Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

What leaf springs for my 91' SAS 4runner? (wheeling/camping/road use)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What leaf springs for my 91' SAS 4runner? (wheeling/camping/road use)

As title states I am trying to decide what leafs to use when doing the SAS in my 91' 4runner w/ 3.4 swap.
Its my first time building a solid axle rig, so if I ask anything dumb please chalk it up as I am new to this crap lol.

I have the Sky's SAS kit with ultra clearance front hangar and high steer, I have been told need approx 4" of lift or so for high steer to clear.
I do plan on wheeling this thing, but am also looking for it to have "decent" road manners as I do intend to use it to go camping and get my ass to the ski hills in the winter.
Just wondering what front leafs people with experience would recommend as kind of an "all around" should I just go with Trail Gear 3"? What about the HD? Or do I just build it as a wheeler and try to drive it on the street lol.
Seen lots of folks says RUF flex well but I am concerned about road manners as well as have read some folks say they bend pretty easy.

Also, are Chevy 63's in the rear going to be okay for me? When I go camping there can be quite a bit of gear in the back (coolers + occasionally a 3500w generator, canopy etc) so am concerned about being really squatted when cargo is loaded if the Chevy 63's are too soft. Is there any other recommendations for the rear?
Or should I just be prepared to add-a-leaf to the 63's or something? If 63's are the go to, what length of shackles do you recommend?

Am I better off just building it to wheel/flex and going from there? If I do that and decide to change front springs, that could potentially mean that I need to relocate the front leaf shackles then correct?

Any / all information and advice is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Warfo; 12-12-2023 at 04:36 PM. Reason: change post color so can read text
Old 12-12-2023, 04:36 PM

Figured out why couldn't see the text, my dumbass had the post text in black lol.

Last edited by Warfo; 12-12-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:53 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
When I first did my SAS I used the TG kit with the 3" springs (4" of lift) and at first they were friggin tall. Took a while to settle. I ran those springs hard for over 10 years. I finally cracked one in Moab. Didn't know it until I got home. My son elected to use the 4" springs on his 91. Same build as my 88. The 4" springs were a better ride and flexed better so I bought a set for my 88 to replace the broken set. I also liked them better.

I did a 3.4 swap and the springs were fine. I even had a heavy bumper with a Warn 8274. I did the 63" Chevy springs in the rear. I made multiple packs until I got it the way I wanted. Super flexy but no way it would carry weight. I only used 3 springs in the pack though. I also got axle wrap with all the flex so I built an anti-wrap bar and it made a huge difference. So if you go 63" Chevy, you may need the extra leaves. I made my own 6" shackles. I installed a double Carden rear drive shaft and rotated my pinion up to get rid of vibration. Also note that my son and I had pickups and 35" tires.

The Chevy springs won't lift enough with a stock pack. Might get 2" of lift? I re-arched mine for more lift. Davez Off Road used to sell them ready to go but he's no longer in business.

My son found a used set of 4" All Pro rear springs (Before TG bought them) and they worked great for him and matched his front lift in his 91.

I don't think you would need the HD spring option up front but maybe in the rear if you want to carry weight. I would talk to the tech line for whoever you buy your springs from to be sure. Keep in mind that if you set up for weight, it's gonna be a stiff ride empty and flexy is going to bottom out when loaded.

If you have a lot of money, you can have a set of Deaver springs custom made.

Good luck with your build.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:18 AM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
Posted on your irate4x4 thread too.I think budget comes in a lot here. But really it doesn't matter. It will all work, and its all changeable.

You could also do something like the old man emu springs as RUFS. CS009r are rear springs that work great in the front. Regular RUFS bend because they are 30+ year old leafs, they are just tired. Which is also why they flex so well.

The chevys are a 1/2 ton spring (or more). Yours currently are 1/4 ton springs, so they will be able to handle the weight, if not just add an extra leaf. They come in lots of different configurations stock. a 3/4 ton truck will have many leafs and you can mix and match to get what you want.

The reason for needing lift with the high steer is so the drivers leaf does not hit the pitman arm when flexing up. You can get away with lower springs with a flat arm and/or some minor frame notching.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 12-13-2023 at 03:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
caspers710 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 01:51 AM

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Spoiler

Last edited by AuroreWalsh; 12-22-2023 at 02:03 AM.