Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

[Nor-Cal] HIGHLAKES run.. memorial day weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh i forgot to mention, not only was the smallest size a 35, but we were all locked front and rear as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i dont wanna reschedule a trip that ive been waiting for for so long...

if anyone still wants to go, id be down to go to paynes creek or anywhere else up there...

plus, we cant reschedule because there are a lot of people that are either taking time off work, postponing vacations, or even ditching weddings they are supposed to attend...

i say we still go but to somewhere else...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM

well i know there were alot of people looking forward to this trip and having enough days off to make a decent run. i think the trip up to paynes creek will be fun for everyone including us stocks guys. we would hit the ponderossa way, pelegreen jeep trail, and some other trails. who is with me. sure beats stayin home because of snow.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude I Know I am not able to make this trip but there are alot of places you all can go besides highlakes.
Just A little detour thats it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 PM

ill follow you, OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN... lol...

Stock truck wheeling FTW!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
my crew and I are still coming up. The snow looks to the point that its breaking down now and wont support any weight or lateral forces. I dont care if we change locations to some other place, its all about getting out and getting experience. like i said when i posted that i was committed to come, i would have to be really sick to miss this. I have even been extra couscous not to get bit by a Black Widow at work.

I'M GOING TO BE THERE.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 05-19-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by John101477
how does eagle lake tie in with the fordyce trail? i thought i had traveled every road out of eagle lake.....
we used to take dad's dune buggy out there and travel all around. it was mucho fun. in some areas if your lucky you can even see antelope although it can be rare. i put in for the antelope hunt every year with no success yet.
I can't really explain it very well, but you go up past (or over ) driveshaft hill and up a ways untill you get to an old wooden sign that splits the route to go up to Eagle lakes or to the right up a pretty rocky section which is Fordyce...and about 3 miles in or so is the first creek crossing

It would definitely not be for stock rigs. At least 33's, at least one locker, and good body armor would be required. We'd definitely want someone in the group with a winch as well just in case. I dragged my stock 89 with 31's and very good armor through with the help of a winch a couple times (I think 3 different spots) but all those spots would have been passable if my truck was built the way it is now. I wouldn't do it again without the requirements listed above. I believe that is what Sierra Trek requires to run all of Fordyce as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM

where does that trail cross over 36? wouldn't be passable right now but maybe this summer. i am some what confused because fordyce and eagle lake are a long long way from eachother the closest trail i know is cleghorn ohv to eagle lake but fordyce does not flow into that as far as i know. a map of the area might be nice
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 PM

ok so i will load a map tomorrow of location to meet in red bluff. it is really the last place to fill up and top off gas. mike you gonna come? not the extreme wheelin u like but i can show ya some ruts to topple over in. and it is lava rock country so you can find lots to crawl over.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM

here is the link to a map/ directions
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?wi...J0b3A9MCU3ZTA=
Old 05-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
so you guys gonna plan for a less crappy snow-laden trail?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM

yup...

Meetup is at the gas station located at Five Star Gas; 14816 Antelope Blvd Red Bluff, CA 96080

Last edited by space-junk; 05-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM

NEW INFORMATION... UPDATED!! Read the top and decide if you still wanna go...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 PM

where does that trail cross over 36? wouldn't be passable right now but maybe this summer. i am some what confused because fordyce and eagle lake are a long long way from eachother the closest trail i know is cleghorn ohv to eagle lake but fordyce does not flow into that as far as i know. a map of the area might be nice
Idk? you sound like you know the area better than I do. But I know I was on Fordyce lol and I got there by following the Eagle Lakes trail for a ways.

Just somethin I found real quick on google...

"Eagle Lakes OHV Trail

DESCRIPTION:

Although the initial part of this OHV road is part of the Eagle Lake/Meadow Lake designated OHV Trail to Fordyce Lake and on to Meadow Lake, the two miles to Eagle Lake make a pleasant stroll or mountain bike trek. The Grouse Ridge Trail begins at Eagle Lakes, which lie south of the Grouse Non-Motorized Area. Even the largest Eagle Lake is shallow, but offers lush riparian habitat for waterfowl, birds, wetlands-dependent mammals, and a wonderful collection of wildflowers. Some trout and small-mouth bass make it worth carrying a pole. Floatables are a must due to swampy shorelines."

http://www.sierraoutdoorrecreation.c..._OHV_Trail.cfm
Old 05-21-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Idk? you sound like you know the area better than I do. But I know I was on Fordyce lol and I got there by following the Eagle Lakes trail for a ways.

