3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

ok, i've looked into all swaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, i've looked into all swaps

and there are issues with them all. 1uzfe, make motor mounts and a bunch of trans issues and wiring and cooling. the 3.4 swap is the eisiest if you have manual because auto has electric issues, so my question would be this, can you put in a 3.4 and wire the engine properly and not get a cel? the reason i ask is because i live in cali and we got SMOGGGGG. and i need to tow a small boat.....
so its either a 3.4 or a 4.0, which one can be done at home in a basic garage?
oh and this is a dd. i can buy a cheap jeep and use that while i do the swap..
oh and i have a 1990 4runner with the 3.0 auto 4x4.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
M@

I don't think the 3.4 auto has any electric issues I've seen as long as you use the 3.4 auto tranny. Not many have be done which may be an issue for you. I haven't looked at a 4.0 swap, but it seems much less popular and likely more expensive.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 3.4 works quite well with an auto behind it, if you can trick the computer to thinking the transmission is in neutral. I believe that's how you beat that monkey.

Mechanically, it's an easy swap. Yes, you can get the engine to run properly with all smog controls intact. Best bet is to by a wrecked vehicle with everything in place and swap. Second best, make sure the yard that you're getting it from includes fan to flexplate, intake to oil pan, computer, MAF and EVAP box.

The rest is your time and labour, plus some extra bits and pieces.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM

SO IS THERE a thread that tells you how to trick the ecm?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by M@
I don't think the 3.4 auto has any electric issues I've seen as long as you use the 3.4 auto tranny. Not many have be done which may be an issue for you. I haven't looked at a 4.0 swap, but it seems much less popular and likely more expensive.
yeah but if i use the trans out of a 3rd gen then i have to use the transfer case and thats on the left not the right side like mine, and i really dont want to buy a trans too. the engine is expensive enough.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 76ANTHONY
yeah but if i use the trans out of a 3rd gen then i have to use the transfer case and thats on the left not the right side like mine, and i really dont want to buy a trans too. the engine is expensive enough.
Hey I am in the EXACT same boat and would love to do a swap this fall. I want to have all the planning phases done and ready to make the swap as painless as possible. This forum has some interesting ideas in it and I think it could be the best solution for both of us.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-a340h-128200/

The biggest issue with using the 340H that comes stock is the VSS #2 signal. It is a bit different from 2nd gen to 3rd gen and later. One solution is to use a T100 ECU and motor but that makes super charging tough. The other is to live with the CEL code/light. Team Shift Point found a solution but never expressly wrote up what it was. I'm jumping to conclusions but I think it had something to do with an after market sensor. (this one I think : http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30862.0)

Where are you in CA. Might be able to compare notes and shed some light down the tunnel.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I am sure a lot of people will have issue with this post but thats ok. Have you though of the 4.3 chevy? I know that there are a few that have swapped and one current thread about swapping now. It my understanding that there is a lot less electrical / wiring issues with the 4.3. Then again i am not sure if cali law will let you do the swap. Just a thought.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
I am sure a lot of people will have issue with this post but thats ok. Have you though of the 4.3 chevy? I know that there are a few that have swapped and one current thread about swapping now. It my understanding that there is a lot less electrical / wiring issues with the 4.3. Then again i am not sure if cali law will let you do the swap. Just a thought.
Originally I was heading that direction. I still like the idea and I think that if it passed smog, the State of CA could give a rip. The 3.4 just seemed a little more advantageous for a few reasons. One, it's a direct bolt in. Two I think it gets better mileage. Might need to do a pro vs. con analysis on the two options.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM

I can confirm that yes, indeed, I do get better mileage with mine versus the 3.0 and I'm even turning 33s. The thing would hardly get out of it's own way with the 3.0 turning 31s.

I'm getting somewhere around 450-475 kms per tank (works out to 20-23 mpg-ish), depending on my right foot.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM

That is what I've been reading. I currently get about 400km (17 mpg) with pathetic little pathmax 245s. My last couple 4Runners got even less than that with 31's.

