Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Rocker Arm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker Arm question

Could I feasibly change the cam and rockers in my 22RE without removing the head and head gasket? Are there guide pins in the block like American motors that will prevent the head from moving? I need to change the rockers in my 22RE and I figured I would change the cam as well but I don't want to have to tear down the whole top end just to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gary

Last edited by gbpec7; 04-01-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

I guess you can but there is a good chance that the head gasket will go since you have to pull all the headbolts
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 PM

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I really just want to fix this thing to drive back and forth to work, I don't want to do major work on it just to fix one bad rocker.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

what is wrong with the rocker? what one is it?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:40 PM

# 4 exhaust, my low oil idiot light quit working and I run it low on oil on the way to work one day (I drive 42 miles one way, mostly freeway) and I didn't hear it untill it was too late. I can adjust it but after about 10 miles it's ticking again. I have another set of rockers and tubes and I would like to just replace them and the cam without having to really tear into the engine.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

since its the last one you could try to pull the last two headbolts then pull the screw pry up easy on the shaft and gently pull the rocker off. this is just a thought might not work but might be worth a try for a temp fix
Old 04-01-2005, 04:58 PM

yeah, I was hoping someone here had done this already. The rear mount has a phillips set screw for both tubes, the front only has one. I was hoping I could maybe remove the rear mount and the front one and replace just the tubes, springs and rockers.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:17 PM

you could try it, taking care not to move the head any, perhaps by securing the head to the block w/some small "c" clamps (found @ your local hardware store) applied @ points along the bottom of the head where it mates to the block where there is also a flange on the block prior to removing any of the head bolts.

this way, the head should be immobilized & so, allow you to avoid disrupting the integrity of the head gasket.

ya don't know until ya try & you'll never know if you don't.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
some people have luck with it, personally i wouldn't try it, especially if the gasket has been on there for a while. just too much risk for me, imho
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM

Never done a Toy engine before so i can't say for certain, but on the several Mopar teardowns i've done I usually (read 99.9% of the time) need to give the head at least ONE light tap with a hammer to break the head loose. (some times I need to unload on it with the teflon mallet!)

Seems like you could get away with a complete rocker/cam swap so long as you loosened EVERYTHING on the cam first and were VERY careful when it came to unbolting the rocker shafts (headbolts).
Old 04-02-2005, 04:36 AM

Well I guess I'll try it. What made me think I could was in the recent issue of Mini Truckin' (April 05) they made a cam change (and also changed to a big-bore TB) in their project truck and it didn't say anything about changing the head gasket. I read the article several times and nothing was said about it. I'll post back how it went. Thanks for your input.

Gary
Old 04-02-2005, 08:44 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Phssthpok
Never done a Toy engine before so i can't say for certain, but on the several Mopar teardowns i've done I usually (read 99.9% of the time) need to give the head at least ONE light tap with a hammer to break the head loose. (some times I need to unload on it with the teflon mallet!)

Seems like you could get away with a complete rocker/cam swap so long as you loosened EVERYTHING on the cam first and were VERY careful when it came to unbolting the rocker shafts (headbolts).

luckily for "gbpec7", he does'nt need to "...break the head loose..." in that it does'nt need to be removed to r&r the cam &/or rockers (read foriegn vs. american).

-f-
Old 04-02-2005, 09:54 PM

I did my head twice to repair the cam and rockers.Make sure truck is cold and you need to completely drain the water out of the block.Then remove everything else necessary to get the rocker assembly off.You dont need to remove the exhaust manifold and intake.My motor is running strong from my repair without changing the head gasket.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blackulua
I did my head twice to repair the cam and rockers.Make sure truck is cold and you need to completely drain the water out of the block.Then remove everything else necessary to get the rocker assembly off.You dont need to remove the exhaust manifold and intake.My motor is running strong from my repair without changing the head gasket.
Great, thanks for the input Blackulua.