Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Warn winch rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn winch rebuild help

So I've been cleaning up my warn It came off my Jeep but I do need a new front bumper for my runner. The cable is rough but will work, a wee bit flat in some areas. The oil inside was done, more like varnish with water than oil.

This is the case to the motor, how much rust should be removed ie; do I need to remove the coils?Or is it a don't mess with it thing?

The inside top where the pads go, looks the worst. I plan on hitting the pads with some emery cloth, any precautions? The tape apperars OK.

this is the middle part of the motor, how can I clean the Black (tie-tie) section the section that hits the pads inside the cover, without eating up the clear coat I can only assume is on the section that is marked by the yellow (tie-tie). Is this section of wire coated? should I use some high temp paint and a Q-tip? and the Blue (tie-tie) is where the wire comes from inbetween the contact area from the other side does this have any coatings?

I have been using this site for help any other help would be great, links?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...274/index.html

thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:34 PM

The part you call the middle is the armature and the part youre showing dont need cleaning.The part that may need cleaning is the commutator which is where the brushes ride.Brushes are the spring loaded ,black,square things that ride on the commutator.Also;too much rust on the electro magnets will cause the armature to drag;so emery cloth those and not the wire windings.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for some help. I can manage the easy stuff but I'm not really smart with the insides of electric motors. I get the Idea but not sure on the spacifics, I suck at spelling sorry.
thanks
VR
Repo