Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Spark Plug Reccomendations 22re

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Reccomendations 22re

Anyone have any thoughts or good experiences with certain brand of spark plugs. I just remember the one time I went to get some plugs and the guy didn't want to sell me bosch platinum's cause he said it would do no good to buy them prolly do harm.... funny thing is that I've been running them for about 2 years.

So I guess what I'm getting at does the spark plug matter? Does it improve Hp or is it just a myth like alot claim the k&n filter Hp gains to be.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
When I had my 22RE I experimented with a few different types including the Bosch Plats with one prong, not the new 4 prongers.

I did not have much luck with them. I ended up going back with the stock Nippon Denso's, and that worked out best.
They hardly showed any signs of wear, even after lots of miles.
I also run the Denso's in the V6 now and whenever a set comes out, they look great, even after a few years.

Same with wires, cap, and rotor, I only use Toyota tune-up parts.
Use to use the Toy oil filter too, but have since switched over to the Amsoil one. It filters down a lot smaller particles than the Toyota filter can.

As far as a plug improving your performance, I don't think so.
You will see a perf jump if your old plugs were bad.
Performance Products carries those Split Fire plugs they rave about, and I have heard from several to stay away from them.
It's hype.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The advantage of platinum plugs is the platinum doesn't wear down like the steel electrodes (figure about .001" for 1000 miles I was taught. The disadvantage of platinum is it takes more power to jump the gap. So, if your system is only designed to do standard plugs, it could run like crap with platinums. The double platinums are even worse.
BUT!!! IF you system is designed for high output spark, the platinums are great.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:31 AM

Completely agreed with Yoda. You need to find out what kind of plugs are considered standard for your vehicle/engine and go from there. I personally would only recommend factory and NGK plugs. I've used Bosch in several vehicles and they've never impressed me. The Bosch +4 are not recommended for 4Runners because they burn too hot. The may/will induce knocking due to premature detonation and could ruin your cylinder heads.

I don't like platinum myself, but that's just me. I prefer the conductivity and power of copper and having to change them more often.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I, and I think everyone else, has prolly heard the story of the bosch 4's putting a hole in someone's piston. Don't know how much that is true but I must agree with the negative reaction with the platinums. They haven't made the muscort I have now run any better. Prolly made it worse. Anywho thanks for the replies. Got any specific places you all get your NGK plugs?
Old 08-01-2002, 08:51 PM

Re: Spark Plug Reccomendations 22re

Originally posted by Krash

So I guess what I'm getting at does the spark plug matter? Does it improve Hp or is it just a myth like alot claim the k&n filter Hp gains to be.

Use the factory Nippondesnso ones (W16EXRU) and set them to .035, if you want extended intervals instead of every 15K, use the platinum ones from a 1988 Toyota Van, this will be the P16R, good for 60K, NGK's is my second choice, while Botched Platinums is my last.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:23 PM

Re: Re: Spark Plug Reccomendations 22re

Originally posted by toyota_mdt_tech

Use the factory Nippondesnso ones (W16EXRU) and set them to .035, if you want extended intervals instead of every 15K, use the platinum ones from a 1988 Toyota Van, this will be the P16R, good for 60K, NGK's is my second choice, while Botched Platinums is my last.
Welcome aboard tmt. Glad to have experts here. Since the topic is plugs, I used Botched (good one ) on my last plug change. Did'nt notice anything different...always hope for improvement. I have the 2.7. What factory plugs should I use? Are the plugs pre-gapped? What is the gap they should be? I checked the Botched which said they were, but gaps were waay off from specs in my manual. How often do I change them? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Spark Plug Reccomendations 22re

Originally posted by butnut

Welcome aboard tmt. Glad to have experts here. Since the topic is plugs, I used Botched (good one ) on my last plug change. Did'nt notice anything different...always hope for improvement. I have the 2.7. What factory plugs should I use? Are the plugs pre-gapped? What is the gap they should be? I checked the Botched which said they were, but gaps were waay off from specs in my manual. How often do I change them? Thanks.

Butnut, I've always preffered the ND's, the "U" groove is the only way, the NGK is OK too, but the groove is on the other electrode (maybe because4 of a patent?) and they do wear quicker, depending on year, yours may use the dual or single electrode, if its uses the single (later model, ie 99-02) it uses the single and you could install the dual to increase the change interval from 15K to 30K, or go platinum, extend it to 60K, go Irridium to go 90K, if you have the dual ekectrode, the platinum single will only extend you to 30K, platinum about 45K, but you could taker them 60K, irridium is new for OE Toyota starting about 2000 MY, and the price of platinums and irridiums goes way up, its about a wash as far as overall cost, but you change them less often, so if you figure in your time, its works out OK. The irridium and platinums are not to be gapped, if you must, be careful, you can easily scratch the platinum/irridium off of put a hole in it.

Gaps can vary, but rule of thumb basically that works well is "if the ND part number ends with a number 11, its .042, if not, its .032
Old 08-02-2002, 09:26 PM

Awesome. Thanks TMT. That's great info I did not know about plugs. I'm ready to go and blow the parts dudes mind! :confused: muaha ha. If you don't mind, one more question. Do I have to torque the plugs? I never did with my old Datsuns, but this is my first brand new baby, and I wanna do it right. I did'nt last plug change and I hope it's OK...
butnut
Old 08-02-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by butnut

Do I have to torque the plugs? I never did with my old Datsuns, but this is my first brand new baby, and I wanna do it right. I did'nt last plug change and I hope it's OK...
butnut
Well, absolutely every bolt in your Toyota has a torque, but not all of them are really critical, plugs are about 12 ft lbs, I've never touqed them, just make sure the seal ring gets fully crushed (Toyota has never used the taper seats) and then snug from there. You may be able to get ND's from your local part house, NGK's are pretty easy to find, but if you get brands from anywhere other than the dealer, make sure the little screw on top is tight, use pliers, if these come lose, the heat generated by the arcing will destroy a good set of plug wires, which, by the way, only come from the dealer (good wires that is)
Old 08-03-2002, 12:39 AM

Thanks...again. Yeah, that's the way I've always hand 'torqued' my plugs. I also plier that nipple thing on top of the plugs. I'll get the ND's. I use Magnacore wires. Being an old school hot rodder, the stock spaghetti looked whimpy. 8mm Accel and NGK blues were my wires of choice back then. If they ever go bad, the stock wires are in the rear storage...in a Ragoo jar. I really appreciate your expertise.
butnut
Old 08-17-2002, 08:20 PM

Re: Spark Plug Reccomendations 22re

IMHO, the best deal for you is the factory Nippondenso® plugs in W16EXRU set at .032", if you like platinums, get the ND's in P16R (uses in 1988 Toyota Vans)