3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

NEWBIE's CHEAP SWAP 3.4 from 97 4runner auto ----> 88 4runner 3.0 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4runner 3.4 auto into 88 4runner 3.0 5speed, 97 auto harness --> 5speed

To start with I would like that thank all the contributing members you have inspired me to tackle the 3.4 swap...your all so knowable and helpful! I have been lurking here for a while now and am blown away with yotatech you guys rock!

This post will hopefully keep me sane in the course of the swap and keep my thoughts all in one place along with much needed help.

Here goes...Ok so I sold my built 95 wrangler and bought a 88 4runner with a blown 3.0 5 speed It's in great shape with 154,xxx ish miles I'm pumped I have always wanted a first gen 4 runner. My gf has a 2002 4runner so i will have a engine/vehicle to look at when questions arise.

I have acquired a good 97 4runner 3.4 with an auto ecu and harness, along with almost everything I need for the swap from the downer 4runner If any one has 3 coils and a set of plug wires please let me know, the po sold them off the engine before I bought it. If you can believe it or not I drove from Marquette Mi to Milwaukee Wi with my 01 ford focus wagon, removed the spare tire placed a tire with out a rim in its place and loaded the engine with a cherry picker into the back with just inches to spare, the oil pan sat perfectly in the tire and held the engine great. I didn't bottom put the entire 500mi trip! I will get a pic my buddy has up here for you guys!

I wouldn't have done the swap but a 3.4 for $1400 i had to jump on it! I just graduated college on Dec. 11 with a BS in CJ from Northern Michigan University and am unemployed broke and just moved intro a new house with my longtime g/f and am now practically tool less compared to being spoiled with my college roommates snap-on complete set along with air tools. So for now I will be working with what I have and get what I need along the way. Also I am now living in a new city (Traverse City Mi) with my g/f so she will be my only helping hand so thing may get interesting lol. So needless to say, if your in the TC area of MI and wanna drink some beer and bs while wrenching shoot me a message! or email me at TimRogers@alumni.nmu.edu

At this point I'm ready to pull the 3.slow, I dont foresee any issues but only time will tell, i will post pics and questions as they arise. I labeled all connections and vacuum hoses b/c i was going to drop a good 3.0 in but went the 3.4 swap route. So after I pull the parts needed for the swap from the engine, if any one needs 3.0 parts or a good core let me know.

I need to get a cherry picker and engine stand ASAP!

Any one use a pulley from there rafters to pull the engine?

This will be my 2nd engine removal and first install/swap. I am very mechanically inclined and have been wrenching my entire life given I'm only 24. I'm sure mechanically everything will be go smoothly what concerns me is the wiring. I am determined to use the 97 auto harness and ecu and stick with my r150f, b/c I'm broke and trying to keep this cheap and not pay as much for the 5speed harness and ecu as the engine. Here in michigan there is zero emissions testing!!! But it would be nice to have no CEL's, i've read with the auto harness and manual trans you are sure to have codes. Can any one confirm this? I have downloaded the EWD for the 974runner but cant find one for the 88 3.0 auto, any one know where I can find one for this exact year, as I've read wearing colors change from year to year. (I see a lot online for 88 but all are 22r specific) Ideally the way to go would be to get a 5speed engine harness and ecu for a 97 but those things are TOUGH to find. Any one have one by chance?

I am going to print out the 97's EWD and start labeling what I need using....

"5VZFE swap wiring (theMonch)" and "Toyota 3.4 Swap Wiring Theory and Execution by theMonch"

along with the ORS 5vze swap instructions for there swap kit

I am going to use the ORS instructions to make sure I don't miss anything.

The simplest thing but not likely would be to find someone who has done the exact swap and get there wiring notes for a 97 4runner auto engine harness and ecu hooked up to a 88 3.0 5speed (what wire/colors go to what)

I will keep this updated!

Last edited by tirogers; 12-27-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 PM

pics

pics attached
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You will want the 97 4Runner manual engine harness and ECU as the plugs are different on that year alone and specific to that year.

Doing a 3.4 swap on my 90 4Runner 2 door with 97 4Runner 3.4, manual wiring harness and ecu with R150F from a 92 4Runner.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37/

More information there.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You dont need to use the manual harness but I would grab a manual ECM and pick up some plugs. You can rewire the auto harness for the manual ECM and get no codes and even be smog legal if you need to be. I only paid $40 for my manual ECM and I already had the plugs. 3 of the plugs from your 3.0 harness will fit into the 97 manual ECM so you will only need to get one from a dealer/wrecker.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Update

Originally Posted by dntsdad
You dont need to use the manual harness but I would grab a manual ECM and pick up some plugs. You can rewire the auto harness for the manual ECM and get no codes and even be smog legal if you need to be. I only paid $40 for my manual ECM and I already had the plugs. 3 of the plugs from your 3.0 harness will fit into the 97 manual ECM so you will only need to get one from a dealer/wrecker.
Thats relieving, now that you mention it, i do remember reading your build dntsdad, great read!

