Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Death Valley '07 Planning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I manged to find a good deal on a Garmin 60CSX today so I will be GPS enabled by DV. If anybody has already gotten the routes mapped out, I would appreciate it if you could email it to me at xc_biker85 (at) hotmail.com

If no one has put that together, I'll try to cook something up and email it to anyone who wants it.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Photog
Since Scotty's has no gas, will we need extra gas for that section of the tour.
I think you will be fine, especially if you plan on carrying the recommended 5 gallons of extra gas. I am going to try to carry 10gal, so I am sure we will be fine. What size is the tank on the newer 4runners?

Tanto, I would be interested in the route when you get it. YOu can email me at stovertileanddesign (at) charter.net

Last edited by slosurfer; 02-14-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 AM

Newer 4Runners have 20 gallon tanks, and fuel economy is similar to previous 4Runners.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Newer 4Runners have 20 gallon tanks, and fuel economy is similar to previous 4Runners.
You'll be fine, I have 18 gals and crappy automatic tranny mileage
Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tanto
Well, I manged to find a good deal on a Garmin 60CSX today so I will be GPS enabled by DV. If anybody has already gotten the routes mapped out, I would appreciate it if you could email it to me at xc_biker85 (at) hotmail.com

If no one has put that together, I'll try to cook something up and email it to anyone who wants it.
As of five minutes ago, I will also be GPS'd for Death Valley. Ordered a PDA with iGuidance road software and Backcountry Navigator software that will allow me to download free statewide 1:250K, 1:100K and 1:24K topos. (Thank you tax return.)
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

I too have been fartin around w/ the GPS! I'm going to try and pimp the laptop route with the topo software but am a bit lost as to how to use it so hopefully I'll have some viable data soon

Ken, what software are you going to use for the backcountry? I'm trying to use ozi explorer right now. I have topo fusion installed with the maps but am a bit unsure as the coordinates don't seem to be as accurate. anyway I'm all ears

Lastly, camping for Monday in White Top Mountain. I'm not sure where we'll camp but I'm hoping somewhere along those lines. It's definitely high elevation so it will be cold. Just unsure as to where we can officially camp but I suspect we'll find something out there. I will be making a courtesy call to find out what areas are blocked off and what not though. If any of ya guys can follow up that'll be cool too as I could use the help.

thanks!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Good Times
I too have been fartin around w/ the GPS! I'm going to try and pimp the laptop route with the topo software but am a bit lost as to how to use it so hopefully I'll have some viable data soon

Ken, what software are you going to use for the backcountry? I'm trying to use ozi explorer right now. I have topo fusion installed with the maps but am a bit unsure as the coordinates don't seem to be as accurate. anyway I'm all ears
Lance, I am going to try Backcountry Navigator. They have a 30-day trial period. If that doesn't work, Memory Map and Ozi Explorer CE are the other available options. Most every state in the US has 1:250K, 1:100K, and 1:24K "USGS" topo maps available for free, so you want to use software that allows you to take advantage of this. Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc. all use proprietary software and you must pay for maps, which is why I went with a pocket PC. You definately have the capability to use free quads with Ozi Explorer. Go here for California quads:
http://casil.ucdavis.edu/mapsurfer/

Zoom in on Death Valley and select the entire area with the "big red I" and maps for all three zoom ratios I mentioned above will be available. For such a large area, I will probably rely on 1:250K and 1:100K quads. There are too many 1:24K since DV is so large and that level of detail seems a little unnecessary and will definately fill your harddrive in a hurry.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Lance, in my research on White Top Mountain, I came across this:

http://www.davestravelcorner.com/articles/bishop/2.htm

quote from the website:
There are several campgrounds located along the road that leads into the Bristle Cone Forest (see the Inyo National Forest Campground Guide for more information about the specific campgrounds). I highly recommend staying at one of these for several nights in order to acclimatize before hiking to the top of White mountain. Dave's Pick is the The Grandview Campground which is located about 5 miles from the main Bristle Cone Visitor Center at about 8600 feet. This is a large campground (no water or garbage facilities) spread out over several acres among the Pinon Pine trees. First come first serve - several dollar donation requested. Campsites are fairly well spread out among the trees so you have some privacy. Sometimes astral photography occurs at this campground at night so you are requested to keeps lights to a minimum. Bathrooms are located on site.

