3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Im going to school for toyota, wanna do the 3.4 swap, i have access to TIS, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going to school for toyota, wanna do the 3.4 swap, i have access to TIS, need help

I have some extra cash id like to throw into a 3.4L swap, but im kinda nervous as in the fact that im really good at screwing myself over.
I have been reading many forums and im having a bit of trouble finding/developing a parts list.

Im not worried about being able to do anything mechanical or electrical, im not new to being a mechanic either. Im just worried that i might run into a few problems and as i am in school right now and this is my daily driver, i wanna do it right and as quickly as i can... the first time.

What im looking for are some words of advise and a little bit of help, this is a great website and it has been more than a lot of help to me in the past, i also think that i will have a lot to contribute back to you guys.

NOW this is my situation:

I have a 1994 4runner in perfect condition. It has a 5 inch lift and new 33 inch bfg muds
[IMG][/IMG]
THE BAD - the 3vz headgasket is leaking coolant, not blown in usual #6 cylinder or whatever, just leaking coolant down front of block, used radiator stopleak, works fine but needs fix soon.

So now i have the choice...
To pull the 3vz with 185K+ miles and fix the headgasket and possibly rebuild for NO power and waste money....
-OR-
regear it to 4.88. gears are stupid expensive and hard to find im discovering...
-OR-
3.4L Swap.

I can drop about 1k into this swap, i was saving to rebuild the 3vz engine, but im not psyched about the whole 14 mpg and no balls issue, and im understanding a rebuild wont fix this

Im here in Arizona and i see some 3.4L for not too much ($450 to $700)

I dont want to buy anything until im sure or have a good plan.

So my questions are as follows:

-Is $1,000 feasible?

-I have an automatic transmission, but have access to a manual one for fairly cheap, do i need to swap it or can i make it work?

-What are the common wiring issues? I hear of the issues but cant find exactly what they are. So i dont know what to prepare for...
i have access to TIS so i have every toyota wiring diagram known to man anytime i want it, but it sounds like i need to custom work it.

-Anyone have a parts list.....

-I know the issues with the clutch slave cylinder, oil pickup, and crossover pipe, and i will need to fix these before i drop in the engine, so where can i buy a premade crossover?

-What other issues to look for?

-Is it really just as simple as drop in and bolt up?

-does the donor engine need to be a 4x4? will a 4x2 work? does it need to be a manual? what if its an automatic?

-how will i get the to 4x4 work? Is it all mechanical in the manuals? what about the front add? How will i get it to lock? isnt that computer controlled?

-Do a/c lines from mine fit into the new compressor?

-I think i have the R-112 freon in mine cause its a 93, what will i do as im sure the newer compressor will need 134a?

-And what kind of gas mileage should i expect? (with stock gears) 4.10 i think

-what do i do about the emissions?

Last edited by Whiteman51x; 01-19-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiteman51x
I have some extra cash id like to throw into a 3.4L swap, but im kinda nervous as in the fact that im really good at screwing myself over.
I have been reading many forums and im having a bit of trouble finding/developing a parts list.

Im not worried about being able to do anything mechanical or electrical, im not new to being a mechanic either. Im just worried that i might run into a few problems and as i am in school right now and this is my daily driver, i wanna do it right and as quickly as i can... the first time.

What im looking for are some words of advise and a little bit of help, this is a great website and it has been more than a lot of help to me in the past, i also think that i will have a lot to contribute back to you guys.

NOW this is my situation:

I have a 1994 4runner in perfect condition. It has a 5 inch lift and new 33 inch bfg muds
[IMG][/IMG]
THE BAD - the 3vz headgasket is leaking coolant, not blown in usual #6 cylinder or whatever, just leaking coolant down front of block, used radiator stopleak, works fine but needs fix soon.

So now i have the choice...
To pull the 3vz with 185K+ miles and fix the headgasket and possibly rebuild for NO power and waste money....
-OR-
regear it to 4.88. gears are stupid expensive and hard to find im discovering...
-OR-
3.4L Swap.

I can drop about 1k into this swap, i was saving to rebuild the 3vz engine, but im not psyched about the whole 14 mpg and no balls issue, and im understanding a rebuild wont fix this

Im here in Arizona and i see some 3.4L for not too much ($450 to $700)

I dont want to buy anything until im sure or have a good plan.

