ swap have died down with a lot of dead links. Ill be creating a thread when I have some spare time to document my 1JZ swap into my 1990 4Runner SR5 5-speed. I have finally gathered all the parts I need to get started after countless hours of research.

If there is anyone out there that still wants to pursue this type of an engine swap please chime in! I'd really like to share and gather some more information on 1JZ/2JZ swaps in an effort for more people to go this route.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM

Or K well guess ill chime in here too..... have a 96 runner 2wd automatic with a blown 3.4L ! Decided to get crazy and put my long automotive career to use again! The wife told me that she had done a 1jz swap on her mk3 supra long time ago.... so she suggested the 1jz... then she found a 2jzgte w/harness, and ecu online and after her explaining all the differences and similarities between the 2 i decided on more hp! My only question is having a 2wd automatic a340e tranny in the runner now, after doing much research ive found the 2jzgte in certain years used the same transmission if im not mistaken. Wondering if i could put the 2jzgte on to stock 4 runner tranny or? Thats where im at any help would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 96 DuneRunner
Or K well guess ill chime in here too..... have a 96 runner 2wd automatic with a blown 3.4L ! Decided to get crazy and put my long automotive career to use again! The wife told me that she had done a 1jz swap on her mk3 supra long time ago.... so she suggested the 1jz... then she found a 2jzgte w/harness, and ecu online and after her explaining all the differences and similarities between the 2 i decided on more hp! My only question is having a 2wd automatic a340e tranny in the runner now, after doing much research ive found the 2jzgte in certain years used the same transmission if im not mistaken. Wondering if i could put the 2jzgte on to stock 4 runner tranny or? Thats where im at any help would be appreciated
they are not the same transmission, the supra a340e has an additional shift solenoid, as well as some stronger internal parts. lots of times you can buy complete motor/trans/ecu setups online, for almost no more than without the trans.

Save yourself a little wiring and planning (different electronics between the two) and get the supra trans!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Ok now looking into purchasing a complete motor trans ecu harness package we have found over secen different companies all within about 200 after shipping whole nine yards so thanks for yalls replies and we will keep updating as progress continues......

tlivi
Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just picked up a R150F over the weekend for the swap. I'll be ordering a 1jz-gte for my 84. This week. The only thing i have not been able to find a discussion on is whether it is of benefit for a front or rear sump. I have seen on some forums that people have built custom pans and oil pickup to clear the front axle.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM

If you are IFS, you will need a front sump pan to clear your front diff. However, you will lose your stock steering dampener location. This of course may also depend on the height you decide to mount your engine. This is coming from my experience.

If your SFA then I honestly do not know which pan could benefit you most.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 AM

Im thinking i might try the rear sump. I have the front solid axle and then in front of that i have my hy steer kit and the damper of of that the i welded right to the frame. So I'll try the rear sump and hope for the best lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 AM

suppra87, So motor is on its way. Im gonna slap the rear sump on it. Im bolting a tacoma r150f to the r154 bellhousing for the 1j. Do you know what flywheel/clutch setup i would half to use? I've been looking and looking on the sura forums to try and find somewhat of an answer but have not had any luck.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 8784 runner
suppra87, So motor is on its way. Im gonna slap the rear sump on it. Im bolting a tacoma r150f to the r154 bellhousing for the 1j. Do you know what flywheel/clutch setup i would half to use? I've been looking and looking on the sura forums to try and find somewhat of an answer but have not had any luck.
I wish I could tell you otherwise, but that transmission and bellhousing combination will not work. Everything WILL bolt up BUT the input shaft on the R150f is roughly 20mm shorter than that of the R154. So while it will bolt up, the input shaft on the transmission will be too short. To overcome this, I chose to have a bellhousing made by one of the members on here. He had a jig set up and basically sliced the correct amount of aluminum from the middle of the bellhousing and welded it back together perfectly clocked and straight.

As for clutches, you will need to use a flywheel from a 93-98 NON-turbo 5-speed supra (W58 transmission). The clutch can come from any car that uses a W58 transmission (86.5-82 NON-Turbo Supra, 93-98 NON-Turbo Supra). I got mine from driftmotion.com, they specialize in supra parts. If you call them, talk to Aaron, he is putting a 2jz in his 4runner too. Real nice guy and awesome customer support.

With that, you will use a stock 4runner/pickup clutch slave cylinder for the R150f and everything works together beautifully. I chose to upspec my clutch so I didn't have to ever worry about it. Got a clutch and pressure plate that was rated for 350ft-lbs torque (http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-ts3-xtss.php)
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Yes that is what i was under the assumption of to. Until I found a guy on a supra website who bolted his stock trans in a 98 tacoma trans to the 154 bell on the back of a 2j he swapped in. In 96 when they released the 5vz 3.4 with the r150f they lengthend the bell housing about an inch. Thus lengthing the input shaft on all R150 mated to the 3.4 v6. I already orderd the tranny it will be ready for pickup tuesday. I tried posting his pic of the 2 bellhousings side by side but was unsuccesful

Last edited by 8784 runner; 02-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo-253.jpg
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM

I will def give Aron a call first thing Monday and try to get what i need shipped asap. As soon as i drive the runner to completly empty i can pull it in the garage. 22r has the mechanical fuel pump on the head so probly end up putting a cell in the back with fuel pump. Thanks for the info Greatly! appreciated

Quick Reply: Official 1JZ/2JZGE 2JZGTE Swap thread