Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Big Bear trail run Aug 7th-8th!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timber725
Nope, I confirmed with Discovery Center today. They have a fire pit on the campsite, and you only need a fire permit to do so.
That would be way cool- I hate camping with no campfire to BS around
Old 07-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Timber:

Do you have the exact camping location for these yellow flag sites? Since we can use the fire pits that'd be great for all of us. Do you think it's easily accessible and easy to find? Maybe we can do a quick run up there next weekend so we can map it all out when we go camping again?

Let me know.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Good Times
Hey Timber:

Do you have the exact camping location for these yellow flag sites? Since we can use the fire pits that'd be great for all of us. Do you think it's easily accessible and easy to find? Maybe we can do a quick run up there next weekend so we can map it all out when we go camping again?

Let me know.
There are maps to all the sites at the discovery center. They should also be able to give us details about the sites and how accessible they are. The ones I've seen are not that hard to get too. They are more remote, so the trail is rougher, but not tough. (2WD accessible).

One bad thing, you can only make reservation at the discovery center and they are open only between 8 AM to 6 PM. The sites are also first come first served, so we might not get one. (Unlikely, because I was up there during memorial weekend and there were plenty).

Goodtimes, we can do a scouting run up there. A day trip or so would be cool. Just let me know when, and I'll see if it works out.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Lets try for next weekend, 24th (sat). We can go up for the day and just goof off. Figure we can hit all the easy trails so we can map out what will be fun for everyone when we have it in aug 7-9.

All I want to do is find some good camping location taht everyone can find when they go up in the evening. Also try to find some new trails that might be fun to do.

Biff (Victor), were you the one that got the socal trail guide book?

I know someone here locally has one so if they do, you think you can post up some possible trails that we can hit?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Good Times
Lets try for next weekend, 24th (sat). We can go up for the day and just goof off. Figure we can hit all the easy trails so we can map out what will be fun for everyone when we have it in aug 7-9.

All I want to do is find some good camping location taht everyone can find when they go up in the evening. Also try to find some new trails that might be fun to do.

Biff (Victor), were you the one that got the socal trail guide book?

I know someone here locally has one so if they do, you think you can post up some possible trails that we can hit?

Thanks
Sounds good. I will talk to the wife. I have the trailss book. They show really easy trails (sedans can make the trip). I'll check again later tonight.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

well if you have the book maybe we can just study it so we don't have to go up

although mapping out the exact camping location would be good though. figure as long as we map it out and post it up here ppl would be able to find it unless ya'll can't read!!!

i just want to read up on the book so we can check out other trails as well that's all
Old 07-15-2004, 09:42 AM

Ialso have a camping book. I read through it this morning. There are quite a few ones out there. Hannah Flats is the easiest to find and get too, but it does cost a pretty penny: $20/night.

I'll read up and post here tongiht
Old 07-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I am very interested.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

I am not missing this! Pismo just looked like too much fun! Band be damned and work be damned!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Darx,

What band are you in? I'm in Vista and I'm always in one band or another

-Seth
Old 07-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Hey Darx,

What band are you in? I'm in Vista and I'm always in one band or another

-Seth
Is it your 4Runner I've been seeing over at Goblin Studios?

I'm in a Metal band called King E. Nothing big just having fun!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, did some homework and got some update on camping and trails:

Our best bet it to make a group reservation on a camping location. This ensures that we can camp together and it will be easier to find eachother. Also the rates are cheaper as a group rather than the individual rates of $15-20 per vehicle per night. I can arrange the RSVP as long as everyone pitches in. I don't want to be hit w/ the bill Figure if we get 10 vehicles, it'll be 15 bucks a vehicle. (cool?)

I've found a few possible locations: (From best to least) - #/# means people/vehicle limit

Gray's Peak Group Camp (3N14 x 2N13) - $130 for the weekend (40/8)
Tanglewood Group Camp (3N16 x 3N79) - $130 for the weekend (40/8)
Big Pine Flat Horse Camp (3N16 x 3N14) - $130 for the weekend (16 vehicle limit)
Tent Peg Group Camp (3N16 @ Crab Flats) - $130 for the weekend (30/5)
Ironwood Group Camp (3N14 x 3N97) - $130 for the weekend (25/5)
Green Spot Equestrian Camp (Hwy 38 x 2N93) - $100 for the weekend 25/8

(sample link of camp)

Adventure Pass required when parked outside of the campground. Call 909-337-2444 for information on where to obtain an Adventure Pass. Now after the 8 fill up, you'll need an Adventure Pass to park outside so you can camp with us. I called the Discovery Center and asked and they told me that they do have strict vehicle limits (Doubt they'll check but it's safe to have the Adv Pass - btw, REI/Sports Chalet has em and it's only $5.00 per day or $30 per year (2nd vehicle only $5 more).)