DEC 27th browsing craigs list i found a free engine hoist just 20mi away!!!!!!!! Can you believe that, jackpot! to the toy gods!

dntsdad the manual ECU I need, needs to be from a 97 or older right? dont quote me but if i remember right all (auto and Manuel) harness to ECU plugs went to the auto's design right? So that means if i want to use the existing 3.0 ecu plugs from my 3.0 engine then it needs to be an ECU from before they changed to the same plugs on both auto and manual right?

remember i have a 3.0 5 speed now and it was originally an auto, all the plugs are unmolested

any one have Manuel ECU plugs?
Attached Thumbnails NEWBIE's CHEAP SWAP 3.4 from 97 4runner auto ----> 88 4runner 3.0 5speed-cherry-picker-free.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Yes, get a 97 ECM and from a RUNNER not a Tacoma. They are different. Some Tacos will have an EGR system and some wont. You can not have to worry about if the ECM is for a EGR system or not by just getting a Runner ECM from the get.

Car-part.com is a good resource for ECM's and is where I eventually found mine.

The manual plugs are going to be hard to find I would think. I got lucky and my ECM had the plugs in it with about 4-5 inches of wire sticking out. Just FYI, I DID NOT use the 3.0 plugs but i have read instances where others have. I did verify that the plugs DO fit into the 97 Runner ECM that I have. Like I said though, you will need to find that one missing plug, or the whole set which would be optimal.

The dealer may be a resource but I cannot imagine the pain in the butt that would be......at least with the guys that work at my local dealer. They are about as unfriendly and useless as they come. Maybe your area is different. Toyota of Dallas might be worth a shot.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Ecu

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Yes, get a 97 ECM and from a RUNNER not a Tacoma. They are different. Some Tacos will have an EGR system and some wont. You can not have to worry about if the ECM is for a EGR system or not by just getting a Runner ECM from the get.

Car-part.com is a good resource for ECM's and is where I eventually found mine.

The manual plugs are going to be hard to find I would think. I got lucky and my ECM had the plugs in it with about 4-5 inches of wire sticking out. Just FYI, I DID NOT use the 3.0 plugs but i have read instances where others have. I did verify that the plugs DO fit into the 97 Runner ECM that I have. Like I said though, you will need to find that one missing plug, or the whole set which would be optimal.

The dealer may be a resource but I cannot imagine the pain in the butt that would be......at least with the guys that work at my local dealer. They are about as unfriendly and useless as they come. Maybe your area is different. Toyota of Dallas might be worth a shot.

I found a 5speed ECU but it has the plugs for a 98? Or newer style, where they all changed to the auto type, this would work too right? as I could repin the plugs on my 5vz (auto) engine harness (as opposed from taking them from the 3.slow harness) to effectively make it a 5 speed harness......just need to confirm it is from a 4runner. If however it's not what headaches would the ECU thinking its a EGR engine cause? I would also need to know the exact year the ECU came from correct? Knowing the year would be for EWD purposes. Or am i mistaken and all manual's pinouts once they changed to the same design as the auto's the same? I know auto and Manuel are not, but are 5speed to 5speed pinout locations different from year to year after they changed the plug's?

this all sounds good in my head, but please dont be shy, and ask for clarification if ya need! I get ALOT!

Last edited by tirogers; 12-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by tirogers
I found a 5speed ECU but it has the plugs for a 98? Or newer style, where they all changed to the auto type, this would work too right? as I could repin the plugs on my 5vz (auto) engine harness (as opposed from taking them from the 3.slow harness) to effectively make it a 5 speed harness......just need to confirm it is from a 4runner. If however it's not what headaches would the ECU thinking its a EGR engine cause? I would also need to know the exact year the ECU came from correct? Knowing the year would be for EWD purposes. Or am i mistaken and all manual's pinouts once they changed to the same design as the auto's the same? I know auto and Manuel are not, but are 5speed to 5speed pinout locations different from year to year after they changed the plug's?

this all sounds good in my head, but please dont be shy, and ask for clarification if ya need! I get ALOT!
I would imagine that they did change, even slightly over the years. Check out Mosk's sticky for confirmation either way.

Regarding everything else, I think that you are thinking exactly correct. I personally cont confirm everything you mentioned 100% but I think that you are right. Hopefully someone smarter than me and you will post in this thread because this would be useful for everyone in the future as well. I think that if you study Jeff's (Mosk) sticky you will get all your answers

As far as searching for the EGR, it would surely throw a code but as far negative drivability effects I am not sure on that either.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM

"Mosk's sticky" I forgot to mention that one, it is the greatest/ most complete document I have found. THANKS MOSK!!!!

