Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Proper brake & clutch bleeding technique

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper brake & clutch bleeding technique

I have always known it to be when you are bleeding the brakes on most vehicles you do it in a pattern. Is it correct that you start from the furthest wheel/bleeder valve from the master cylinder? So you would actually start at the Passenger side rear, drivers side rear passenger side front then finally the drivers side front. Is that correct?

Then with bleeding out the clutch slave cylinder what is the proper way. I have always done it just like bleeding a caliper but want to be sure.

Blue
Old 02-15-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
I have always known it to be when you are bleeding the brakes on most vehicles you do it in a pattern. Is it correct that you start from the furthest wheel/bleeder valve from the master cylinder? So you would actually start at the Passenger side rear, drivers side rear passenger side front then finally the drivers side front. Is that correct?

Then with bleeding out the clutch slave cylinder what is the proper way. I have always done it just like bleeding a caliper but want to be sure.

Blue
You're correct about starting from the furthest bleeder. However, the driver's side bleeder is actually the furthest from the master cylinder. On '79-95 truck's Runners, the brake line is routed on the pass side frame and then crosses over the rear axle to the driver's side caliper making it the furthest. Bleeding the clutch is easier since you only have one bleeder to worry about.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Arnold
You're correct about starting from the furthest bleeder. However, the driver's side bleeder is actually the furthest from the master cylinder. On '79-95 truck's Runners, the brake line is routed on the pass side frame and then crosses over the rear axle to the driver's side caliper making it the furthest. Bleeding the clutch is easier since you only have one bleeder to worry about.
Oh wow, shows that I didnt look at the line routing huh. lol. So with the clutch bleeding, how many total compressions are needed or do you just go until you have a firm pedal? Blue
Old 02-16-2004, 05:01 AM

Oh wow, shows that I didnt look at the line routing huh. lol. So with the clutch bleeding, how many total compressions are needed or do you just go until you have a firm pedal? Blue
The proper way to bleed it is to keep doing it 'til there are no air bubbles coming out of the bleeder.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:58 AM

Your blue fonts are nearly illegible on the grey/black background.

There are as many ways to bleed a hydraulic system as there are people. They all work if they get the air out.

Do be aware that most people do not get all the air out. Brake fluid is a very thin fluid, and air will rise quickly in it. As such, air bubbles tend to permentently reside in high points on the lines. This is especially common where lines loop on a horizontal axis.

Fast pressure bleeding helps push those bubbles out. So does moving the lines and bleeding at various fittings.

Blue
Old 02-17-2004, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Your blue fonts are nearly illegible on the grey/black background. Oh wow I almost thought you were complaining.

There are as many ways to bleed a hydraulic system as there are people. They all work if they get the air out.
Thanks for the advise.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrapper

Do be aware that most people do not get all the air out. Brake fluid is a very thin fluid, and air will rise quickly in it. As such, air bubbles tend to permentently reside in high points on the lines.
I usually park on an incline so the master cylinder is on the high side whenever I bleed my brake/clutch system to help get rid of air bubbles.