Some trails that I've found:
Twilight Run - Fawnskin to Butler Peak (2N13C) lookout tower - Easy
Take Hwy 38 to Rim of the World dr., which turns to dirt and becomes 3N14 out of Fawnskin to 2N13 (turn left). Follow 2N13 for a couple miles to 2N13C (turn left) Follow 2N13C for another couple miles to the end where the fire lookout tower is located at 8,535'. You can climb up to the lookout tower in 5-10 mins if you're so inclined. It's a great scenic trail and the view is DEFINITELY worth it! On the way back after the sunsets we may take 3N12 (Delmar Mt), 3N80, or 2N71 or such for some fun nighttime trail action.

Willow Creek (3N34) - Moderate
This trail is rated moderate if you don’t take any of the bypasses and is reach from Hwy 173 just north of the Rock Camp File by turning east on 3N34 and following the signs to the Pinnacles Staging/OHV area. The trail starts off by going up and then down a steep rutted hill, you can take the more difficult left track on the rougher route up and over the hill or the easier bypass on the right. After meeting back up where the routes converge the trail follows the creek bed and intersects ash meadows (2N75) on the way to Stove Flats. For there we will turn right (south) on 2N29 to the Rouse Ranch Trail.

Rouse Ranch (2N29Y, 2N28Y, 2N27Y) - Moderate
This trail is rated moderate and made up several shorter trials and is only a couple miles long but provides some vistas of lake, trees, mts. From Stove Flats you turn right (south) or 2N29Y and begin climbing up a ridge south toward Lake Arrowhead. At 2N28Y the trail turns left back to the east and is a short section until its meets 2N27Y which is the most challenging part that has a couple of rougher ascending sections will ruts, loose terrain, and gets steep in places. 2N27Y can be bypassed by following 2N28Y to Rouse Meadow and 3N34. 2N27Y exits back on 3N34 just after the water tank. From there we will follow 3N34 to the start of the Dishpan springs trail at the intersection of 2N26Y.

Jacoby Canyon (3N61) and Holcomb Valley (3N16) - Easy to Moderate
The Jacoby Canyon trail can be taken in the ascending direction off Highway 18 past Cactus Springs or the descending route off 3N16 past Doble trail camp dear the Lucky Baldwin Mine. The trail is 3 mile long and passes through Jacoby springs and becomes a little looser and harder as the canyon narrows and he hit a few rocky or bumpy sections. 3N16 is rated more difficult but any stock 4x4 X should be able to successfully run this trail.

Gold Mountain (3N69) - More Difficult
This three-mile plus more difficult trail is best accessed from Highway 18 about a mile from the east edge of Big Bear City. The trail starts up the ridge and switches back and forth gaining altitude on loose and rocky terrain. There are several nice views of the valley bellows and the lake on the climb to over 8,200' from 6,700. Once passed the Gold Mountain Peak the trails quickly descents toward 3N16.

White Mountain (3N17) - Moderate - More Difficult
This six mile trail is rated moderate unless you take several of the side spurs that are most difficult. The east end of the trail can been reached by taking 3N16 through Big Pine Flat to the 3N17 intersection. The trail in easy at first but becomes more difficult as it quickly ascends west toward the summit with steeper grades and loose terrain. After about a mile the first challenge called Frustration Hill appears which can be bypassed if you don’t want to take on this difficult section lake features loose, rocky, steep terrain, there’re best for those with traction devices and hill climbing experience. After another mile or so along the ridge the trail intersects 3N56 and continues climbing all the way to 7700’ and the south peak. After bypassing Suicide Hill the last of the three challenges Cal 3 Wheel Hill appears that is a short dead end spur. Back on the main trail the descent starts quickly and the trail becomes easier on the way to Coyote Flat (4N16) that is the end of the trail. Form there a access road is taken just south of Horse Spring Campground to Fifteen Mile Valley (just east of Rabbit Lake) and SR 18 to the west of Lucerne Valley.

John Bull Trail (3N10) to Union Flats and Holcomb Valley 3N16 - Most Difficult
The trail starts at the intersection of 3N16 and 3N02 just east of Holcomb valley and is easy for the most past as it moves up towards Union Flat. The next section of the trail from the intersection of 3N02 to 3N10 is about a mile and half long and rate more difficult; there are a couple of rocky boulder section to traverse. 3N32 is the easier descent back to 3N16 and Holcomb valley.

