Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't go into gear

Purchased less than a week ago; '89 Toyota 4 X 4; 4 speed; manual; pickup truck with 210,000 miles. The truck had been sitting for a while (not sure how many months). The clutch pedal will go down and up - not a lot of pressure felt; It appears the Master Clutch Cylinder was low on fluid. Dot 3 Brake fluid has been added; I start the truck - keeping the clutch pedal pushed down - the transmission grinds if I try to put it into reverse, 1st, 2nd - really any gear. Does the fluid make its way to the slave cylinder by itself - is there something I must do - does this sound like a bad slave cylinder? (If so, how much work is it to change out?) Any other ideas? Thanks for any of your ideas.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I have learned over the years, there is a clutch master cyl, and a slave cyl. Generally speaking, it will be apparent if the slave is toast because there will be brake fluid everywhere.

If the clutch Master Cyl is gone, you will have a pressure problem with the engine running in the clutch pedal.

Intersting that the reservior is low. I would look into both those parts first. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
As I have learned over the years, there is a clutch master cyl, and a slave cyl. Generally speaking, it will be apparent if the slave is toast because there will be brake fluid everywhere.

If the clutch Master Cyl is gone, you will have a pressure problem with the engine running in the clutch pedal.

Intersting that the reservior is low. I would look into both those parts first. Good luck.

How much of a pressure problem (?), my Toyota Car lost both slave and master and the peddle went down and would not come back up - this peddle moves up and down - just without a lot of resistance. Master Cylinder still the culprit?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's hard to say over the net. I would lean toward the CMS. Are you sure the clutch assembly is ok?

I would run some diagnostic tests on the CSM and slave. You can find those in the FSM.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

i had a CRX that all of a sudden one day, wouldn't go in gear. seriously, on my way home, i went out of first and could not get into second or any other gear for that matter. all the fluids were fine. HERE'S THE WEIRD PART...if i let it sit for a day or so, it would go in gear for about 15 minutes and then it went back to its old ways again. turns out, the flywheel was slightly warped so the clutch wouldn't completely disengage when it heated up. the flywheel was warped just enough so that when it was cool, the clutch would disengage, but when it heated up and expanded ever so slightly, it was game over.

granted i have NEVER heard of that until it happened to me, its still a possibility. my .02
Old 10-14-2003, 11:50 AM

A little update; I assisted the owner of this truck, last night, in bleeding the clutch. We were able to get the 2nd, 4th and reversed gears to work. The 1st, 3rd and 5th gear still grind. I believe he might have stripped the first gear - which, I believe, nul and voids the other "up" gears. If anyone has other suggestions with these results, please feel free to respond.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:28 PM

I'll put a bet its the transmission.

My buddy's 86 had the same thing happened to him.

It would grind when he would try to put it in gear.

It turned out that it was his transmission.

He put in a new one.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

this happened to me once. i ended up puting some generic brake fluid in the resevoir and it solve the problem. but dont quote me on that