So my questions are as follows:
Nice Rig by the way. I will try to answer some of your questions since nobody has taken it. I am not an expert by any means but I'll give you my OPINION.
-Is $1,000 feasible?
No. Wasnt even close for me
-I have an automatic transmission, but have access to a manual one for fairly cheap, do i need to swap it or can i make it work?
Depends on your donor. If you get a donor that was auto its ECM is going to want to see the trans as well or you will get trouble codes. Being out of California, I am not sure this matters for your emissions testing, if you even have that.
-What are the common wiring issues? I hear of the issues but cant find exactly what they are. So i dont know what to prepare for...
i have access to TIS so i have every toyota wiring diagram known to man anytime i want it, but it sounds like i need to custom work it.
Honestly the wiring is fairly simple. My biggest issue is the AC.
I think that would be vehicle dependent. You'll need a crossover, exhaust, some clutch parts if you go that route, oil pan, mounts, some other stuff. Many of your 3.0 items will crossover. Read all the threads here that have completed swaps done. some names that jump out in my head. RobD, MT goat, evoltra, yotaman, neoworm, mine, cadman
-I know the issues with the clutch slave cylinder, oil pickup, and crossover pipe, and i will need to fix these before i drop in the engine, so where can i buy a premade crossover?
No idea. Let me know if you find a place
Read all those threads. Every issue i came across had been covered before that i can think of
Nope. Physically yes, many minor issues however.
-does the donor engine need to be a 4x4? will a 4x2 work? does it need to be a manual? what if its an automatic?
Dont know. I got a 4x4 Runner. A 2x4 would present transmission issues i would think but do not know.
-how will i get the to 4x4 work? Is it all mechanical in the manuals? what about the front add? How will i get it to lock? isnt that computer controlled?
Ultimately its vacuum controlled so you could get around the computer i would think. I dont use that. I have replaced my add with a non-add differential and axle tube so i never looked into that.
Yes, you change the top plate where the lines attach, again, read all those threads.
-I think i have the R-112 freon in mine cause its a 93, what will i do as im sure the newer compressor will need 134a?
Not sure on all this either. Many guys have reported mixing and matching components between years and R12 and 134 with great success. I cant say first hand what works. Currently I have the 92 system with the 3.4 compressor. I haven't charged it yet though since I am not sure on the wiring and its cold out.
Surely better, but not sure. Mine idles and that about it as of yet.
talk to your local inspector, station, etc. to find requirements BEFORE you start. Many guys from Arizona i have read about seemingly do nothing. Maybe they just do not discuss it in their threads though.
I think you have a serious 2 weeks of reading to do before you even move to the next level of thinking about this swap. Evoltra's thread alone will take you a solid 1 1/2 hours. Mt Goats....another 2 hours.

I cant suggest enough buying a complete wreck rather than just a motor. Remember, the motor is ONE piece to the many you are going to need and they all have to work together perfectly. May as well but a matching set(a wrecked donor) already made to work together.

If you do decide to start post up your project here. There are many great guys here willing to lend advice and help you out along the way.

Good luck

Last edited by dntsdad; 01-19-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-Is $1,000 feasible?

If you can get the entire engine, from fan to flywheel, intake to oil pan, computer and uncut harness, yes. Guys have managed to find them for that much. Mine was $2000, but I'm in Canada and 3.4s that are just sitting around are harder to come by.

That would depend on the testing required for emissions in your area. My understanding is that you could probably get away with it, but everything would have to match, ie. computer from a manual and all exhaust running in the same locations as the donor it was pulled from. If emissions aren't a problem in your area, then doing the manual swap at the same time would probably be easier than sticking with the auto.

It's not that bad, actually. Your engine harness will pretty much plug into the computer. What you need to do is splice into the body harness that's behind your right side kick panel. When you pull your 3.0 computer, there are two connectors there for all your dash stuff, etc. Cut the matching plugs off your 3.0 engine side harness and splice them onto the 3.4 engine side harness. What you need to do is find what wire does what in the truck, then find it's twin on the 3.4 harness.

You can't, so far as I know, since ORS went off the air. I had one made by using the old one that came with the 3.4. They basically flipped it to the other side. Make sure they use the expansion joint in the middle, otherwise it will crack. Don't ask how I know.

Mechanically, it is quite simple. Swap the oil pans and oil pick up tubes, swap the 3.0 engine mounts, flip the fuel line, and drop it in. It does bolt up. Surprised the hell out of me how easy that part was. You'll need to shift the battery to the driver's side.

