Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

thoughts on buying an FJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thoughts on buying an FJ

So I've been around a while...mainly on the 4runner forums. I've owned a few 4runners and currently own a first gen right now. Which I absolutely love!

I've been kicking the idea around about getting an FJ and been doing a bit of research on them.

What do you guys think of this one...

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/1205/photos/767713

I believe they have it for 21K and some change. Not that I'm completely interested in that one in particular, it's setup like I'd want it.

Anyways, just wanted to hear from you guys. thanks.
btw, here's my current rig...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 AM

The only problem I ever had with the FJ is I found that there isn't very good visibility out the back. Other than that, I think their great trucks.

BTW, on one other note, go for an automatic like that truck. The manual's are all wheel drive. You don't have an option of 2wd, and personally, I don't like that too much...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Well if your asking for opinions, i think they are hideous. But yes, i have heard as well they have horrible visibility. Another thing to look at is they honestly are not the best trial vehicles, they are wide, almost 9 inches wider than your 1st gen 4runner. Longer wheel base and taller overall. So basically youd be getting an ungly minivan.

That and youd have to afford a new roof top tent!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
there nice, i wouldnt do any crazy offroading in them but maybe a daily driver/camping rig but thats about it. theres 2 reasons i wouldnt get it, 1) its black...have fun keeping it clean. lol 2)payments suck balls.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
went and put a deposit down for a trail teams edition back in august. got it to the lot. test drove it. loved it except for the blindspots. but i reckon you would get used to that as you do in any car. wheeling it wasnt anywhere in my thoughts when looking at this truck. she'd be a street queen all day. and a tow rig for my runner. ended up not getting it due to a bs salesman not giving me the cut i wanted. had that not gone down i would be a fj owner
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Having had owned an FJ I would definitely recommend one. They are very capable offroad. The only reason I sold mine was to get a small city and commuter friendly car. The FJ gets decent mileage stock (better than my 4R) but mine wasn't stock. Was getting about 15MPG lifted with 33s. I LOVED mine and would/will buy one again. If you want advice from actual owners check out fjbruiser.org and fjcruiserforums.com. Heavy on and off roaders there and lots of info. Here are a few shots of mine.
Attached Thumbnails thoughts on buying an FJ-mudfling-09-2.jpg   thoughts on buying an FJ-img_5890.jpg   thoughts on buying an FJ-mudfling2-09.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Also, on the truck you are looking at, what are all the aftermarket switches for?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good in all black... personally I prefer a stick... your 1gen looks great...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Personally i think you should just post more pics of your current rig, just so we can get a better idea...yeah....a better idea for what it would be competing with. Make sure that some of the pics are offroad in nature.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbrain
Well if your asking for opinions, i think they are hideous. But yes, i have heard as well they have horrible visibility. Another thing to look at is they honestly are not the best trial vehicles, they are wide, almost 9 inches wider than your 1st gen 4runner. Longer wheel base and taller overall. So basically youd be getting an ungly minivan.

That and youd have to afford a new roof top tent!
All of your epinions are second hand knowledge.
I find the visibility just fine having been use to driving a lot worse vehicles at work, and if you learn the proper way to drive by using mirrors the way they were designed to be used, there are no issues with blind spots or visibility problems with the FJ Cruiser.

FJs are used all over the USA on hardcore trails and are able to stand their ground with other off road vehicles.
Miss FJs FJ here is bone stock, right down to the factory tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5KyVaeeW54

Vids never do it justice when it comes to angle/steepness, here are pics from using
Many have flipped and rolled over on the accent of that hill.

First gen 4Runner wheel base 103"
Width 66.5"
Height 66.1"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner

FJ Cruisers wheel base 105.9", just 2.9" longer than the first gen 4Runner.
Width 74.6", just 8.1" wider than the first gen 4Runner.
Height 72", less than 6" higher than the frst gen 4Runner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FJ_Cruiser

Lots of bargains on roof top tents too on the market if you know where to look.
Mine is NOT for sale

Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Corey that was a great vid of a stock FJ in action. Agree the key with any vehicle is knowing how to drive it.

Also, I too found the visibility to be no problem. I had heard about it before buying the truck but once I had it, I just took the time to properly adjust my mirrors and no problem at all and rear visibility is a MUST parallel parking in DC!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

The visibilty out the back is not bad. We loved our FJ but due to the wife driving 2 hours round trip to work it just wasnt for us. Out the box they are great. Ours was a 6 speed and we liked the fact that it was all wheel drive. These are some vids of our stock FJ on stock tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1GMwaqpjGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNq8c...eature=related

Last edited by toy4whatever; 03-05-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
FJ Cruisers wheel base 105.9", just 2.9" longer than the first gen 4Runner.
Width 74.6", just 8.1" wider than the first gen 4Runner.
Height 72", less than 6" higher than the frst gen 4Runner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FJ_Cruiser
Just 8 inches wider? Alright Corey, why dont you show for the next Evans creek or Walker valley run? See how much is left of your FJ in those trails.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Birdbrain-you need to start using your noodle.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Birdbrain
Just 8 inches wider? Alright Corey, why dont you show for the next Evans creek or Walker valley run? See how much is left of your FJ in those trails.
Listen up birdbrain, if I had a vehicle I did not care about I would run those trails no problem.
I have taken mine on other trails with no problems.

It is obvious you have never driven an FJ and have made your observations about them from the comfort of your easy chair.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Deep cleansing breath everybody...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
It doesn't matter the rig, its the driver......
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still thinking things through.

I love my 1st Gen. It does everything I need it to do, I was just interested in getting something a little newer. btw, my first gen get's stored winters and never see's snow or salt. Has zero rust and so I wanted to keep it that way. Took me a while to find something that wasn't rusted out and beat.

I'll probably keep the first gen and buy either an FJ or something else...? not sure yet. More reading is at hand. Thanks again.

Corey, I love your rig! I've been watching it get transformed...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't own an FJ but drove one at Tellico for about an hour or more when the Trail Teams were going around the country. With a 3" lift, sliders and a full belly skid I beat the crap out of it and had fun doing so. Would I own one? No. Not my style or taste. Is it a capable Toyota wheeler? Sure, but it's obviously not a hardcore trail rig without extreme modifications like what Petersen's did a couple years ago on Ultimate Adventure.

I much prefer the 84-95 Toyota era stuff.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Lotus1
Thanks for all the replies guys. Still thinking things through.

I love my 1st Gen. It does everything I need it to do, I was just interested in getting something a little newer. btw, my first gen get's stored winters and never see's snow or salt. Has zero rust and so I wanted to keep it that way. Took me a while to find something that wasn't rusted out and beat.

I'll probably keep the first gen and buy either an FJ or something else...? not sure yet. More reading is at hand. Thanks again.

Corey, I love your rig! I've been watching it get transformed...
Thank you very much, this has been the best rig I have ever owned, and the one that gets me the most excited to mod and drive the thing.

It is almost complete, maybe a rear bumper, but that is about it.
I built it up for camping in the backcountry, and it does it very well.

I would hang onto your 1st gen still if you intend on buying an FJ Cruiser down the road.

Have had mine since July of 2006, and the windshield was replaced once, and a rock chip repaired on the new windshield once.

Quick Reply: thoughts on buying an FJ