3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Yet another 3.4 Swap...trying to complete under $2K

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another 3.4 Swap...trying to complete under $2K

April 1st, 2008
Starting the write-up now as I have some questions now and as Evolta advised me.

I just bought a 99 4Runner Auto Motor with 80,000 miles all accessories to swap into my 91 second gen 5spd 4runner. I pick it up tomorrow. I also requested they give me the Manual wiring harness and ECU from another vehicle so I won't throw all the codes I would from the auto ECU. Question is will this be compatible with my swap or should I go ahead and just have them give me the auto ECU instead and deal with the codes?

Evolta said I should also check and make sure there is a spot for the pilot bearing in the end of the 3.4 crankshaft. Is this always drilled in all blocks? I also am a little unsure what to look for when I am looking. Does anyone have a picture of what I should be looking for?

With the 99 4runner motor does this mean I will have to drill the 2 inch hole for the dipstick?

I will post a complete parts list and part numbers and prices on everything. I will be having yotaman building me a wiring harness to make the wiring easier. He has a complete parts list of everything I need from autozone. I will be buying all oil dipstick items, clutch, pressure plate, and 3.0 throwout bearing from toyota.

Please help me with my above questions.

My goal is to complete the swap in 3-4 days after all the prep work on the 3.4 is finished. hoping to have it done by the end of April or sooner.

April 2nd, 2008:
Picked up the motor today. Got AC compressor, starter, EVAP VSV, Power steering pump, altenator, full wiring harness (Uncut), air box, mass airflow sensor, and the power steering high pressure line I wasn't sure I needed or not. Ordered up a flywheel, bought new ac belt, altenator belt, power steering belt, and a 95 tacoma upper radiator hose.

Will be ordering a set of Downey Headers tonight. Tomorrow I will be ordering all the rest of the parts from toyota: Timing belt, tensioners, water pump, all oil dipstick parts. I will also be getting a lower radiator hose as soon as yotaman sends me information on the one I need from autozone. I also need to get heater hoses and the wiring harness built from yotaman.

I forgot to take pictures but a 3.4 definitely fits in the back of a second gen no problems. I will take pictures next time I go out to the shop. Probably next week sometime so that I can do everything to the motor before I pull the old 3.slo. I'll be driving around a lifted 1st gen pickup thanks to my friend's willingness to let me borrow it for 4 days once I start hackin away. Anyway just wanted to update everyone. I'll be trying to post everything in the first post so it's easy to find things. The thought of doing this for $2k is probably not going to happen until I sell the old 3.slo. I will be very close though.

So far spent:
Motor all accesories: $1350
Micellaneous: $779
Wiring Harness: $450
Downey Headers: $396 + shipping

What does everyone think I'll be able to get out of the old motor?

Last edited by JGrund85; 04-03-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Picture of pilot bearing.

I'm working on list of parts for you.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM

thanks. I'm assuming this is located at where the tranny bolts up?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The eight holes around the crankshaft are where the flywheel bolts on.

The pilot bearing itself presses into the end of the crank shaft.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JGrund85

I also requested they give me the Manual wiring harness and ECU from another vehicle so I won't throw all the codes I would from the auto ECU.
What year truck is the maunal harness and ECU?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't forget that if you're getting the engine from an auto, I think you're also going to need a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate from a 3.4.

Someone who's done the 3.4 auto to 3.0 manual conversion would be better to answer this.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM

I'm not sure what year the manual harness and ECU is coming out of. I can find out tomorrow at the yard when I pick up the motor. Anything I should avoid or look for? I'm hoping it will come out of another 99.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
The eight holes around the crankshaft are where the flywheel bolts on.

The pilot bearing itself presses into the end of the crank shaft.
Thanks that clears things up.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you will be "mixing" an auto engine with manual harness and ECU, be prepared to do some wiring by hunt and peck, as there may be some minor differences.

I would suggest that you buy the time to download the FSM wiring diagrams for your truck, the engine, and the harness / ECU (each proper year). That should alleviate most of your possible headaches.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Elvota: What downey headers do I need to purchase? With or without EGR?

Also, unless anyone opposes; I'll just be editing my first post so It is easy to read through.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Elvota: What downey headers do I need to purchase? With or without EGR?
It's going to depend on the motor you get hold of.