RobD - How do you like the OME springs/shocks. I want to add a 3rd row bench for hauling people to the ski lifts and I'm going to need the extra lift. Any suggestions.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

i am ancious to see if phills4runner (i think that his screen name) chimes in on this. He did the 3.4 swap and had a lot of electrical issues. He is now going 4.3 due to ease of installation and price of parts. I would think the 4.3 would come close to the 3.4 in mpg's and it also has more power.
I have driven the 3.0 and daily drive a 3.4. If i was going to go to the trouble then i would want a little more ummph.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM

It has been almost a year to the day that I started the swap. Finished it mid-August last year. Since the, I have now put on over 46000 kms (about 28500 miles for those of you south of the border) and have had zero problems with my swap. Not one.

If I want more oomph, it will be at the hands of a supercharger. Maybe next year...

As for the OME springs, I bought the medium rate ones and love them. No sag on the rear end and we carry all our luggage (me and three teen girls) and the things rides beautifully.

I'm not entirely sure where you're going to mount a third row, especially legally and safely. There ain't a whole lotta room back there. You have midgets for friends?

Last edited by RobD; 08-06-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not go with a 4.7L V8 from a Tundra? if you are going to increase power and want really good fuel economy and have the funds, i would. i had a 2003 Tundra with the 4.7L and with the VVT-i, i got around 24MPG which is good because i did not take off slow.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Pretty sure it won't just bolt in and my guess is the engine compartment isn't quite big enough.

RobD - I do have migets for friends and the prefer to be called lil' people Actually a couple of my friends are under 5' and I expect the third row won't be completely "legal". It may end up more like a little nest so the girls can sleep on the way up. Thanks for the info on the OMEs
Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by syber_kowboy
I'm jumping to conclusions but I think it had something to do with an after market sensor. (this one I think : http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30862.0)
That's the sensor for the speedometer (in the transfer case output). Some had electrical senders and some where mechanical.

The sensor that is the problem for the 3.4 swap is the one for the ECU, it in the middle of the tranny.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's the sensor for the speedometer (in the transfer case output). Some had electrical senders and some where mechanical.

The sensor that is the problem for the 3.4 swap is the one for the ECU, it in the middle of the tranny.
I actually realized that after I posted it. I thought about editing the post but didn't get around to it. Thanks for the correction though.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 PM

why not just use the 340h???
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Pretty sure it won't just bolt in and my guess is the engine compartment isn't quite big enough.

RobD - I do have migets for friends and the prefer to be called lil' people Actually a couple of my friends are under 5' and I expect the third row won't be completely "legal". It may end up more like a little nest so the girls can sleep on the way up. Thanks for the info on the OMEs
If they're over 19, I'd be happy to help keep them warm back there.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 PM

Hey I am in the EXACT same boat and would love to do a swap this fall. I want to have all the planning phases done and ready to make the swap as painless as possible. This forum has some interesting ideas in it and I think it could be the best solution for both of us.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-a340h-128200/

The biggest issue with using the 340H that comes stock is the VSS #2 signal. It is a bit different from 2nd gen to 3rd gen and later. One solution is to use a T100 ECU and motor but that makes super charging tough. The other is to live with the CEL code/light. Team Shift Point found a solution but never expressly wrote up what it was. I'm jumping to conclusions but I think it had something to do with an after market sensor. (this one I think : http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30862.0)

Where are you in CA. Might be able to compare notes and shed some light down the tunnel.
SORRY I HAVENT REPLIED back in a while, caught up at work.
i live about 10 miles east of palm springs in palm desert, where are u?
and yes this is the only reason i will not or have not done the 3.4 swap yet, if im gonna have elec issues im going 4.0 1uzfe, heck i can weld up a motor mount or two and think of the power i would have, but then again there arent many people that have swapped the 3.0 for the 1uz with the same auto and 4x4....
im actually thinkin bout a jeep cherokee
Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 AM

which auto are you going to use behind the iuzfe?

Quick Reply: ok, i've looked into all swaps