FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Greetings - new 2007 FJ owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings - new 2007 FJ owner!

Hi all... Just bought a 2007 yellow FJ. Someone on another forum linked me over here, and as soon as I saw that someone had done a LED dash swap I knew this was the place for me.

I also own MINI Coopers, and I've already done my first "mod" to the FJ, a set of hood stripes to match my Minis:

I wonder where a good source of info on the FJ's 4WD can be found? Specifically, I want to know the best way to use the Full Time 4WD system - I expect that most of the time, I'll be using it in "H" with only occasional use of the "HL" mode, and I want to be sure that the tranny is all set and ready to go when I *do* need to switch to "LL" mode. Should I run the car in LL mode every month just to make sure everything stays lubed and prepped?

Also, I'm looking for a good set of bull bars w/ skid plate in black. I have my eye on THIS UNIT, available over on AutoTruckToys.com:

I wonder with a unit like this if I won't be able to use the upper brush guards as well, though? Will I have to purchase a set specifically designed to work with a matching brush guard, or does the brush guard mount to different threads?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ImagoX; 12-30-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family!
The LL mode is just a different gear set within the transfer case the second L refers to the "locking" of the centre diff. which is also locked in HL mode. Because the FJ is going to be in 4wd most (all?) of the time I would'nt worry about having to keep everything lubed or anything like that other then perhaps a periodic check in an empty parking lot or such like just to confirm that all is working properly for when you DO need it.
Check through the FJ sub-forum here for lots of FJ specific info.
BTW I like those stripes now all you have to do is paint a flag on the roof.lol
happy New Year Aviator
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome, if you are looking for protection with that bullbar, if will not offer it. Those bars are for looks only. If you want front end protection then you need an ARB or TJM bullbar. Also do not run the vehicle in L mode on dry pavement.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Welcome, if you are looking for protection with that bullbar, if will not offer it. Those bars are for looks only. If you want front end protection then you need an ARB or TJM bullbar. Also do not run the vehicle in L mode on dry pavement.
Does either the ARB or the TJM have a brush guard that it works with? I'm not sure if I'll be adding the brush guard in the future, but if I do, I'll want it to work with the bull bar/skid plate combo... Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: I looked up both the ARB and TJM parts, and they're both full bumper replacements, which is not only out of my price range and looks like more extreme-duty equipment than I need, but also are fugly as hell (IMHO). Looking at replacements from manufacturers like Romik, Westin and Aires, they look if anything more substantial than the Toyota OEM skid plate, since they all have additional thick, tubular steel surrounds - you're saying that NONE of these parts give ANY benefit whatsoever?

I don't forsee the need to install a winch on the front, which both the ARB and TJM units can accommodate... As I've never done any sort of serious 4WD driving (nothing beyond muddy, rutted trails, no rock climbing), do I really need to think about something as high-end as the ARB/TJM?

Last edited by ImagoX; 12-31-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, nice FJ,

I'm not sure what you mean by brushguard, but if you are looking for hoops that protect the grill and headlights, then yes, the arb has them, I believe there is a tjm with them also (tjm has different model with no hoops, just a center hoop, and then one that covers the headlights too)

do a search on here for "Corey", he's got a FJ with plenty of goodies to make you drool

Oh, and before you start a new thread, the search is your friend (I'm not saying this about this thread, just for future reference)

Last edited by b.miller123; 12-31-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I'm not sure what you mean by brushguard, but if you are looking for hoops that protect the grill and headlights, then yes, the arb has them, I believe there is a tjm with them also (tjm has different model with no hoops, just a center hoop, and then one that covers the headlights too)

do a search on here for "Corey", he's got a FJ with plenty of goodies to make you drool
Yes - I see that the TJM and ARB units, which are full bumper replacements, have headlight protectors (brush guards). I mainly want this for the look, with occasional protection for the glass from branches. What I'm not sure about is if any of the light-duty brush guards, which bolt on op TOP of the OEM bumper, are compatible with the bolt-on bull bars from places like Romik or Aires. I'll check out Corey's ride - thanks!