Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Are 3.0's THAT bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are 3.0's THAT bad?

I'm looking for opinions on the 3.0's.
I might be getting a 2nd gen 4runner soon and honestly I'm afraid of the 3.0's! I read the looong thread/poll "Who Has NOT Had HG Issues With 3VZE?" there is some good info there and it seems like the majority did NOT have head gasket problems.

Has anyone here ever swapped out the 3.0 for the 3.4??
If you have I would appreciate any info or advise you have on it.
I'm thinking whatever 2nd gen I get I will be looking into this sooner or later.

Here's what started it all.......
I posted I would like to trade my FJ60 for a 4runner on a few boards.
Here is the specs:
I have an 86 FJ60 I'd like to trade for a 4runner.

Would prefer a built pre-1995, but will consider others.

1996 FJ60, ARB front bumper with a Warn 8274 winch, IPOR rear bumper with spare tire swing out and Hi-Lift mount, 5speed (h55), OME lift, shocks, greasable shackles, FJ62 axles (4.10's), Like new 33x12.50 BFG MT's, Tuffy center console W/Kenwood CD, WagonGear tailgate lid, CB, Inclinometer in dash under factory radio. Some other misc stuff, FJ62 steering wheel and grab bars, etc.

Have a folder with papers, invoices, pictures and receipts. From paperwork that came with it:
Around 151k (1997) it had a new water pump and fan clutch, windshield, Clutch, Tuneup, New Battery.

April of 2008 it got a full tune-up and all belts and hoses were replaced with all OEM toyota parts and a new radiator.

Right now it has 162,xxx miles.
Also Has new cat back exhaust put on this past fall.
New PA inspection good untill 3/12.

I have this posted on a few different boards so best way to reach me is by email. spraar@aol.com

Here are some pic's and a Video.
*Roof Top Tent and Hi-Lift not included.

YouTube - FJ60 plowing snow

I already have quite a few offers but only 2 that I'm really interested in right now.
One is a 1990 4runner 180k with a new rough country 3 or 4" lift, new 35's and an aussie locker in the rear.
The other is a 94 4runner 160k pretty much the same lift on 33'sbut it just blew a head gasket last week. The guy bought everything to fix it if I'm willing to wait a couple weeks. This one has a nicer body but no locker.

The problem is I have a voice in the back of my head saying that my Land Cruiser is worth pretty much more than either 4runner. AND I'm concerned about the head gasket issue.

In your opinion am I crazy for trading my pretty well built FJ60 for a lifted 4runner??????????
And what are your opinions on the 3.0 motors?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 PM

3 liter

Aside from the head gasket issues and being very gutless, they are not THAT bad. I seen many 3.0's with well over 300K.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:26 PM

I like my 3.0, no issues yet, it has headers, the power is nice compared to the 22re. I've beat on it a little and it holds up.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya aside from blowing head gaskets routinely, getting gas mileage like a V-8 Chevy, power like a moped, and just an all around mess to work on...........they are not that bad.

3.4 swapped and never a regret
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the 3.4 is one of the most common swaps on here.
Try the search function and theres also a specific section for 3.4 swaps with tons of good info to get you started
Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Yeah I've always heard of 3.0 refered to as 3.slows.
I met the guy with the 90 4runner Saturday and drove it. It has 4.56's and 35's and I was surprized by it. It seemed to pull pretty hard through the gears, I was assuming it was gonna be a dog.

yotasonaplane,
Can you post a pic of your 95, I'd like to see what it looks like with the ARB on it.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM

i beat the hell out of my 3vz and i love it it still runs great i would not trade it for a 22re or 5vz (unless the 5vze was free) it will outrun most fullsize v8s (proof will be on youtube in a couple weeks)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 94toyota
i beat the hell out of my 3vz and i love it it still runs great i would not trade it for a 22re or 5vz (unless the 5vze was free) it will outrun most fullsize v8s (proof will be on youtube in a couple weeks)
all that will "prove" is that the fullsize truck was not trying. if you want to keep your dignity, dont post those videos.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Ya aside from blowing head gaskets routinely, getting gas mileage like a V-8 Chevy, power like a moped, and just an all around mess to work on...........they are not that bad.

