3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap

I just purchased a nice 91 Warrior with the 3.0; after reading several of the threads here I decided to buy a 2000 4runner and use it as a donor for the 3.4; now, as it turns out this is probably not the best donor since it is a 4x4 automatic going into a two wheel automatic--besides, the 4runner is sooo nice that I think I'll give it to my daughter! One of the threads stated that it is best to transplant the tranny as well as the engine. So my question is what is the best model and year to make this project go smoothly?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to read just a few more threads

Get a 2WD model 3.4 if there was such a creature.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-30-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM

There are plenty of 3.4 2WD models around (at least here in CA) -- 4Runners, Tacos, T100's. Best of all, they're cheaper than the 4x4 models.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 AM

This has been a busy morning. I just bought a 97 4runner with 2wd--also, a very nice looking vehicle! I think I have the basics for the swap, so I'll get started after the 4th. The plan is to take all that is needed from the 4runner, install in the Warrior then take the motorhome stuff and put the 4runner back on the road with the 3.0! I've done a hundred chevy swaps over the years (at least a dozen!) but this is new to me. I've not seen any threads on putting the 3.0 back into service, so this might be an interesting project. Photos to follow.

One question that comes to mind: can I still use the column shifter on the motorhome, or do I have to use a floor mount?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by NytWolf
There are plenty of 3.4 2WD models around (at least here in CA) -- 4Runners, Tacos, T100's. Best of all, they're cheaper than the 4x4 models.
Problem with that is they are merely 4WD delete. He will still have to change the oil pan to fit in his 2WD motorhome.

A prerunner Tacoma is NOT the same as a 2WD Tacoma.

All 2WD 4Runners are prerunners.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Captainjack
This has been a busy morning. I just bought a 97 4runner with 2wd--also, a very nice looking vehicle! I think I have the basics for the swap, so I'll get started after the 4th. The plan is to take all that is needed from the 4runner, install in the Warrior then take the motorhome stuff and put the 4runner back on the road with the 3.0! I've done a hundred chevy swaps over the years (at least a dozen!) but this is new to me. I've not seen any threads on putting the 3.0 back into service, so this might be an interesting project. Photos to follow.

One question that comes to mind: can I still use the column shifter on the motorhome, or do I have to use a floor mount?
You won't be able to swap the 3.0 into the 4runner without some major modifications and expenses. And no one is going to buy a 97 4Runner with a 3.0 in it, especially a 3.0 2WD.

You will need to combine the wiring partially from the 97 4Runner into the motor home, will need plugs and things off the wiring harness. If you don't know how involved the swap is, you need to read into it first. Its not just as simple as swapping one into the other in an afternoon.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM

You're probably right about the 3.0 back into the 4runner; good chance I'll just part the thing out and sell the 3.0 engine. The pan swap doesn't sound too difficult and there seems to be some good amount of work involved with the exhaust but I think the use of the tranny/engine combo will eliminate the electrical challenges. I expect to be messing with this for a couple of weeks. If anyone else has done this swap, please contact me. thx, jack
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
You're probably right about the 3.0 back into the 4runner; good chance I'll just part the thing out and sell the 3.0 engine. The pan swap doesn't sound too difficult and there seems to be some good amount of work involved with the exhaust but I think the use of the tranny/engine combo will eliminate the electrical challenges. I expect to be messing with this for a couple of weeks. If anyone else has done this swap, please contact me. thx, jack
okay you need to stop EVERYTHING and READ!!!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/

after you have read all the write ups, read them again! This is not a "oh hey I'll just bolt it all together swap. It is not all plug and play. You need parts from the 3.0 and parts from the body harness off the 97 4runner. All the answers you'd ever need are in the 3.4 swap section. Get to reading and good luck.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM

X2 on what Vital said
Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Great to see someone else on here doing what I'm doing. I have a 89 Dolphin 22'

1st, make your life easier. use the auto trans in your RV. (It's already a HD unit, special to the 1 Ton Dual rear wheel (DRW) model)
2nd, Get a hold of a T100 Auto 2wd ECU and harness. (This computer will talk to your trans, if you use the 4Runner one it will not shift right)
3rd, get all the EWD's

Good Luck! Please keep us informed and take lots of pictures...! :-)
Do you know about the Toyota RV forum? Here is a link on the swaps in general...
http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/in...?showtopic=413

Andrew.

Edit: I see SuperRunner has updated his site... Check out his Lexus V8 RV swap http://www.supracharged.com/swaps/87rv/index.shtml

Last edited by aferg; 06-30-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Andrew,
Thanks for the info. Is there any particular year T100 for that ECU? If I have the wrong donor vehicle (97 2wd 4runner), then this is the time to change! I just sold my first donor (2000 4runner)at a good profit, so if I have to get rid of the second one I will. The 97 2wd requires changing the engine and tranny as well, but what you say about the original tranny makes sense--I haven't seen a lot of complaints about the transmissions failing on these motorhomes. I would guess that the earliest t100 with the 3.4 would be a good candidate for the engine (and the ecu)? I've found a local guy to do the wiring for me. He's done a few of these and has all the ewd's. Getting to the starting line has been interesting; we'll see how the rest goes. thx, jack
Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 AM

