Oh, now that's just purty.

Brian
Old 07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Asha'man
Oh, now that's just purty.

Brian
Thanks, yeah purty until the first mud hole anyway lol.
Attached Thumbnails 3.4 swap started-cnv0740.jpg  

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-20-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a quick question about your electic fan:

Do you know if the Taurus fan will be enough flow to cool your engine? I was under the impression that a Taurus fan might not be enough for a supercharged 3.4...

Just wondering is all...
Old 07-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
I have a quick question about your electic fan:

Do you know if the Taurus fan will be enough flow to cool your engine? I was under the impression that a Taurus fan might not be enough for a supercharged 3.4...

Just wondering is all...
Well I hope so, guess I'm about to find out. My custom shroud which completely seals with the radiator should help, it fits tighter than my stock 3.0 shroud did. Also it's wired to run on high speed if needed. The 170 deg highflow thermostat will help too.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Well I hope so, guess I'm about to find out. My custom shroud which completely seals with the radiator should help, it fits tighter than my stock 3.0 shroud did. Also it's wired to run on high speed if needed. The 170 deg highflow thermostat will help too.
Yikes :pat:

I don't think that fan will be able to keep up with your engine/tranny combo, you need more power. Lately there has been a discovery that the Taurus Fan can't keep up with a 3.0/Auto. Best guess is because the Auto tranny puts out too much heat through the tranny cooler, since it works fine with the 5spd.

I hope it does work, but be ready to possibly upgrade your fan. Is your radiator a stock 3.0, or are you upgrading somehow???

I don't mean to beat a dead horse and by all means try what you have first, but I am suspicious of the set-up.

EDIT:
I don't mean to douse the party down, by all means keep rocking it with that bad-a$$ set-up.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-20-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Yikes :pat:

I don't think that fan will be able to keep up with your engine/tranny combo, you need more power. Lately there has been a discovery that the Taurus Fan can't keep up with a 3.0/Auto. Best guess is because the Auto tranny puts out too much heat through the tranny cooler, since it works fine with the 5spd.

I hope it does work, but be ready to possibly upgrade your fan. Is your radiator a stock 3.0, or are you upgrading somehow???

I don't mean to beat a dead horse and by all means try what you have first, but I am suspicious of the set-up.

EDIT:
I don't mean to douse the party down, by all means keep rocking it with that bad-a$$ set-up.
Hey I welcome the input, that's one of my reasons for posting this stuff. So please anyone bring it on, I can handle it.

Thanks Brian, I'll keep a close watch on a lot of gauges for overheating issues, EGT, trans temp, water temp, and cooling fan output.

I agree the auto tranny will be dumping an extra load on the cooling system. Maybe I should think about bypassing the factory radiator cooler all together? Did you see the extra tranny coolers I have installed? Just in case you missed them, here's the pic again below. I'd feel pretty good about just letting those 2 coolers do all the ATF cooling duties. The valve body upgrade I did also will help reduce the heat from the tranny.

I will be using a 3.0, (3 core) radiator (new aftermarket). The 3.4 radiators are shaped different and won't fit our earlier trucks. They are wider and thinner (only 1 core).

I believe (could be wrong) a lot of the overheating issues guys are having with the e-fans is they are not maximizing the flow thought the radiator because of poorly fitting shrouds. It's not how many CFMs your fan will move, it's how many CFMs your fan will force through the radiator. And you said yourself Brian in another thread that everyone (you know of) has a 2 inch gap at the bottom of their Taurus fan shroud. A two inch gap seems like pretty big gap to me, where the air flow is being allowed to bypass the radiator cores.

Another thing I see a possible problem with other's e-fan set-ups is fan control. If the temp probe doesn't see the heat and turn the fan on soon enough you over-heat before the fan can respond.

Brian what e-fan do you know of that moves more CFMs than the Taurus fan? I've seen claims that this Taurus fan moves 4000-4500 CFM on high speed IIRC. When I hook up the fan directly to a battery it really seems to move some serious air.

The e-fan seems like a no-brainer to me for the 3.4 swap because the 3.4 mechanical fan doesn't fit the 3.0 radiator shroud, so a 3.0 fan must be used to go mechanically. Also the body lift required to fit the engine under the hood, forces the fan into a bad position relative to the fan shroud. In some cases part of the shroud has to be removed leaving a big gap and loss of forced air flow.
Attached Thumbnails 3.4 swap started-cnv0742.jpg  

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-21-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Brian what e-fan do you know of that moves more CFMs than the Taurus fan? I've seen claims that this Taurus fan moves 4000-4500 CFM on high speed IIRC. When I hook up the fan directly to a battery it really seems to move some serious air.
A Lincoln Mark VIII fan move more air, between 4300 ad 5500 cfm on hi. I think the the Taurus Fan moves 3500cfm on hi.

Lincoln Fan on Corvette Forums:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1441606

Other than that, the only stronger one I know of is an electric fan off of a Dodge Viper, but its really expensive. I think the Lincoln fan is more expensive than the Taurus, but still possible. Note it pulls 43 amps continuous on Hi, too much for the FK-35... you would probably want the FK-60.

EDIT: BTW- the Taurus fas is a 16" fan, the Lincoln fan is 18". Like I said, see what happens first, but if you have overheating issues, you do have an upgrade option.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-21-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

A Lincoln Mark VIII fan move more air, between 4300 ad 5500 cfm on hi. I think the the Taurus Fan moves 3500cfm on hi.

Lincoln Fan on Corvette Forums:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1441606

Other than that, the only stronger one I know of is an electric fan off of a Dodge Viper, but its really expensive. I think the Lincoln fan is more expensive than the Taurus, but still possible. Note it pulls 43 amps continuous on Hi, too much for the FK-35... you would probably want the FK-60.

EDIT: BTW- the Taurus fas is a 16" fan, the Lincoln fan is 18".
Thanks for the info Brian, I really hope I don't need it. I don't look forward to the thought of making another custom shroud or buying another controller.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Brian, I really hope I don't need it. I don't look forward to the thought of making another custom shroud or buying another controller.
I think any car that had a powerful V8 and is front wheel drive would need a big electric fan, so other possibilities might present themselves in Cadillacs also, perhaps STS's or something like that. Just a thought. I have only heard of the Lincoln fan, but it seems like a Cadillac might have one too.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Another quesiton: Did you get the DCC Linear Indicator to go along with the controller? I have it and it's great to know exactly how hard your fan is having to work at any one time...

A good way to help you measure how the Taurus Fan is doing with your engine.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Another quesiton: Did you get the DCC Linear Indicator to go along with the controller? I have it and it's great to know exactly how hard your fan is having to work at any one time...

A good way to help you measure how the Taurus Fan is doing with your engine.
Yes I got that, it was only $10 too. Well worth $10 if you ask me.

I wonder how any CFMs the stock 3.4 fan pulls, any idea?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Yes I got that, it was only $10 too. Well worth $10 if you ask me.

I wonder how any CFMs the stock 3.4 fan pulls, any idea?
No idea, but I'm sure it pulls a lot especially at high engine rpms... Max maybe 6000-8000 at 5000 rpms? It's more than any electric fan that I know. The advantage is that with an electric fan your engine can be idling (not generating very much heat) but the fan can still be pulling 4-5000 cfm to cool off the engine after some romping.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-21-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

I found a guy (Swanie2000) over on Custom Tacos that is running an e-fan and has the a very similar set-up as mine: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68399
Old 07-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats an outstanding looking engine...attention to detail at its finest! Keep up the good work because it sure is paying off! I just wish I had the patience for something like this...
Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 PM

i wich i had the money!!! but defenity commin together man can wawit to see this done
Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited about it as you can tell. It has been too much fun to be rushed though.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about a Flex-A-Lite fan? I think they have them in just about any size and cfm rating you could need.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
What about a Flex-A-Lite fan? I think they have them in just about any size and cfm rating you could need.
I haven't ever really heard anything good about FAL... Plus the "heavy duty" dual-fan ones are $$$$.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Dale-

I'm doing the same swap on my 93, but converting to a manual. How much of the stock 93 harness did you retain? I already have an ORS harness; i'm just wondering how much you kept.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Pretty much the whole body harness, did you get the ORS instructions? I haven't really started on connecting the conversion harness yet. I have to get the engine in first.

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap started