Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Is there muddin in the San Diego Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there muddin in the San Diego Area?

Like it says in the title, I'm new here and need as much info as you can give.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

The one place I know of is Proctor Valley after it rains...we live in SD, this is the Desert

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 PM

Better than nothing, how would I get there? I live near the I-805 / I-8 junction.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:02 AM

Why the hell would you go looking for mud??? kidding kinda...
well there is ussually some mud by the airport at ocotillo wells and there is canyon sin nombre in anza(i think thats the one, its early and i'm hungover),
proctor valley has mud, nice mud at that, after rains. Corral canyon has that one muddy creek crossing, the "dry" lake bed at superstitoin isnt so dry sometimes

basically it comes down to the fact that there is alot of places to wheel here and there might or might not be mud there...

Mike
Old 04-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Not really. Azuza Canyon up in L.A. has some mudding during the rainy season.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:53 PM

This might be a newbee question 'cause I'm from a small town in Arizona where off roading is a mile from everywhere.
So my question is how do you find the good spots in a Metro area like San Diego? Is there maps? websites?(other than this) let me know what your resources are. I live near mission valley so all the land here is concrete and asphalt.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:41 PM

Like AZ we are a desert and have little mud to offer.

However, we have some decent off road areas within an hours drive into East County.

The best place to wheel near you is Corral Canyon OHV, which is around 45 minutes drive from you:

"The Corral Canyon Off Road Vehicle OPEN Area is located within the southern-most third of Cleveland National Forest near Morena Reservoir. Visitors should take I-8 to Buckman Springs Road,(watch for the SDORC adopt-a-highway sign!), drive south 3.6 miles, turn right onto Corral Canyon Road and drive 6.2 miles to the Four Corners Trailhead. At the trailhead there is staging for over 12 miles of trails for all types of ORVs. Travel off established trails is permitted within the designated area; however, once outside of this region all vehicles must remain on established roads and trails. This area offers challenges from everyone from expert to beginner with over 1,800 acres to explore. ORVs are prohibited on Corral Canyon Road between Buckman Springs and Four Corners.

Corral Canyon has two campgrounds with picnic fire rings and vault toilets. Interior trails are very technical, and are frequently more difficult than their rating. The entire area is surrounded by miles of easy fire roads for the beginner. Elevation is about 4,000 ft and the area does receive snow at times during winter, as well as reach temperatures in the upper 90s at times during summer. Note that Corral is located in Cleveland National Forest, so legally you need an Adventure Pass and a Green Sticker or license plate. The majority of users are dirt bikes, but many people enjoy the rock-crawling challenges Corral Canyon presents to the 4x4 crowd. This area is also becoming increasingly popular with Mountain Bikers as well.

Contact: Cleveland National Forest, Descanso Ranger District (619) 445-6235"

I would suggest the book "Backcountry Adventures: Southern California" if you are planning on an extended stay in Socal:

http://www.4x4books.com/cas4wd.htm

Check this trip planning forum also. There is a cool group who goes wheeling from the San Diego area.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks Calamaridog for that link and good info, I did notice a group of guys from San Diego and I was going to try to go out with them this weekend but my harmonic balancer broke and the new one didn't delivered in time. I will try to go out with the group some other time but I also have a friend who has a Chevy and another with a nissan and we want to go out and not break up the toyota theme when the group goes out.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Just for another resource, you should download Google Earth (it's free) http://earth.google.com/

I have found a couple wheeling places in CO from using it. Even if you don't find anything, you'll get a good idea of whats around you.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 PM

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/socaltrails/

That link has some good descriptions of some trails in SoCal, the Anza Borrego trails are the closest group out of those trails. But since it's getting pretty hot in the desert, the next set of trails that we would probably do are the ones in Big Bear.

Like they said, keep an eye out on the trip planning forum for us. Don't worry about the "toyota theme" we're not like Jeep snobs. We always have some other makes with us.