You cannot run a t100 harness and computer on your 4runner, the 4runners have NO egr and the t100 does, it would take modifying the intake plenum and completly adding all egr components to keep from throwing codes in the t100 computer.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 AM

I think what Andrew suggested was that the t100 be run with the motorhome which is not a 4runner? I've read a couple of entries on this blog that say the same thing: the t100 3.4 2wd auto ecu will talk to the motorhome without changing the transmission. I'm now looking for a third donor vehicle (95-98 T100 2wd with auto)! In the meantime, I've bought a couple of nice toyotas--one of which I've already resold!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Just got back from camping in it

I'm going to use a 95 T100 because that's what i have. I think you could use any year 95-98...

I have the ECU and complete harness, the Throttle Body and the two exhaust sensors from the 95 T100. My engine I have is from a 4runner, but I "hope" to be able to trick the EGR system... If not I'm going to shop for an intake

If your able, grab the whole truck! Best way to do it by far! Make sure you get the SR5 model and take the cluster from it too! It fits real nice! Or you could try Sliver GT's approach and swap over the whole dash harness...
Link: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...5-t100-234889/

Andrew.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 AM

I think I'm on the right track now: I'm flying to LA on Wed to look at a couple of 97 t100's; from what I've read, anything from '95 to '98 will work, but if you ever have plans to add a SC, then you must get the '97 or '98. I guess the ecu will not support a SC in the earlier years?? I don't think the SC will be necessary on my RV, but you never know! I don't think I want to change the cluster--wouldn't that require showing the mileage from the donor vehicle? My Warrior only has 29K miles, so I don't think I want to put in a cluster that shows almost 200K. Or did I miss something here? Jack
Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 AM

When I replaced my cluster I switched the mileage. It was not that hard to take it apart and figure out how it worked...

Also, Jim has completed the swap on a 1990 RV.

Here is what he wrote on the Toyota Motorhomes form:
Hi guys

I have just completed a 3.0 to 3.4 swap on my 1990 (chassis) winnebego itasca 22 ft. I put nearly 1000 miles on it this past weekend. I bought a 1995 T-100 and used everything from it, that is engine, ecu and transmission. Changed
the tail shaft housings from trans to trans as speedometer cable went out opposite sides but I believe you could use present trans as as you say they use the same speed sensor type. You would have to cut off the connectors to
trans and hard wire as they are different. Had to heat and bend crossover pipe to clear frame on pass side, it comes right on top of torsion bar but enough room to clear. Had to modify lower alt bracket to tuck alt closer to
engine as it would hit P/S box. I had read the swaps done on 4 by 4 web sites but there are some differences I found on 2wd as mentioned already. I just cut 2 pieces of bracing out of hood and it closes ok, did not need a hole in it.
Am very pleased with it, it drives much easier, not feeling like it is struggling all the time, makes it hard to keep speed down so mileage will not drop. Seemed on this trip mileage was about the same, maybe a touch better.
Out bound trip had about a 30mph tail wind and it was getting approx 23 to 24 mpg (imperial gallon, I am Canadian), coming back mostly no or light wind and it was around the 20 mpg driving mostly at 55mph. The 3.0 gave me
average for whole trip from Alberta to Nova Scotia and back 2 years ago 19.5 mpg (remember imperial gallon) Hope this helps some of you who are looking for more power. The 3.4 is one of the best engines ever, they last forever
it seems, have seen many with 3 to 4 hundred thousand miles as I am a Toyota tech.

Jim

Link: http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/in...?showtopic=413 (post 24)

Andrew.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Update:7/14/11
I just picked up the "final" donor vehicle; its a '97 T100. I found it in Abileen with 196k miles on it. So, the plan is to use the RV transmission and swap out everything else from this donor. If needed, I'll put a supercharger on it. For the next week or so, I'll have my shop foreman pull the engine from the donor and rebuild it. The engine ran fine on the trip from Abileen to Tucson but the oil pressure was low. This is the time to take care of this. In the meantime I'm adding another fuel tank to the motorhome--I almost ran out of gas twice on the drive from Houston--It only has 14 gal of useful capacity! There's a lot of long stretches between Houston and Tucson!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Update:7/14/11 In the meantime I'm adding another fuel tank to the motorhome--I almost ran out of gas twice on the drive from Houston--It only has 14 gal of useful capacity! There's a lot of long stretches between Houston and Tucson!
Did you notice that your new T100 has a 24 gal tank stock...

Take lots and lots of pictures for us!

Andrew.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pictures!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Here's a couple of pics: The motorhome is very nice; the pic doesn't do it justice! The donor is kind of rough--it was a ranch truck; I'll part this out when the project is done. The 4Runner is the first vehicle I bought for a donor--I'm glad this didn't work out since this is such a nice vehicle. I'll post some pics of the donor 3.4 after it's been rebuilt, as well as some in process pics. I think I'll have time for one camping trip before the engine comes out of the RV!
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap-001a.jpg   Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap-001b.jpg   Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap-002b.jpg  

Quick Reply: Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap