Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

3rd Gen 4Runner versus '96-7 Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen 4Runner versus '96-7 Land Cruiser

Newbie here. I've been having a fun time with a newly acquired '96 4Runner, (winch has paid for itself many times) but now it's time to decide what's in my best interest.
Here's the scenario: I've got a commuter car that's worth more for me to keep than sell, but I need a truck for truck stuff and I've taken interest with off-roading. Using the 4Runner as a secondary vehicle for Fridays and weekends is fun, but I'll need to start pouring money into her for a little more substantial off-roading.

In order to get the 4Runner up to a minimal standard, I need some BFG MT's or AT's, sliders (my running boards are looking bad), and of course install a rear diff lock, as it was not included on my particular vehicle. Sure I can do all this, and cut my costs but we're still around $2K for extras on a SUV with 195K miles, and a automatic tranny that I haven't accessed. . . yet. So, there lies the dilemma, do I keep it, or invest in something else?

After research, the other interesting option is a '96 or '97 Land Cruiser or Lexus LX450 with locking front and rear diffs, and a solid front axle. Year to year comparisons indicate the Land Cruiser is a more formidable SUV. If I had a Land Cruiser, I would purchase a winch, off-road tires when old ones wear out, sliders when need, but would probably steer clear of any lift and such as I would with the 4Runner. I'd get more room, less MPG (not a big concern of weekend vehicle), and maybe even a plush interior with a nicer stock stereo. I like that the lockers are solid axle are already there, and the price of Land Cruiser or LX450 would be very competitive to the cost for me modify my 4Runner as such.

That's my though process, have I accessed this correctly? Should I go for a Land Cruiser or just modify my 4Runner?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned a '94 cruiser with the diff lockers for the last five years as my daily driver. I absolutely love the diff lockers. I kept my cruiser stock, and here in Aspen Colorado, with good snow tires on it is just incredible what a stock rig will do. I access a mining claim on the back of the ski moutain, where we cannot plow the road. I can't tell you how many times i've gotten unstuck with the lockers. The resort gas prices have finally gotten to me and I'm swapping the LC for a four runner with a turbo diesel implant. I've been averaging about 11.5 mpg in the LC. My cruiser is for sale now, but pretty rough cosmetically...