Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Should I buy a 1993 Land Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a 1993 Land Cruiser?

Hi, I am really into the toyota pickups but we now have more of a need for an suv. I have a 1998 isuzu rodeo which is almost ready for the road. I just put a transmission in it. It needs an exhaust gasket due to me taking it apart to do the transmission and the new fuel gauge sending unit needs to be installed.

The other day I ran into a 1993 Toyota land Cruiser with the factory lockers. 34 tsl swampers and a safari snorkle. I wasn't planning on having a super capable offroad suv but it would be fun. The down fall is the he wants $5200 for it and I have heard that these trucks are gas pigs.

I was wondering if anyone that has one of these truck could tell me what kind of mileage they actually get. Any other information on these trucks that I should know about be for buying one would be great. I have watched a lot of videos on youtube and they are good offroad for their size.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rust and driveability (engine tranny etc) pending that's one great deal!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 AM

I have had a FJ60, 2 FJ80s, and currently have a UZJ100. The mileage on the FJ80 (91-97) all get right around 10MPG, but you have an extremely capable off road vehicle that will go anywhere! I love cruisers, always have, always will. The fuel is just the price to pay to own a legend.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sportbiker929
I have had a FJ60, 2 FJ80s, and currently have a UZJ100. The mileage on the FJ80 (91-97) all get right around 10MPG, but you have an extremely capable off road vehicle that will go anywhere! I love cruisers, always have, always will. The fuel is just the price to pay to own a legend.
Great saying!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks man!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Condition

The truck has a new ok paint job. The only reason I say it is not perfect is because it has the orange peal look to it and they painted the fender flairs the same color as the truck. Other than that it looks great. The interior is clean other than missing floor mats. 152,000 miles I think. The engine sounded good. Check engine light was on and he said it was an oxygen sensor which is no big deal. He said the garage told him that and it was $200 plus labor. I have to check the price and I would do it myself. The tires are getting to the end of their life so that is another expense. No rust that I saw. The frame was mostly rust free unlike my pickup which is flaking apart. Some of the accessory pulleys were not spinning true so I'm sure they have been off for one reason or another. He said that he paid a garage to rebuild the front axle. New gears and bearings. His english was not that good but he said something about the axle shafts so they might be new also.

The things that I don't like is that it has been used offroad before so it could be beat. He said he has had it in water and mud up to the bottom of the windows. I wonder if the gear oil in the rears is milky and the same with the transmission. He went to rausch creek in PA once but he said the rocks were rough and he did not want to beat it up. You can definately tell by looking under it that is has been in the mud. I just have to look everything over good. Do these trucks have raised vents for the diffs and transmission from the factory?

The things I really like is the fact that it has the locking diffs. Did all 1993s have this or was it an option. The 4.5 is nice too because the older ones are much slower. Are all of these land cruisers full time 4wd? Is there a way to make it 2wd for the street and put locking hubs on the front. The would make it better on fuel but in order to make it 2wd fulltime for the steet I am guessing the transfer case would need to be swapped unless there is a mod that I do not know about. That is why I am asking. Is there anything that commonly goes on these during normal use or offroad use that I should look at? How long do the transmission usually last?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 PM

I have owned a 94 fj80 with diff lockers for the last five years. I have driven it from Colorado to BC, ferried it to Bella Coola and driven back. It's been a daily driver and hauled the kids to hockey tournements on the other side of the state. Mileage depends on highway speed, uphill or downhill, headwind or tailwind, red lights or green. Best I ever got was 13.5 mpg, worst, I don't really want to know. Average is 11.5 I suppose. The Lockers are AWESOME, total mtn goat. I live in aspen colorado and have to access a mining claim on the back of the ski mountain. No plowed roads due to land-use restrictions, but I can jump on the packed snow track with good snow tires and go like crazy (until I get REALLY stuck, but that is another story). The gas price thing here (resort prices!) has finally gotten to me and I have switched into a 4runner with my dreamed of toyota turbo diesel factory engine. I got 24 mpg on the trip home at 75mph on the highway. So, the Landcruiser, which has appreciably more room in it, must make way for the better mileage beast. The little turbo just growls and sails right on up the pass! Good luck!