Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

How much should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How much should I ask?

I have a 1989 extended cab 4x4 with a 3.0 6cyl. EFI and 207,000 miles. Engine is good. Intereior is dirty but good. Body is good with no rust. New parts include front shocks, cat conv., muffler, left front pitman arm, exhaust, battery, spark plugs, front left tie rod. Truck has camper shell that is kinda crappy. Tires are decent but mismatched brands. Brush gaurd that is kinda rusty. Lifted 2". Heater and ac work. CD/mp3 and cheap speakers. AND my clutch is bad. How much can I expect to get for it? I also have all records since it was new. Im the second owner and live in Northern California.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 to 3000
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM

$3000
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM

2500 to 2800,clutch is a big job.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Try Kelley's Blue Book for value. Up here in Northern California these trucks are common (parts are easy to get) and in high demand. Look around for similar ads to get a price range.

I would figure around 3k would be a good place to start. But unless you're trying to sell it off right now, why not try for more and lower if no one buys? People are going to low-ball your price, no matter what you ask for it (if you say $2500, they are gonna offer $2000, etc.). Also, for California it will have to pass smog before you can transfer the title I think... just a heads up.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 PM

here in az no more than $2500
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM

You can transfer title and not even smog it. I bought my 79 and the po didn't smog it. Let me know a set price on your truck. I have someone looking for one. I'm in cazadero , forestville, sebastopol area. Lemme know
Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gigatech88
You can transfer title and not even smog it. I bought my 79 and the po didn't smog it. Let me know a set price on your truck. I have someone looking for one. I'm in cazadero , forestville, sebastopol area. Lemme know
You can if that's what you negotiate or know the seller well, but probably not wise. If the seller doesn't have or can't get a current (within the last 90 days) smog check that tells you something about the vehicle. Either way, you'll need to get a smog before registering the vehicle under your name, so better the seller foots the bill and you also know something about the condition of the vehicle. OR even if the seller paid a shop off to give him a false passing smog test at least the new owner will have a couple years to fix it before the next test.

"When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:
  • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
  • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance"
Old 08-01-2013, 05:00 PM

↑↑↑ True. But the dmv did not care at all. I looked up the previous smog certificates online. payed 30 bucks for a smog and was done. What's in the books and what the dmv actually does are two completely different things.

Thankfully I live in an area in N.Cal where I don't have to smog it ever again. Desmog in progress..