Just somethin I found real quick on google...

"Eagle Lakes OHV Trail

DESCRIPTION:

Although the initial part of this OHV road is part of the Eagle Lake/Meadow Lake designated OHV Trail to Fordyce Lake and on to Meadow Lake, the two miles to Eagle Lake make a pleasant stroll or mountain bike trek. The Grouse Ridge Trail begins at Eagle Lakes, which lie south of the Grouse Non-Motorized Area. Even the largest Eagle Lake is shallow, but offers lush riparian habitat for waterfowl, birds, wetlands-dependent mammals, and a wonderful collection of wildflowers. Some trout and small-mouth bass make it worth carrying a pole. Floatables are a must due to swampy shorelines."

http://www.sierraoutdoorrecreation.c..._OHV_Trail.cfm
i see where you are talking about here. the problem we have is that we are talking about 2 dif places eagle lakes rd. takes off just past the yuba pass on I80. from the look of it it is an extreme trail. though i have not been there it says absolutely no stock rigs can make it?!?!?
The actual eagle lake is up near susanville. in the high desert.
eagle lakes is just a series of small lakes/ large ponds that are grouped together. it would be fun if you had the right rig setup. it will be a cpl of grand before i feel i have the adaquate gear for such a trail.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:04 PM

remember to be prepared for rain overnight so bring a weather proof tent and stuff
Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by [AFG]Sp1ck
remember to be prepared for rain overnight so bring a weather proof tent and stuff
Judges check..... did he say.... waterproof??? probably will not be raining but remember mountain dew is not just a soda.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 PM

i see where you are talking about here. the problem we have is that we are talking about 2 dif places eagle lakes rd. takes off just past the yuba pass on I80. from the look of it it is an extreme trail. though i have not been there it says absolutely no stock rigs can make it?!?!?
The actual eagle lake is up near susanville. in the high desert.
eagle lakes is just a series of small lakes/ large ponds that are grouped together. it would be fun if you had the right rig setup. it will be a cpl of grand before i feel i have the adaquate gear for such a trail.
Ohhhh gotcha I know where Eagle Lake is...I wheel up around the Sierra Buttes which is semi close lol

The Eagle Lakes OHV trail can be done in a stock vehicle and is lots of fun! A stock truck with 31's can even make it up the infamous "Driveshaft Hill" (not the main section, but off to the right with some rock stacking)

Driveshaft Hill

Basically a pretty good size rock ledge...

Other than this obstacle though it would be fun for stock guys and newbs to get some experience then whoever doesn't wanna run Fordyce can camp up at one of the Lakes while the others go on and then meet back up later that day for some camping as well then go back down the next morning for a two day trip, or it can all be done in a day. However just the Eagle Lakes trail is only about an hour and a half if that.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yay for me! after 3 days, i've finally got my 4.88 diffs swapped in along with a lockright in the rear, bj spacers and an alignment. it was a pain in the ass doing it all solo in the driveway, but well worth it. definitely drives "different" - i like it! hopefully this combo will help me keep up with some of your more "seasoned" rigs.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
yay for me! after 3 days, i've finally got my 4.88 diffs swapped in along with a lockright in the rear, bj spacers and an alignment. it was a pain in the ass doing it all solo in the driveway, but well worth it. definitely drives "different" - i like it! hopefully this combo will help me keep up with some of your more "seasoned" rigs.
i am sure you would have had no problems before. but this just means you can try more and be that much more confident. there is a spur up thier i hope to find if it is not to hard. it is deep rutted and very very narrow. we'll see if i can find it again

Quick Reply: [Nor-Cal] HIGHLAKES run.. memorial day weekend.