3.4 swapped and never a regret

I'll give you some objective facts, rather than just unsubstantiated opinions...

I had a 89 22re, and an 88 3.0, both got the same fuel mileage, 3.0 had way more power, neither of them have given me any trouble.

So.. hard to see from my specific experience why the 3.0 had such a bad rep.

And I think alot of headgaskets blow multiple times because the people doing them in their backyard are not doing them properly or reusing headbolts or using a $10 torque wrench to do the bolts lol.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by MB4runner
I'll give you some objective facts, rather than just unsubstantiated opinions...

I had a 89 22re, and an 88 3.0, both got the same fuel mileage, 3.0 had way more power, neither of them have given me any trouble.

And I think alot of headgaskets blow multiple times because the people doing them in their backyard are not doing them properly or reusing headbolts or using a $10 torque wrench to do the bolts lol.
Thanks for your post and I agree.
Also they are probably not checking them to see if they are warped and/or not having them machined.

I had a 95 years ago and I never had a problem with it. I also have known others who have had 3.0's either in 1st gen or 2nd gen runners (pick-ups too) and no one that I know of has had a problem. BUT I always hear horror stories and some of them have to be true, Plus there was a recall on them.

I called Toyota earlier today with the VIN of the 90 I'm looking at and they said its not on the list for the recall. I've heard before the recall was for mid model year 90's through somewhere in the 95 model years. So I guess the one I'm looking at is an early model 90.
I guess that's a plus?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM

I have a 3.0 and its not bad at all. I have had it for 3 years never had to do a head gasket. I have a leaking front main seal right now and had to do a water pump but thats it besides routine maintenance.. I can hit 90 in it no problem. it is completely stock (with 31's). Umm, I love my 3vze but have been considering a 3.4 liter swap just for the extra power (I want to put a receiver hitch on and be able to pull a trailer without any power problems).
Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.0s arent bad engines most people that say they suck, either has never had one, or ran it into the ground, and blew a HG, and they say ohh 3.0 another HG problem, I havent changed my oil in 10,000 miles, or changed out my coolant in 120,000 miles. ( not me , kind of a joke of what someone else would say when they blow a HG)

3VZE
-O2 sensor, is a biggy for Gas mileage, as is the Air filter.
A Clogged Air Filter is like putting ur hand over your mouth and running a mile.
regular oil changes, and tune ups, and general maintenance, will keep that engine tickin down the road .

22RE
-Easier to work on
-handful of less power
-Has HG issues to, not just the 3VEEZY
-people tear these motors up
-Better Fuel Economy, less power
-Reliable just like any engine, as long as you keep up on Maintenance.

It basically comes down to

More Horses/ Less Fuel Econ
Less Horses/ More Fuel Econ

AVG. VEEZY 150 HP/ 180 TQ
13-15 in the City
17-18 HWY Both 5 speeds. Auto will get you about 1-2 Less
MPGs ( from my experience )

AVG. 22RE 116 HP/ 140 TQ
19-21 City
20-25 HWY

Overall Very Good Engines
22RE Little easier to work on, and put performance parts on but an I4 only goes so far

if you want something that can get some pretty good power, and build up
Look into a 5VZFE,
Thats just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Welcome to YT

Last edited by JDS1992; 01-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info.

I know the 22r/re's pretty well, I've been driving since 86 and have always owned a toyota 4x4 of some sort. All but one (the 95 4runner) were either 2nd gen pick-ups or 1st gen 4runners up untill a few years ago when I got into Land Cruisers. In the past 3 or so years I've had 3 FJ80's and 2 FJ60's. Right now I have the one in my OP and a locked 94 FJ80. I regret selling most but unfortunately you can't keep them all. lol
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Oh and thanks for the welcome....I've been here awhile just don't post much.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ToyFan
Oh and thanks for the welcome....I've been here awhile just don't post much.
Yea that is truee,,It sucks. you cant keep them all.

Well Welcome back then, haha
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyFan
In your opinion am I crazy for trading my pretty well built FJ60 for a lifted 4runner??????????

Thanks.
Yes. you are nuts, submit yourself for a full Pysch Eval
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MB4runner

I am not sure how my "opinions" are unsubstantiated

Have I not owned a 3.0? Did I not drive it? Did I not have to almost get out and push it up grades that my 3.4 flies over? Did I not get crappy mileage? Did it not blow a headgasket? Did Toyota not attach and properly torque the first head gaskets and probably use "new" bolts? Did it not spin a rod bearing and become a boat anchor? Are there not 1000's of post online about unhappy 3.0 owners? Are they all making this up? Is there not an absence of 1000"s of post online about unhappy 22RE owners? Are there not presumably many more 22r and 22re motors cruising the world happily? Is there also not a lack of 1000's of post of unhappy 3.4 owners?

Are you also one of the happy Yugo drivers in the United States. I am sure there are a few.

As the OP stated, it seemed that the majority did not have headgasket issues. Well hells bells if that isn't a glowing endorsement!!!! Thats like saying that, I am afraid of eating at Taco Bell but the majority didn't have violent diarrhea so I am going for it. The MAJORITY??!! So if 20% of them cannot keep a headgasket then all's good?

To say that you have survived the 3.0 is one thing. To say that it isn't an inherently flawed motor in almost every way is another.

My substantiated opinion is that I will never buy another 3.0 vehicle unless I know that a 3.4 or a 3rz will be replacing it. The difference is astounding in every way.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 3.0L 3VZE in my runner, I have ran the snot out of it, fed it water, even made the belts squeal to the point my ears are bleeding but she still hauls her own weight till this day. maybe not as well as some other 6cyl could doo but it does the trick. I never had a head gasket issue on mine and I have 205000km on my Rig. To help prevent your HG from blowing throw in a modded heat temp gage, swap out the resistors. Here ill give you a site you can check out.... and the more gages the better you know whatz going on under that hood in front of you.

Yota surfs have the same cluster as 4Runners pretty much...
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/tempgauge.htm
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM

My 3.0 has nearly 300K miles on it. I use quality oil (Mobil1 synthetic) & quality oil filters (wix) BUT I have been known to let it get really low on oil because it has a leak in the rear of the passenger side deck....I think it's that O-ring on a crossover I hear so much about but I don't feel like ripping it apart to find out for several reasons.

That said, the 3.0 has never given me any problems. Yes it is underpowered for the weight of the vehicle when you throw in steep hills & mountains, towing or heavy loads in the back. If you get into muddy spots like I sometimes do it doesn't produce enough power to rip itself loose. It also gets only 15 m.p.g. combined driving.

But the 3.0 aside from the power/weight/crappy fuel economy issues isn't a bad engine. A 3.4 makes more H.P. & gets slightly better fuel economy (from what I've been told) so I don't see a downside to upgrading to a 3.4 if the 3.0 is done. But I'd drive the 3.0 into the ground first, I wouldn't pull out a running one "just because".

I'm more used to V8 power + mud & have never been a straight rock crawler. I'm more of an expedition guy....if I can drive on it, in it or through it I'll drive interstates & highways & gravel roads to get there & give it a shot! The 4Runner has gotten stuck on me three times all of them in mud & I haven't been stuck more than five times in my life before that. I'm convinced it's a matter of power to weight.

Of course that's just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM

i hate my 3.0, there is always something wrong with it. When it runs i love it, but i have had numerous problems with it not starting. Actually it wont even start right now.