All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZ-FE Swap 2nd or 3rd Gen 4Runner help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1UZ-FE Swap 2nd or 3rd Gen 4Runner help

Alright, so I guess this is my intro thread and my question thread all rolled into one. Forgive me, I'm a noob.

Anyways, standard stuff, I'm US Air Force, currently in San Antonio, TX, home is in San Diego, CA, and I'll be stationed in New Mexico... Off roading is something I love to do, and I want to build up a 4runner 4x4 for DD in New Mexico and some rock crawling and general desert shenanigans.

Been lurking here for a while, finally decided to register up and start asking questions now that I'm ready to get a Runner and get going on the build.

I have a very very mechanically inclined uncle and a large garage/machine shop in AZ so while I myself may not have the know how, I am capable of getting most machining etc... done

So, first off, what generation/tranny do I want? I've always been partial to the 3rd gen, but I'm gathering that it is easier to do the 1UZ-FE swap in the 2nd gen 3.0s Can I do a 1UZ-FE swap with reasonable ease in a 3rd gen? Or should I stay with the 2nd gen? I'm not to sure about manual vs. automatic in this swap. Seems people have done both... but I'm looking for the easiest route here. I'm fine with either. So, is manual or automatic easier/better for this swap?

Once the 4runner is purchased (looking to grab one in the next 3-4 months) I'd like to go straight to the swap. There will be a pretty decent amount of time in the nearer future where I won't need a car and that's a perfect time to garage the 4runner and get the swap done.

Try as I might, I can't seem to find a place that has a good compilation or list of all the necessary parts for the 1UZ-FE swap. So what all do I need to get my hands on for a 1UZ-FE swap? What all has to come out of the 4runner? It will be an off roading rig, so a small lift is happening (2.5" max), but are there any other mods that need to be made to the 4runner besides engine mount placement?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all of this, and pretty ambitious as a person ha ha. Looking to get on this and get the swap done, but don't know where to start (besides getting a 4runner ha ha). It just seems easier if I get all the info and research done first and then I can limit the amount of mistakes and parts purchased in error. This way I can keep cost down as well.

Thanks for the help, I really can't wait to get started ha ha. Been wanting to do a V8 4Runner for a while.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=150.0

http://www.toolandfab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...version-76701/

In case you like reading
Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually love it. Thanks for the links!