Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust questions

I've got a V6 3.0 and I intend on putting a full air intake system on at some point or atleast doing the intake silencer removal mod.

After that I'd like to do something with my exhaust system. I'm wondering if a full cat-back system will really be worth it considering how gutless the 3.0 is...

How much more of a preformance gain will just a new high end muffler give in comparison to a total system?

Logic would say to me that to get anything substantial I'd need to expand the pipes all the way from the manifolds back, but I could see how a muffler that breathes better could help some.

I guess my real question is that if I don't really intend on doing much more to add to the preformance of my engine will just a new muffler be enough to compensate for the extra air I'm getting from the air intake kit?

Thanks,
-Keith

P.S. - Sorry that ended up being so long!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:44 PM

I'm thinking I'll probably go with a 2.25 inch Dynomax or Magnaflow muffler. I wish there were a dyno test of different mufflers vs exhaust systems. It'd be nice to see a side by side comparison showing effects in horsepower and torque.

My main concern is gaining torque. I want to atleast maintain the same amount of torque if not gain a few lbs/ft. And of course I'd like a nice growl too...

-Keith
Old 01-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You will get the nice growl with a 2.25" setup from the kitty kat back, but not a huge performance boost, just a little.

About the only way to get a big performance boost out of the 3.0 is to get a big Dodge or Chevy truck with a huge V8 in it, and push you down the road faster

These 3.0s are great for low end torque and slow wheelin', but not for going fast.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:21 AM

There have been numerous dyno tests of the type you wish for, though not for your specific vehicle. As a general rule of thumb, you're looking at 5-10 hp gain with a Dynomax muffler over a generic stock oem muffler. If the oem pipes are poorly formed or overly small (often time are very small), going larger on the pipes gains you a little power as well (2-5 hp typically).
Old 02-15-2004, 02:35 PM

You can do everything in the book to the exh. after the cat and not get what you want. I am pretty positive that the exh. issue lays with the exh. hedder routing. We do not have separate piping dropping down off each side of the eng. We have a pass. side crossing over to the dr. side pipe and then down. But where the two connect isnt very pretty. Its flow VS flow IMO. The pass side pipe does not Y in at an angle that would allow the flow to run free. It Y's in causing a flow distortion IMO. Anyone disagree with my thought about this? By going to hedders ofcourse you gain flow but for a price. A buddy has a 4runner he bought that already had the factory exh. maifolds altered. The cross pipe was removed and a pipe was tapped into the pass side and Y'd in down under. I have never driven his runner but it has got to be pretty sweet. Ive thought about how I could do this without removing the exh. man. on the pass. side and wondered if I purchased a used exh. man. from a scrap yard if I could have it chopped and fabbed to just switch out when I was ready to do it. IMO that is the hold back down there. Blue
Old 02-17-2004, 03:55 AM

There is a nice dyno comparison. It was done by GRMS about 2 years ago. The Dynomax muffler lost out by less then 1 peak HP to the full Borla exhaust. Cost nearly a grand less.

The stock Toyota catalytic converter is rather small. I would seriously consider purchasing one of the high flow cats from Summit. They are quite cheap.

Then, I would have the larger diameter exhaust installed, using a Dynomax muffler and that Summit cat.

Originally Posted by breakerfalls
I'm thinking I'll probably go with a 2.25 inch Dynomax or Magnaflow muffler. I wish there were a dyno test of different mufflers vs exhaust systems. It'd be nice to see a side by side comparison showing effects in horsepower and torque.

My main concern is gaining torque. I want to atleast maintain the same amount of torque if not gain a few lbs/ft. And of course I'd like a nice growl too...

-Keith