Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Off-road alone

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last time I went alone I was the driver and had my buddy and his girlfriend in the Scout with me (this was before i Baught my truck!) Any way there was only one car there! we went to E. TX to his property to P/U X-mas dacor frome one of his trailers. When we got there it was raining! Alott... And had been so for the last week or so! (we learned this later!)

The Scout had just been finished We built and installed a sweet new IHC 345 V8 and had yet to see any real action! I figured that we would have some fun, load up and then hit the road...

Well when we stoped to load the Scout I shut it down and could feel it slowly sinking!!! Well Ive been in worse mud than that many times and have never needed help! Well fully loaded locked in FWD I tried to get us out. We were doing great fore about 4' then BNAG... Klink klink klink... It was reving freely! That new motor ( ) had simply twisted my rear drive shaft off and tied knots in it! It was cold and rany and the Cell-phones wouldent work and there was a lot of walking for all 3 of us! Thank god for AAA and free towing! They brought aout the BIG tow truck! The ones for hauling semi's arround! Then they had to call out another to get him out of the mud! What a night!

That sed I have no problem gowing out on my own! Im just ready to walk... And I dont put myself in positions where I may become injured.

I fly small planes for a living so I guess that Im use to the possibillity of literally being droped hundreds of miles from anywhere! In a minute and a half or less you must find a place to land, secure your ship and passingers and then time permiting concider where the nearest phone or car or person is! Theres a lot to be sed for knowing whats on the otherside of that ridge!

Anywho... Just be carefull and make yourself happy!

_travis
Old 02-25-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too think that "exploring" by yourself is ok as long as you can check your ego well enough. I enjoy exploring Class IV and fire roads but 80% of it is stuff a well driven Subaru could handle. I always make sure someone knows where I am, and I am prepared to walk out if I need too. None of it is terribly far from civilization.

Some basic self recovery equipment and survival supplies can bring you peace of mind as well.

I would never attempt anything particularly "challenging" on my own where there was a significant risk of bodily or mechanical damage. There is plenty of entertaining "greenlaning" (as the Brits say) that can be done in pleasant solitude.