Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Indiana, MO/KY/IL Toyotas --> Attica Badlands --> 05/16/03

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Honger
Andrew:
I can't see the picture you posted... what's wrong with going this weekend? Are you still coming?

I am still planning on going. There are five of us right now aren't there?

I'm pretty sure I'll come, but I think the Grand is going to get parked a lot. I abused it a little too much last week. I'm not sure why that picture won't show- Montypics must be down. I rather "submerged" it in the sand dunes. I forgot that my street tires have zero traction off road... 4 wheel drive was working great but I was spinning my tires.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Ever since joining I've been trying to figure out why you'd get rid of your Toyota for a Heep.

I have mud/snow tires which are actually supposed to be worse in the sand... so we'll see what becomes of me and my T. Hopefully no sand in the AC ducts!

So is the plan to meet at 9 at the McDonalds? Having never been there before, is this McD's pretty obvious?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Honger

So is the plan to meet at 9 at the McDonalds? Having never been there before, is this McD's pretty obvious?
Yes, very obvious. Attica is basicaly one big street haha. If you get lost, you can ask any gas station where the badlands are and they will almost definitely know where.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:55 AM

it's 10 to drive, 5 $ per passenger!

I reccomend bringing a sack lunch

McDonald's at 201 W.JACKSON STREET, ATTICA, IN 47918
do a mapquest search on it, and you can get there pretty easily
Old 05-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

A friend got me a free day-pass, so I'm set there. My girl will cost me 5$, but that makes this a cheap date! She offered to take pictures for us (with my digital cam and I figure she'd probably be willing to take shots for other people if they ask nicely).

I have a large cooler I can bring along. If ya'll are willing to pitch in a few bucks (I'm thinking 3 or 4 dollars) each I can bring everything we'll need. I can get some lunch meat, bread, chips, cola, etc. We'd be set to stop somewhere as a group and make our own lunch. Any takers? I need you to let me know for sure that you are interested though so I can shop accordingly. If there is enough interest I may bail on this idea though. I'm really looking forward to the fun! We should do a before and after shot of all the Yota's (and the Jeep) in the group.

Cheers!
Joel
Old 05-20-2003, 12:49 PM

I AM SOOOO PUMPED!!!

but the lift is STILL not in!

I think I will just bring some food that I have here, thanks anyways Joel! Attica is only about 30 minutes from West Lafayette, so I will not be too far from home this time(I moved to West Lafayette)

Joel- my friend is in Triangle, and is a Senior. His name is Matt

ready to wheel!
Old 05-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Matt who? (there are lots of Matts at Rose)
I knew quite a few Triangle guys as well.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:52 PM

dude Mike check ur pm's, or at least call me back hoe. I need to talk to you about some stufff.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

hey mike-
I might need to borrow your radio again ... I have mine but I'm still waiting on the fire stick antenna and coax cable ... mike (xtremeoffroad) promised it would be here by friday, I will try my best to get it in friday night.

I think I have someone to take my call for me ... I will know for sure by tomorrow.

If anyone knows where I can get tires cheap .. let me know .... I'm willing to drive to indiana too ... since chicago is expensive as ˟˟˟˟. I don't wanna drive through the creek again :pat:
Old 05-20-2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by sdastg1
I don't wanna drive through the creek again :pat:
Old 05-20-2003, 05:16 PM

The Cb is allready in my rig, I allways just leave it there.
Check Tires at Sears, they have pretty good deals, and sales, and will match any price i'll check around for you though

Rob, I sent you a PM, but your mailbox is full
Old 05-20-2003, 05:24 PM

scattered thundershowers on Sat! everything is gonna be MUDDY AND WET
Old 05-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

can we get a head count of who is going?

1.Insr54runner
2.Honger
3. Andrew
4. Poboy
5. Me (will have definite answer by tomorrow)

anyone else? How about from 4x4wire?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by INsr5runner
scattered thundershowers on Sat! everything is gonna be MUDDY AND WET
Where did you read that? http://www.weather.com/weather/local...red&whatprefs=

Honger: why did I buy a Jeep? Because as much as I liked the 4Runner's looks, quality, 4x4 ability, and overengineering, I hated driving it. I found the seats very uncomfortable, I thought it was too easily blown by crosswinds on the highway, and I thought it was too skinny. The Jeep seemed to fit everything I was looking for. Its seats are much bigger and more chair-like, it's decent on the highway, and it's still capable off road. It's just not the pillar of reliability that the Toyota was. I have a bit over 10k on the Jeep right now and I already have a higher stack of dealership receipts than I had in 40k with my 4Runner. I was very impressed with its off road capabilities on Saturday, though. Other than the sand incident (which I chalk up to crappy tires and my inexperience in sand dunes), the Jeep did very well. The solid front axle articulates like you wouldn't believe when it's disconnected. I wish I had gotten a Jeep with QuadraDrive, though, because I miss my 4Runner's rear locker.

I'm definitely in for Saturday. I just need to get a rubber mallet to help me take off my sway bar disconnects. Is anybody driving up from down South? It's about 2 hours for me.

andrew
Old 05-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Since I need the money for the bumper ... I might be driving through more creeks ... it's the worst sound when you hear your exhaust draining ... blob, blob, blob, blob

but I'll go check sears tonight
Old 05-21-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Regarding a CB radio... who all will have one? For now it is up in the air for me. I left my base unit in my old car that I gave to my folks... in Kansas. They mailed it out at the beginning of the week and I'm hoping it gets here before Saturday.

I am looking forward to Saturday so much! For one thing, I've never taken this truck truly off-road. My previous T100 I took out in the mud a few times but I'd always wanted to do something more serious. I finally get the chance! Secondly, I'm looking forward to putting a face to all of you guys.

Andrew:
Solid front axle is a very nice thing to have indeed! I can understand your lack of appreciation for the seats in your 4Runner. The T100 I own now has buckets and they aren't all that great. My previous T100 had benches and I liked them lots better (though the lumbar support on my drivers bucket is nice to have). I meant my comment as a friendly jibe and not a criticism. While I am a die-hard Toyota driver I understand other people have luck with other vehicles. Heck! My roommate has a Jeep and we had fun in that.

Still, I bought myself a sticker for my truck that reads "Jeep Recovery Vehicle."

Joel
Old 05-21-2003, 09:14 AM

Right now, everyone that is going will have one.I have an in-cab one, and two uniden hand helds, that work really really well. If you want to use one of those(assuming my Cb doesn't break down for some strange reason) Then just bring 6 AA batteries with you (because it takes 6 aa's) I just don't have any new AA batteries!

Shavad, you probably need to bring a fresh 6 too, since the last ones probably won't last through the whole day
Old 05-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

I just got my MT/R 285s for $600 plus install. Hopefully no creek water for me ... ha ha ..... they better be here by friday ... otherwise I'm going to be pissed.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:07 AM

Hey Shavad, where did you get your lift installed? I need mine on!!! I don't know any good places here. I might even drive up to Chi town to get it in, if you know a good place, and cheap.

~Mike
Old 05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

I'm trying to get my diff. breathers in before Saturday. Will we be going through water deep enough for me to worry about this at all?

Quick Reply: Indiana, MO/KY/IL Toyotas --> Attica Badlands --> 05/16/03