If you're going manual, I think you'd be better off with a 3.4 from a manual, simply because you're more likely to get a flywheel with it.

I swapped to manual hubs and locked my ADD actuator. I'm pretty sure others got their VSVs to work afterwards, but I just didn't care enough to. Mine isn't computer controlled.

I'll let you know sometime this year, if I ever get mine to work. My 4Runner didn't come with A/C, so I'm still piecing a system together.

Have it purged, install the new system, then run 134a. That's probably the easiest way.

I get 20-23 mpg running 33s with stock gears. It's just so much more fun than the 3.0, I can't resist punching the throttle a fair bit.

You'll have to check your area.

This is the site I found to be most helpful, even if it isn't the most detailed:

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37/

Any questions, drop me a note.

Last edited by RobD; 01-19-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the $1,000 feasible, yes. I have seen entire wrecked tacomas, and 4Runners with 3.4L around here recently for a grand. (Wish they were around when I started mine.)

Mechanically it was really easy. Wiring isn't bad just have to stare at diagrams. Still working on mine so we will see.

As for the A/C mine is fitted together but I have to repair my line cause it was damaged.
I'm going with manual hubs so I don't have to worry about the ADD. I also got my engine from a 4x4 tacoma with the manual trans. Just in case it matters though I don't think it does.
Seeing as you are in AZ, I don't know about your emissions, here in Colorado I don't have to worry about it. Also time wise you are in in AZ so at least you have a lot better weather for doing this. (Seeing as our high is in the thirties and snow is forcasted makes working on this a real pain)

By the way that is a gorgeous 4Runner, no rust (which we have a lot of) And no dirt. Thats what I'm hoping mine will look like for my DD.

Last edited by yodathespian87; 01-20-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the solid info guys, i guess i will be doing much much much more reading before i attempt this.

Quick question for ya!

I just figured out that i have the rare stock 4.88 gears. my gear code is that G144 or whatever.

Im going to check tonight, i can post a picture of my vin sticker if u guys want it, your supposed to run 4.88 with 33's right?

I dont want to pull the thread in a different direction but do you guys think a manual swap would give me significantly better gas mileage?
I think that the gearing in a manual transmission would give me some more get up and go cause the gears would be a bit smaller (or "taller" might be the word?), and there are 5 versus the auto's 4 speed.
If i combine that with the 4.88 gears would that matter?Or is my reasoning wrong?

I might just fix the headgasket problem and swap in a manual transmission, ride the 3.slow into the ground and then, when im all graduated with that toyota certification ill swap in something real unique like a hybrid engine and try to get like 40 mpg lol

And the truck gets very dirty trust me hahaha, i just got sick of getting myself dirty getting in and out of it, i have to run and jump into it cause im only 5'9" and the mud gets all over meee

And for some reason i love to pressure wash things....... its just fun....

Last edited by Whiteman51x; 01-20-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will more than likely get a few more miles per precious gallon with the 5 speed. Running the 33s with 4.88s wouldn't be a problem, since it will keep you just a little higher in the 3.4's powerband. I run 33s with the 4.10s and have no problems with most hills I encounter, including hitting 8% grades in the Rockies, only needing to downshift a couple times.

What you will notice is that it's way more fun to drive.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO $1000 isn't realistic unless you're getting the motor for free.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM

nothing is free around here lol. some good deals, but im thinking its not feasable, ill just save and wait until i get more money or sell this perfect runner for a newer taco, do our trucks weigh about as much as the new tacomas?

and i checked the gearing and i have 4.56's (jacked up the tire and rotated the tire 20 times while counting 45 1/2 turns of the driveshaft
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 AM

U can do it for a grand, but your going to have to scrounge and get good deals on stuff etc.... I got mine done for right at a grand and that included fixing my leaking stock rad etc... But i got my engine, harness, ecu.. etc.. for $550, and i built my own cross over and made my own adapter harness.

Unless you get the engine/ecu, harness for free or near it though to meet your grand budget you'l need to build the cross over and adapter harness yourself.

You have unexpected costs of course as you would anything like this along the way. Things will take longer than you think, you'll forget to order/find, buy.. etc... somthing along the way and you'll have to wait to get it.
point being.. this will take you some time so you'll need another DD in the mean time.

Your going to need alot of things from the donor truck.. emmisions.. etc... It would be best to have access to the truck after you buy the engine.. ecu etc.. so you can get stuff you forget. Otherwise... the "little things" you forget add up in a hurry along the way!!