Dishpan Springs / Deep Creek (3N34) - Most Difficult
This trail is rated most difficult/ black diamond because of the boulders near Deep Creek and Devil’s slide, which is the toughest challenge you will encounter. The ascending direction W to E that we will be taking is more challenging but can be/has been done with near stock 4x4 X’s with good off-road tires and sliders. The deep creek crossing is now bridged but the boulder patch after words is challenging and features some very loose soil, steps and holes that challenge most vehicles, extra ground clearance and a bit of lift helps in this section. After that the trail begins to climb but is narrow will rock squeezes in places on a ridge until a couple of tricky switchbacks knows as Devil’s slide which features some rocks steps, a optional waterfall climbing, on a steep up hill section will loose soil and holes. The waterfall is tough and best for those with added traction devices but can be bypassed on the right but requires some spotting and slow crawling since it’s easier but still difficult. The trail continues to climb and there is still a few tricky sections remaining but generally gets easier on the way to Ten Peg campground which is to the right back in the trees. The last section from Tent Peg to Crab Flats and 3N16 is an easy simple dirt trail.

Holcomb Creek (3N93) - Most Difficult
This trail is rated most difficult / black diamond because of the two rock gardens that must be navigated but is more moderate the rest of the time. We will be running this trail from west to east or up stream. Accessed from 3N16 at the west end the trail starts off with a short rock garden that can be made as challenging as the line selected. After that the trails climbs up a slope and away from the creek until the most challenging rock garden, which is down slope after a twisty turn, this one requires crawling and some spotting to climb around the boulders and past the rock squeezes in between this narrow section. After that there will be a series of down and uphill moguls with various size holes/ruts that can be fun as we snake around the trees down towards the creek bed. Once across the creek the trail becomes easy on the way to the 3N14 intersection just past Hanna Flat. From there we can continue straight to the 3N89 turnoff that connects to 3N17 or go right on 3N14 toward Big Pine Flat.

Some other "most difficult" trails that I found are Devil's Hole but I don't have a physical map so I cant say how to start. Reading online it looks like it's somewhere in Lake Arrowhead near the 76 Gas Station (Bruce, you and I met up there to air up). Anyway, I'll see if I can find some info on this one as this might be a fun trail to start the saturday for the adventurous.

I'll pick up a local trail map guide book if REI has one and see what more I can find. I know there are tons of easy trails so I'll see if I can get something going so the new members can have fun discovering stuff too

That's all for now. If ya guys have any experience in this area and want to let me a hand on finding some cool trails for both levels, that'd be a great help!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, you did do your homework! I'm down for pitching in on a campsite most definately as long as this is Taco friendly. I've missed two great trips so far this month, Pismo and TTORA Takeover so this is probably my big summer trip!

I'm probably a moderate trail type rig so I'll do the ones listed as being tougher as long as there are bypasses for that stuff. It sounds like you have to take the bypasses. I'd love to watch the big rigs get it on but I would prefer not to. I'll be rubbing like crazy as it is.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Is it cool for me to come for just Saturday? I really wanna try out my new locker (if it's on by then) but I cant get the whole weekend off.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Darx
I'll be rubbing like crazy as it is.
What is gonna rub? You have good size tires and the 1" BL, and the susp lift. Other than the sliders, what do you rub on?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
What is gonna rub? You have good size tires and the 1" BL, and the susp lift. Other than the sliders, what do you rub on?
I'm the same setup up still I had for Ocotillo. Just during articulation it sounds like a fender is going to tear off. Sometimes going over a dip to fast send the tires into the mud flaps/fenders.

I plan to lift the front more tomorrow by cranking the coils. My CVs are almost flat so I have plenty of room to increase that. Once I get that up I'll probably see how much I need to lift the rear and get a new set of shackles from Downey to get the rear up next week.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might only be able to make it up for one day as well. I'll see what happens. It still all depends if my truck will be done, I'm waiting to get the upper arms made, so hopefully that happens soon.

Darx- That's probably me you see over by Goblin. I haven't rehearsed there in a long time, but I drive that way all the time, it's the back way to my place from Protrux. If you go to Guitar Center you might have seen me there to I worked in Pro Audio A year and a half ago. I'll Have to check you guys out if you play any shows around here. What do you play?
-Seth
Old 07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Tentative Headcout List:

Good Times
Bruce
RobT2K
r0cky
timber725
calrockx
ShowStop
Bud
tms2u
Bob_98SR5
deathrunner
Pretacopower
SkyRat
Darx

What we all need to decide on is whether or not the group camping w/ the rsvp is a good idea or not. If not, then we'll all have to find out own camp site(s) and deal w/ finding one that's free (Yellow Sign camp sites) or pay on our own. I don't mind setting up the rsvp so long as we all can agree to this. I will base the camp site on availability according to the list that I wrote up a few posts above. Check the details and let me know what you guys think. Also once the vehicle limit for parking in the camp site is full, you can always part outside w/ your Adventure Pass (required for ppl parking on the street).

I just purchased 2 so if someone needs one, hit me up. Btw REI is selling the primary card for 27 and the secondary card for only 4 so the prices has gone down!
Old 07-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I'll pitch in for a group camp.....
Old 07-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Group camp.

Quick Reply: Big Bear trail run Aug 7th-8th!!