California SoCal California SoCal Chapter

Looking to change out A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to change out A/C Compressor

Hey guys,
New to the forum as I have just acquired a '98 4Runner Limited. Runs great but AC Compressor belt was missing and turns out the AC compressor is seized. From the looks of it, it hasn't been used in a long time b/c the pulley has developed some rust. It's probably the clutch but the clutch is so labor intensive that I figure for safety sake I should just replace the entire compressor. In any case, has anyone done this before and any advice? Better yet, if you've done it before and are willing to help, I'd appreciate it too. I'm in Alhambra in the San Gabriel Valley area of Los Angeles.

From what I understand:
Evacuate Freon
Remove compressor, dryer and receiver
Replace with new compressor, dryer and receiver
Recharge Freon

Anything else I should be aware of? I heard that I need to take off the left axle, is that right?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 AM

A/c Exchange

How is the a/c exchange going? I did one on a 97 not that long ago. I ended up removing the fan and clutch to get the room i needed to get in there.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately I had to wait a week for a used compressor and haven't had time to change it out yet. Will probably tackle it next week though. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think mine just seized up on my taco, just re-did a timing belt and had a crankshaft pulley bolt come off and destroy the pulley, just fixed everything and runs great but the AC pulley/clutch will occasionally stop spinning and bog the engine down (belt will stop sometimes also and smoke). it's been having idle issues which I thought was due to a tune but I think it's the AC unit that is causing my problems.

I don't know much about the AC unit, but wondering if this is common. sounds like you have a similar problem with yours, is this something a shop needs to do because of the refrigerant?

I was also wondering if it was possible to replace just the pulley/clutch without messing with the pressurized system.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM

Sorry for the delay but I changed out the compressor this past weekend. 6 months too late. It's getting hot in LA so I figured I should change it out before summer rolls around.

Mr. Spohn, no need to remove the fan or clutch. From your pic, looks like you have a 2G 4Runner. I have a '98 so the engine layout may be different. I only had to remove the power steering pump and push it out of the way (did not disconnect any PS hoses).

aa1911, sounds like your AC clutch is going out. If it hasn't gone out already (seized), I would recommend cutting your belt before the compressor seizes and causes you more troubles down the road. Regardless, you need to have a shop evacuate/recover all of the freon in your AC system before you work on the compressor. You could replace the clutch/bearing w/o taking any of the hoses off but if you look at the cost of the clutch & bearing, it's almost as much as an entire compressor. Here's some basic instructions I did to replace my AC compressor in my '98 4Runner V6 Limited. Should be the same in your Tacoma.

1) Evacuate Freon by a qualified shop then remove airbox.
2) Remove PS pump by first disconnecting the AC return hoses to the compressor to get adequate room to work. Then loosen the pulley that holds the PS belt. Remove this belt. Then remove the PS pump with 3 bolts. Slide PS pump out of the way.
3) Reduce tension in AC compressor idler pulley. Turn counterclockwise to relieve tension (you will need to be under the truck to do this but do not need to raise the truck as it is easily accesible once you have the skid plate removed. Remove AC belt.
4) Remove AC compressor by removing 4 bolts. Some are hard to get to but make sure you have a good fit and a long wrench b/c they may be on there very tight and you do not want to risk stripping the bolt.
5) Wiggle AC compressor out from top.
6) Reverse procedure for installation. (double check that your new compressor does not make any noise when you spin the pulley by hand, you'd hate to find out it's faulty after you fill it with Freon).
7) Tighten pulley tension for all belts
8) Have a repair shop vacuum AC system for debris and then recharge Freon. Mine used 2 lbs of freon and blew ice cold AC afterwards.

Not hard, it's just time consuming. Took me 4 hours to do it the first time but I'm sure I can do it in less than half that now. Good luck!

Last edited by USCTrojan; 05-10-2011 at 11:13 PM.