Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

need serious help with steering box removal/install

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need serious help with steering box removal/install

i have an 82 toyota pickup, no power steering.
i ahve always had what i called air in the steering wheel since i bought it, i could turn it a little before it would catch. a couple days ago it got worse and it takes almost a full rotation to catch. i started to investigate the problem, there is a loud clanking noise coming from my steering box as i turn the wheel. found the problem. but i never have dealt with real serious steering issues with any of my vechicles before. is it okay to just pull it out or is something i should be careful for. if someone had some steps to doing this it would help since i have no manuals. same goes for putting one in since i have to go guy one from a wrecking yard im assuming.
thanks for help for a NOOB!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:34 AM

actually heres a better question how do u remove the intermediate shaft attached to your steering box that goes to the firewall. i removed the two bolts that look like they hold it there but its not budging. then i even removed the gear box front plate attached to it trying to just yank it out and it still didnt work.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:48 AM

The sector shaft, as it's called, needs to be freed from the splines. If you've already removed the bolts that lance and grip the two end shafts then you need to get them to break free. On older trucks this might require penetrating lube and/or heat. Rust forms in the gaps of these splines over time and makes removal more difficult. Be sure to keep the steering wheel help in place with a bungee cord or something. If it gets rotated enough the horn switch wires will reach their stretching limit and break. And since you claim to be a noob, don't plan on removing the pitman arm. Take the pitman arm with your junkyard unit. Removing a pitman arm can be a dangerous operation and is best left to someone with the proper tools and a bullet proof vest.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:05 AM

i have everything pulled but the pitman arm now, i had to get a 34 mm socket, big ass socket!!! anyways i think i need a puller to remove it so i will be buying one of those, if i replace the ptiman arm instead of trying to reuse mine how do i remove it from the lower part rather than the steering box
Old 06-17-2005, 12:23 PM

I recommend you just use the pitman arm that hopefully comes with the junkyard unit. You can separate the pitman arm from the relay rod with a pickle fork or an air hammer/prybar combo. Removing the pitman arm from the steering box might require one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

A standard gear puller can sometimes do the trick. But, let me warn you. If it is on there like white on rice, you're going to be scared when you start reefing on that puller. When everything goes bang and you stain your shorts, you may have removed the pitman arm or you may have broken your puller when you finally open your eyes and check. I've seen 12-ton pullers explode while trying to pull off a pitman arm. Wear a heavy jacket, gloves, and safety goggles.