Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

SAS 2x4 89 -95 & mercedes 617 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS 2x4 89 -95 & mercedes 617 swap

I would like to get a 89 - 95 2x4 truck and SAS the front and swap a mercedes OM617 engine. I already have a complete conversion kit for the engine swap and although I do have a 1994 4x4 truck, it has a really strong 22RE and I would rather get another truck with bad engine and better paint to do the swap. I see several other people ask about doing a 2x4 to 4x4 conversion and everyone with any experience with such swap say start with a 4x4 to start with. I am not trying to be to hard headed hear... well maybe a little but you will have to raise the back of either truck to match the front after the SAS swap and it looks like the cost and labor of installing transfer case would be less than the difference of the cost of the 2x4 truck instead of a 4x4. I don't see spending the extra for getting 4x4 truck and then cut the front suspension off although you would have the transfer case. I know there is a lot more to it than that like the rims, cutting the floor for the transfer case shifter etc but what would be best to start with ?
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scruffy390
I would like to get a 89 - 95 2x4 truck and SAS the front and swap a mercedes OM617 engine. I already have a complete conversion kit for the engine swap and although I do have a 1994 4x4 truck, it has a really strong 22RE and I would rather get another truck with bad engine and better paint to do the swap. I see several other people ask about doing a 2x4 to 4x4 conversion and everyone with any experience with such swap say start with a 4x4 to start with. I am not trying to be to hard headed hear... well maybe a little but you will have to raise the back of either truck to match the front after the SAS swap and it looks like the cost and labor of installing transfer case would be less than the difference of the cost of the 2x4 truck instead of a 4x4. I don't see spending the extra for getting 4x4 truck and then cut the front suspension off although you would have the transfer case. I know there is a lot more to it than that like the rims, cutting the floor for the transfer case shifter etc but what would be best to start with ?
4x4 would be best, alot easier too. The 2wd was never intended to go off road and wasnt built as such, its weak. You'll have to do alot of gusseting on the frame, modify it for cross members to mount tranny/ T case, and figure out how to mount the steering box just among other things. Most people just put the 2wd body on a 4wd frame. Not that it cant or hasnt been done, its just a lot more work.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 AM

Thanks, that's a lot easier not to have learned this myself lol
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 AM

I respectfully disagree. I've run into quite a few people over the years that have started with a 2wd truck. The benefit is that the way the front frame rails are makes it easier to keep the SAS low. I agree with the OP, if you are going to swap out everything anyways why waste the money?

I'm actually thinking about doing a similar build for my son's first truck. I would love to see this build happen, so if you decide to do it please make a build thread!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM

With the mercedes swap it is best to use the W series trans used in the 4 cylinders, The R series trans used behind the 3.0 sits too far forward and if that is what you use you need to slide the trans / transfer case back and shorten rear drive shaft and lengthen front because the 5 cylinder OM617 is so long. I feel I am more likely to find a truck with a bad 3.0 engine to use for the swap than a 22R / RE because they are so tuff and the 3.0 is bad on head gaskets so if ya moved the R series trans / transfer case it would not be much more difficult to start from scratch and be installing that in a 2x4 truck. I think I am more likely to find a nicer body / interior in a 2x4 because they was not used as much to to beat to death on the trail off road as the 4x4. I am interested in how much difference the frames are strength wise now
Old 01-03-2017, 02:05 PM

This is a good build thread to read. He kept the 22re, but at least you can see how it looks.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...4x4-conversion