Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed
Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt Replacement

Is the "serpentine" belt a hard item to replace? I was looking at doing this myself after finding out the price to have it done somewhere. Also one place quoted me $250 to have a brake job done. This included pads, resurfacing the rotors, and repacking the bearings. Does that price sound about right? I wish I could do that myself..LOL!
Old 07-15-2002, 08:14 PM

Is this for your 4Runner? I thought they used v-belts, not one serpentine belt for everything...?
Old 07-16-2002, 04:30 AM

yeah its for my 4Runner. I just called it a serpentine b\c I didn't know what it used either..LOL!
Old 07-16-2002, 05:56 AM

Haha.

Ok, well the 4Runners use v-belts, not serpentine belts. A serpentine belts is one belt connecting everything up (power steering, water pump, alternator, etc.).

Replacing a v-belt on your 4Runner shouldn't be very difficult at all. Each of the belts are basically held in by one gear. This particular gear has an adjustment and a pivot bolt, you undo both to free the belt and put the new one on. Adjust tension to proper spec and you're done.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:32 PM

Just how often should the belts be replaced?
butnut
Old 07-16-2002, 10:29 PM

Well, you should check them at least every year or 15,000 miles. Basically cracks across (perpendicular) the belt tread are normal, but cracks running along parallel to the tread are not. Of course look for the obvious fraying, separating & 'completely falling apart' signs too. Also feel for missing chunks of tread. Both of these are good indicators it's time to replace.

Also check the tension on the belts. Push down the belt at the center in-between the 2 pulleys. Here are the rule of thumb measurements for you:

-distance from pulley-center to pulley-center = 7" to 11"
*the belt should move no more than a 1/4" when pushed upon

-distance from pulley-center to pulley-center = 12" to 16"
*the belt should move no more than a 1/2" for a V-belt or 1/4" for a multi-ribbed belt
Old 07-16-2002, 11:25 PM

Thanks Al. So, it's a visual check...do you know if there is a mileage amount (like the timing belt on the V6's)...reason being, I'm over 85K and only one belt was changed when my Runner was less than a year old (squeeking). They 'look' OK. Should I change them based on my mileage?
butnut
Old 07-17-2002, 07:10 AM

Mechanics that I've spoken to would recommend changing them out every 3 to 4 years to be on the safe side.

If it was properly installed, properly maintained and the vehicle is driven in nice, clean road conditions and without extreme hot/cold temperatures you'd probably get 80,000 miles, maybe even more, out of it.

Most of us don't live or drive in such ideal conditions so check them at least once a year and change them at least every 3 years is my recommendation.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:46 PM

I should correct myself here. I did some reading and noticed in one manual it says to remove the serpentine drivebelt as part of the procedure to replace the power steering pump.

So I guess a 4Runner does have serpentine belt after all.. :eek:
Old 07-24-2002, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A serpentine belt is one belt that drives all your accy's at once. It winds around the mass of pulley's like a "serpent" Hence the name. The only vehicle I own with a belt like that is the wife's Heep Cherokee, and I replace it every 50k miles or so. It is more important in that it drives EVERYTHING on the engine, so if it breaks you loose engine cooling, power steering, alternator, and most important the Air Conditioning.

NOTE: Install your new belt and save the old one for trail rides/road trips just in case!

David
Old 07-24-2002, 09:13 AM

Maybe the word "serpentine" is used a little loosely, but my 87 GP has 1 serpentine belt and about 3 v-belts. Whats called a serpentine belt in my manual refers to 1 belt that runs the altenator and fan. It has the ribs running the whole length on the inside of the belt just like the single drive belt cars. I was also told by mechanics and auto parts stores that it is a serpentine belt and has much more gripping power with the multiple V grooves than a simple V-belt with only 2 gripping sides.

Almost forgot, With the one drivebelt setup, I was told if memory serves, in order to check one of these belts, look at the underside of it (where the ribs are)and if there more than 3 cracks across the ribs within a 3" section, its time to replace. Not sure if that is really a valid check or not but I was told that once and it sounded good.

Last edited by williemon; 07-24-2002 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:43 AM

Agreed. Cracks and chunks of belt missing in a small space would definitely constitute a belt replacement.

The serpentine belt, as mentioned in this thread, is supposed to be a belt that runs all the accessories, yes. Which is why I found it odd that the 4Runner has one because it doesn't run all the accessories, but only some of them. :confused:
Old 03-16-2005, 05:19 PM

i know i am digging up an old post, but i just replaced the 3 belts this morning. it took me 2 hours, i had never worked on 4runner before so thats why it took a while.

it was sweet having the brushguard so i could kneel on it to get a better angle on the bolts. i bought dayco gator grooved belts. noww i know what to do next time
Old 03-17-2005, 02:01 AM

I have 2 belts on my 4runner. A serpentine belt and a v-belt. The serpentine runs my alt. & v-belt runs the power steering pump.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:57 AM

I just posted this exact question over on the 4Runner forum.org (with no help so far). I've only owned 'serpentine belt' cars (that have belt tensioners making the swap a piece of cake), So can someone give me some pointers/tips to get me rolling on this? Do I physically have to unbolt the individual pulleys? When you say 2 hours for the swap I'm a bit concerned (considering I can change the belt on my 2000 Camaro SS and my 2000 Lightning in about 20 seconds). I'm mechanically inclined, so if you can just give me a push in the right direction, I'd REALLY appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:40 AM

On my engine you losen 1 bolt on the alt.(lower bolt)and the alt. will move down so you can get the serpintine belt off the pulleys. And on the power steering pump theres 1 bolt you loosen(lower bolt)and the pump will move down so you can get the v-belt off.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows
I just posted this exact question over on the 4Runner forum.org (with no help so far). I've only owned 'serpentine belt' cars (that have belt tensioners making the swap a piece of cake), So can someone give me some pointers/tips to get me rolling on this? Do I physically have to unbolt the individual pulleys? When you say 2 hours for the swap I'm a bit concerned (considering I can change the belt on my 2000 Camaro SS and my 2000 Lightning in about 20 seconds). I'm mechanically inclined, so if you can just give me a push in the right direction, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

What Year rig do you have? The 3.4 has idler pulleys on a threaded bolt. loosen bolt, belt gets slack
Old 03-20-2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mossback74
What Year rig do you have? The 3.4 has idler pulleys on a threaded bolt. loosen bolt, belt gets slack
I have a 2000 (sorry should've stated that). Thanks for the info....that's exactly what I needed to know. Guess I'll head down to Autozone and pick up some new belts.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

on that note, most here suggest toyota belts, they fit right and last longer.

Also, you may have to loosen the bolt that goes through the idler to get it to move on its little track. PB Blaster and air tools recomended for stuck bolts