As for the time being I am putting wiring on hold, but am looking for a ECU for a 5speed 98 or newer 4runner so i can use my existing plugs, i have the entire downer dash harness too so i have all the plugs, and with MOSK's pdf and the FSM things are looking good.

Just moved into my new place, used a tow dolly to get my Toy here, wish I would have stopped at a DIY car wash before it went in the garage!

3.0 is almost out, space is tight in my garage and im still confused how I am going to make this work with the garage door remaining closed so I can retail what little heat I have. I NEED A HEATER!!!! 27 degrees F in there right now.

My 4runner is stock height with bald 31's, for some reason I'm foresee a tough time getting the cherry picker to go high enough w/ out hitting the rafters......roll it in into the 2 car garage at an angle? going to take some measurements....

space is all that's holding me back now.....that and the 2 top remaining bell housing bolts ha speak of small spaces good thing for wobbler extensions and cheater bars....oh and the hood need to come off....and finish assembling engine stand

to the garage i go

oh, on a side note what are the two cooling lines that run from the driver side firewall to the back of the 4runner on the driver side about 1/2" diameter hard line? I need to replace one/both they are old.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get some solid 4" blocks of wood, pull your tires off, and set the Toyota on the blocks to lower it enough to use your picker.

Just a suggestion.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Get some solid 4" blocks of wood, pull your tires off, and set the Toyota on the blocks to lower it enough to use your picker.

Just a suggestion.

I hope i don't have to go that far, but i was thinking I could air down

things are tight but it appears it is going to work....but w/ out the engine/load leveler things for my cherry picker and the legs extended very little if any. Using it to put the 3.4 in would be nice!

on another side note, i have tried looking but cant find if this ECU/ECM is from a 4runner for tacoma, maybe someone can help? a year would be kinda nice too!

ENGINE CONTROL TOYOTA 89661-0Y010 2-04060 M/T 4X4 5VZ

• MODEL / PART #:
89660-04890-00

I had him re-list it for me, after missing the close of the auction with zero bids last time, please no one else bid lol or i will any input would be great!

EDIT: link no work? it doesnt for me either......... google or search ebay for: Item number: 270687621876

Last edited by tirogers; 01-04-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 AM

That ECM should be a 2003 which I believe would be throttle by wire. I would pass on that. You are getting too far from your motor's year in my opinion and just asking or issues.

You couldnt find anything on car-part. I know that you said that they were less than helpful but all junkyards are like that. Persistence!!!

and ya I had to pull the valve stem from my wheels to deflate the tires to get the motor out. Then pull off the wheels so more room. Everytime I change the tranny (which hopefully this is the last......this is the 4th time) I have to 100% deflate as well to get the tranny high enough.

Last edited by dntsdad; 01-05-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks DNTSDAD your the man! I will keep trying Car-part.com for an ECU

The 3.0 is out and on the engine stand!!!!

I am now going to clean up the engine bay area, remove what ever left over un-necessary stuff that's still on the fender wells etc etc

Still on the hunt for an ECU tho!

For Sale, one 3.Slow w/ rod knock, heads should be ok. Minus the parts needed for my 3.4 swap of course!

I'm trying to get pics up, there coming!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
where are you located .. theres a 97 4runner at the pick n pull in san jose .

it is a 3.4 didnt have the engine .. but not sure about the ecu didnt check.

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inven...er&Distance=20
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 AM

There are a bunch on there. Finding the plugs is going to be the hard part. Hopefully you can find some hackers that just cut the harness and left the plugs in the ECM.

Here is what I came up with about 2 minutes ago. There are more but these were the cheapest ones. I have a 97 Runner motor that was an auto and use ECM #89661-3D310 with no codes and I didnt change a single sensor.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 PM

utorrent huh?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Strictly for research purposes only.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Update

Thanks dntsdad, ideally i would like to find someone parting one out and have them cut the plugs with it and get a GOOD price, i just cant justify 100+ when if I know i keep looking I will find one on the cheap.

RMA, if you go there for your self and think to have a look for, then please let me know would ya? Here in MI people laugh and look at you funny when you ask if they have any Toyota or foreign parts for that matter

Still no reliable internet access at the new place until tomorrow, have been borrowing the neighbors, until it crapped out and am now using my data cable for my cell to access the net on my laptop blah blah blah will try posting pics, updates, and questions in next post

sorry to
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM

pics

putting pics on photo bucket and will link from there

out with the old

pretty clean, easy life?

I still am going to clean it up some, so we will call this the before cleaning pic.

All the pics: http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv357/tirogersnmu/

Last edited by tirogers; 01-06-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE's CHEAP SWAP 3.4 from 97 4runner auto ----> 88 4runner 3.0 5speed