3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Starting my very own 3.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting my very own 3.4 swap

So I gotta keep this short and I know I haven't posted much on here at all. But I'm looking to give back by doing some very well documentation of this engine swap. Lets start with the details.

The engine is going in a 88 4runner with a 3.0 and 5 speed transmission. I bought this thing for 800 bucks and the engine goes through oil faster than BP spills. The transmission is probably going to die pretty soon here too. But I'm in love with this old thing so I started looking into the 3.4 swap and found a donor engine for sale from a local YT member.

The donor is a 98 4runner with a supercharged 3.4 Its going to be scary fast. It already has a URD computer and bigger injectors. I'm really excited but also nervous.

So I'm going to say this up front, I've never done an engine swap. I've helped a few friends pull and put in motors before but thats going to be a cake walk compared to this. I should be getting the engine within the next two weeks so I'm spending this time doing as much R&D as possible. Also I'm starting to collect the parts I need for the swap.

So my first question would have to be: The 3.4 is coming out of an automatic 4runner and I have a manual. I've read on ORS' site that some years of the 3.4 wont convert to a manual setup. Anybody know what years those would be? I'm going to do the swap either way but I would really really love to keep it a manual.

My second question would have to be: I am super busy with work right now, should I buy a conversion kit from ORS? If I wasn't working 7 days a week right now I would love to make it all happen myself especially the wiring since I'm an electrician. But if the ORS kit will save me enough time then it might be cheaper for me in the long run to buy the kit then spend my time peicing it together. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to do a LOT more reading. All your questions are already answered numerous times in threads in this section.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTracker22

My second question would have to be: I am super busy with work right now, should I buy a conversion kit from ORS? If I wasn't working 7 days a week right now I would love to make it all happen myself especially the wiring since I'm an electrician. But if the ORS kit will save me enough time then it might be cheaper for me in the long run to buy the kit then spend my time peicing it together. Thoughts?
i think you need to read a little more on ORS's website
"ANNOUNCEMENT
12-19-08

As of 12-18-08 the Off Road Solutions facility is closed permanently. We are finishing and will deliver every standing parts order. After the 18th this website will remain online for access to technical information. Also, please periodically check the website as some of ORS’s unique product lines will soon be available through another outlet.

A few ORS products and the listed Specials will still be available until the 26th. Please browse the website for any parts that may be of interest, they will still be found in their usual location. Also, our Specials section contains new and used parts, otherwise not found on the site, at clearance prices. We are no longer taking phone calls, please email ORS with any interest in these products.

We suggest joining the mailing list and/or periodically watching this website as there will soon be additional information regarding the purchase of selected ORS parts through another outlet."

i am subscribed to their mailing list but don't recall getting an update saying they had products available again...
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 AM

You can look into toyonlyswaps.com for these things if thats the route you plan to go.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM

My Ex girlfriend has an '88 4Runner w/ a '97 Tundra 3.4 swap, 5" TG springs, 36" swampers, painted army green w/ USMC on driver side rear and SEMPER-FI on the hood. we raised the motor mount 1.5" higher, then we had to cut the hood and make a cowl induction so the intake didn't hit. makes me want to rip out my 4 banger.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Alright, so I haven't posted on this for a good minute. I got the engine just over a week ago and it is AWESOME! I'm super excited. With the engine I got the harness, ECM, thorley headers, supercharger, URD computer, intake, evap box and all emissions pieces and a couple of other odds and ends.

So far the plan is to use all 3.4 clutch components except the throwout bearing. (I read in a few threads that you have to use the 3.0 one, if this is incorrect please let me know.) I'll be taking the oil pressure sender, oil pan, and pickup off of the 3.0. I also need to order the t100 dip stick tube, dip stick and all the other odds and ends to that. I'm ordering TrailGear motor mounts and their power steering conversion kit to mate the 3.4 with my IFS steering box. For the fuel I'm just going to flip the hose to the passenger side and join the return with high pressure barb fittings (this seemed to be the best and easiest way but I'm open to better options). For cooling I'm going to try to stick with the 3.0 rad and have a derale electric fan. (I honestly don't think the stock 3.0 rad is going to cool it with the SC though) I've also decided that I'm going to do the wiring myself and have started going through the EWD's on my spare time. For the hood clearance I plan on cutting the hood to fit the SC and maybe add a scoop later.

Thats the basic rundown so far. If you guys have and comments or suggestions please let me know. I've been reading reading reading since I made the first post and I still know there is somethings I've missed but thats why I'm here.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM

So... Hows it going?