You can also camp out at the locked gate at the end of the White Mountain Road which is about 11,500 feet in elevation. You cannot camp outside of the campgrounds in the actual park but the locked gate is technically outside of the park.
:end quote

Camping @ 11,500 ft. in March! We may be putting stuff in the ice chests so that it doesn't freeze. Good thing I have -40 degree sleeping bags! I will look into the other campgrounds later this week as I have time.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Chris,

All that stuff about the cold climate at altitude like that reminds me of how cold it was when we were at 8000ft last year.

11,500 ft may cause problems with the youngins with their smaller lung capacity. Us adults shouldn't have as much of a problem, but still.

I know that anyone is going to be drinking alcohol at that altitude that it's going to make you a lot more intoxicated from the combo of oxygen deprivation.

Bruce is going to be helping me out with some GPS stuff... I'll share if I get anything.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Just confirming my attendance and that I have secured site #15.

Great to catch up with some previous wheeling buddies Lance, Ken, Chris, Tanto and some new guys I've not met yet.

At this stage I am not sure what my time schedule will be for heading up. I might leave directly from work (Studio City) rather than head back to Agoura Hills first. Will update when I know for sure.

Thanks guys for organizing.

Roll on YT DV 07

Last edited by Expat; 02-14-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Ken, what about your buddy from next door who came last year? Any chance of his interest? Haven't heard or seen of him since 06. Interesting guy.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tanto
Chris,

All that stuff about the cold climate at altitude like that reminds me of how cold it was when we were at 8000ft last year.

11,500 ft may cause problems with the youngins with their smaller lung capacity. Us adults shouldn't have as much of a problem, but still.
I think the little ones will be fine. We had Jack @ 13,000 ft. last summer in Colorado, didn't seem to phase him one bit. That is one thing I have learned having a kid, their little bodies are amazing and can adapt so much better and faster than ours. I think the cold is going to be the main factor, that is assuming the road is open all the way to the gate.

Mark, glad to hear that you are going to make it!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM

There seems to be some confusion about camping on Monday night. Use your map and follow the route. Going up from Lost Burro Mine takes you to White TOP Mountain. Not White Mountain. White Top Mountain peak elevation is 7607 feet, if you can camp right on top. I think there will be plenty of oxygen for the rug rats. No Worries.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

There seems to be some confusion about camping on Monday night. Use your map and follow the route. Going up from Lost Burro Mine takes you to White TOP Mountain. Not White Mountain. White Top Mountain peak elevation is 7607 feet, if you can camp right on top. I think there will be plenty of oxygen for the rug rats. No Worries.
LOL, you're right! When I googled White Top Mountain, it spits out all the junk on "White Mountain". I didn't even notice that I was researching the wrong mountain. The funny thing is that it is actually not that far away, but did seem slightly out of our way. I am going to have to make a summer trip to check out "White Mountain" it seems like a cool place.

Last edited by slosurfer; 02-15-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Expat
Ken, what about your buddy from next door who came last year? Any chance of his interest? Haven't heard or seen of him since 06. Interesting guy.
Are you thinking of Bob's neighbor? Or do you mean Scottiac that just happened to live down the street from me?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

First page updated.

Most important is that CB comms are going to me mandatory. A room is now available in Stovepipe Wells and I'm sure GoodTimes will be looking from an offer soon or will end up canceling the room.

No Bob this time around
Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Are you thinking of Bob's neighbor? Or do you mean Scottiac that just happened to live down the street from me?
No not Scottiac. I thought he was your neighbor..oh well. The guy I'm thinking about was involved in security mostly in Asia but also in Iraq I believe. Must have been Bob's neighbor.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Expat
No not Scottiac. .... Must have been Bob's neighbor.
I believe you are correct. It was Bob's neighbor. And sorry, but I'll be there as well , though I will be deviating a fair bit, so you won't have to put up with me too much!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Bump.....
Here is the link to the report and pics from last years trip for those who may be interested:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=Death+Valley
Old 02-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

The guy you're talking about was Bob's neighbor whose name was Glenn.

First page updated.

Scottiac, what days do you want me to put you down for?

Quick Reply: Death Valley '07 Planning Thread