If it has EGR, you'll want headers with EGR. If you plan to remove the EGR, then get headers without EGR regardless of how the 3.4 is equipped.

Just understand what emission testing in your area will be looking for so you can pass smog... assuming testing is even required where you live.

I'd get the motor first, and then go to Downey online and choose the EGR option you need. If you are unsure, call Downey directly. I have found that they have reasonable customer service and should be able to help you.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM

I got the motor. I guess I'm unclear as to what EGR is. I don't have emission's where I live. So that doesn't matter to me. How do I decipher whether or not the vehicle is equipped with EGR or not? The vehicle it came out of was a 99 auto SR5 4x4 4Runner. What do I need to look for on the motor? Will call downey if I need to.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:02 PM

Ok, Downey helped me figure it out. They only make it without EGR for that year and model. Ordered up my headers. Should be shipped tommorow. Here sometime next week.

Will the auto flywheel bolts work with the manual flywheel, or do I need to obtain manual flywheel bolts from a manual motor, or can I reuse my 3.0 bolts?

Last edited by JGrund85; 04-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM

the egr is a valve that should be located somewhere near the top of the engine. it has a hard pipe that bolts directly into one of the exhaust manifolds. it should be the only accessory that connects to the manifold in such a way. on the 3.0, it is located on the top front of the passenger side of the engine. the 2000 tacoma engine that i bought doesn't have one, but a 99 4runner might.
also, my engine was produced in late 99 and does not have a hole predrilled for the dipstick. 95-99 3.4's should have it. my guess is yours does, but it's close enough that you should check to be sure.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM

man do I hope my motor has the predrilled hole for the dipstick. I just don't wanna deal with having to drill it out.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Mine had the pre-drilled hole which was plugged with a blank. I used a dull chisel to knock around the sides of the old guide to remove it and did the same for the blank. Tap and plug the old hole and tap the guide into the new location.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM

More parts ordered

April 3rd, 2008
Ordered up some more parts from Toyota:
Clutch, Pressure plate, Timing belt, Water pump, tensioners, crankshaft seal, cam seal.

Ordered from ORS (Offroad Solutions):
Battery relocation tray.

Going to buy today:
8 feet of 4 guage red car audio wire for the big 3 upgrade. (More flexible and easy to work with) and 8 feet of 4 guage black car audio wire for all my grounds.
I'm going to purchase both the Toyota 91 4runner 3.0 service manual as well as the 99 service manual to assist me.

All parts should arrive by Wednsday of next week with the exception of the wiring harness which should be at my house by next friday. Gonna work on getting the 3.4L prepped a little bit tomorrow when the flywheel comes in.

Also since i won't have internet at the shop I have printed most of the pictures from Elvota's build thread to assist me during the swap.

Last edited by JGrund85; 04-03-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM

For $10 per day, you can download all you want from the Toyota website.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Print out the pages you need, hang on to the rest. It took me a few hours to download everything I needed.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure what year the manual harness and ECU is coming out of. I can find out tomorrow at the yard when I pick up the motor. Anything I should avoid or look for? I'm hoping it will come out of another 99.
I'd check with whoever is doing your wiring conversion. Obviously the closer to 99 the better. Around 2002 they switched to throttle by wire (TBW). Not sure if that means the ECU is different for that TBW system or not. Prior to 98 the ECUs just took the standard front O2 sensor, sometime ?? after that they switched to wide band air fuel ratio sensors. Also I heard the injectors may be different for different years. Toyota changed wiring and ECU pinouts from year to year and even sometimes midyear. Try to get the VIN #s for the donor truck/trucks. Obviously it is best to get everything from the same truck, but you don't want an auto donor truck if you have a manual. I'd try to at least get an ECU for a manual.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by RobD
For $10 per day, you can download all you want from the Toyota website.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Print out the pages you need, hang on to the rest. It took me a few hours to download everything I needed.
I am definitely gonna do this instead of buying the manuals from the stealership. They wanted a crap load of money ($120) and it wasn't even a complete service manual. So I'll just download all of this today and make sure to get everything.

Quick Reply: Yet another 3.4 Swap...trying to complete under $2K