Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Brake Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brake Flush

After thoroughly reading through Gadgets recommendations on changing the brake fluid regularly, I purchased the Motive Products one man brake bleeder and gave my rig a power flush. This was the first time I attempted such a job and I must say it was real easy. It took me about 90 minutes to completely flush the system out and end up with all new fluid in the master cylinder and lines. My rig is now 3 years old and the fluid that was extracted was quite yellow. Now that I own the machine I can now flush the system when needed and it will only cost about $8. I have a few pics on my "synthetic" page.

If your rig is more than a few years old or the fluid is not clear give a thought to trying this system, I am glad I tried it!

Old 05-28-2002, 09:32 AM

J

Were their any considerations about flushing the ABS?

Pete
Old 05-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Jalaber, that is something I would like to try and do sometime.
Nice job.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by peterbilt
J

Were their any considerations about flushing the ABS?

Pete
No not really. With the ABS you cannot use DOT 5 brake fluid. But I wanted to stay with Toyota brand DOT 3 fluid anyway.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:44 AM

How much brake fluid did you end up using?
Old 06-18-2002, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tkrispin
How much brake fluid did you end up using?
I purchased 60oz. b/c I read you needed 2 quarts. I only used 3 12oz bottles. 3 bootles were plenty and I really let each bleeder valve drain well as I had the 2 extra bottles if needed.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Philly
J.A. you should add this to the tech section.

How much did the motive setup cost?

This is very cool stuff, ever on the "bleeding" edge, get it bleeding. LOL
I mentioned to Corey that I would try to get this done for the Gear Review or Tech Section. I just have been busy latley. Perhaps next week.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:47 AM

Cool

A Tech Article would be perfect. I used to have my wife help me bleed the old Datsun brakes and we would always end up yelling at each other! "I DID HOLD!" My Runner was due for a fluid change so I had the dealer do it. Can you believe they did not have a bleeder system? They did it the old way (2 man) using 3 qts...total with labor...80 bucks. They told me no one comes in for a brake fluid flush! :pat: Oh well, that Motive system looks kick ass easy. Next time, I'm doing it...myself! :chicken:
butnut
Old 06-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,
Just wanted to add my $.02. I recommend using DOT3 or DOT4 fluid. I used DOT5 once. I found out that moisture can be absorbed by 3 & 4 so I used 5 to avoid that. BUT, any moisture into a 5 system settles out. I got pitting where it settled out. The 3 & 4 distributes it throughout the system so it doesn't have as much localized effect. Annual flushing will take care of that.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:34 AM

Well I did this a few weeks ago now, but I must say, it was quite easy. I used some clear tube, a container, and about 48oz of brake fluid. I pumped the brake pedal by hand and watched the level in the reservoir. Not as quick as the power flush, but a one man operation.

Now my fluid is clear, instead of medium brown :eek:
Old 07-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

I used to have my wife help me bleed the old Datsun brakes and we would always end up yelling at each other! "I DID HOLD!"
Butnut,
I showed this to my wife. Her comment was "I guess we are all alike". I agreeded with her. :rolleyes:

I got a offer for 6 days and 5 nights at the Kaua'i Marriott in the mail yesterday. We are really tempted. Kaua'i is a really nice place.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was asking my parts guy about the presure bleeder (myte-vac also makes one) ank the pointed me to a vacuum bleeder. I have used vacuum bleeders at work that use compressed air to generate a vacuum through a venturi and those worked good in most cases.

This mytevac reservoir looks like it would hold over a gallon of waste fluids. Pumping it's handle creates a vacuum inside. You connect the tube to the bleeder valve and open valve. It sucks the fluid out of the brake cylinder, drawing from the master cylinder. In the shop, I used to suck all the old fluid out of the master first and then wipe out the gunk clinging to the sides of the reservoir. Refill with fluid, and bleed in order at each wheel. Still have to keep checking the reservoir, but it doesn't get all over the floor.

What I like about this idea is the reservoir of the mytevac only holds waste. This makes it multi useable! Suck out that power steering fluid, 90 weight gear oil, etc before opening the component. Might even work with the ATF.

David