FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Cruiser TPM precautions when switching tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FJ Cruiser TPM precautions when switching tires?

I'm getting a set of BFG A/T's to replace the Dueler H/T's on my FJ Cruiser. It has the new Tire Pressure Monitoring system that includes special valve stems and maybe something else in the rims, I don't know for sure.

Any special precautions to take or advise the tire store about?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell them that if they break it they bought it?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:52 PM

I would make sure they don't get any tire lube on the tpms sensor itself. Even though there have been precautions taking when making them. The lube may affect the sensor.

Also obviously the counterweights will have to be greater because of the added mass of the tpms. Depending on if the new wheels are stick-on or clip-on balance weights (they're probably stick-on, cuz that seems to be the new trend)

Oh and I would be very cautious about if they pull the stems when de-flating? I think that's what they do now, not entirely sure. Cuz I don't think you can just pull the stems off the tpms to let the air out. Also the tpms is held on by a nut along the valve, so they will have to be careful about that too!

Last edited by AznSky; 02-12-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SnoViking
tell them that if they break it they bought it?
Exactly.

It's the same on found on the 4th gen 4runner (05+ I think) and it's been relatively problem-free for those that just change tires. If you swap the wheels make sure you do the same to the spare too
Old 02-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

AS, all good points, thanks. I forgot about their speed deflation method that could cause problems.

SV and GT, no doubt they'd pay for damage, but not for the time involved. My understanding is that the valve stem sensors ($110/ea.) have unique transponder codes that must be programmed at the dealership ($90/ea.). So if one is damaged it would involve two trips to the tire store, one to the dealer, and the affected tire, rim and brake rotor open to tire changer abuse. Just trying to avoid trouble in the first place.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by BT17R
AS, all good points, thanks. I forgot about their speed deflation method that could cause problems.

SV and GT, no doubt they'd pay for damage, but not for the time involved. My understanding is that the valve stem sensors ($110/ea.) have unique transponder codes that must be programmed at the dealership ($90/ea.). So if one is damaged it would involve two trips to the tire store, one to the dealer, and the affected tire, rim and brake rotor open to tire changer abuse. Just trying to avoid trouble in the first place.

Definitely sounds like a "feature" that's not worth the hassle (especially with all the threads about them malfunctioning...) Never had any problems with the ol' tire gauge.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, but Federal law, an offshoot of the Ford/Firestone debacle.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Definitely sounds like a "feature" that's not worth the hassle (especially with all the threads about them malfunctioning...) Never had any problems with the ol' tire gauge.
Agreed, but some people are too lazy to check their tire pressure once in a while (mostly not folks on this board).

The only upside of this system is that it tells you when the spare gets low too, so it saves the time to lower it to check the pressure. Overall this is just a PITA system, glad I don't have it on my 03 4R. But the GX has it, no issues so far though.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:07 PM

I know that when they reprogram a sensor at Toyota, they need the old one so they can get the serial # off of it so that they know which one to reprogram. If they dont have that #, they have to break down every tire to get all the serial #s because they are all erased and reprogrammed in when a new one is put in.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

It turns out that FJ doesn't have a TPM system after all. Must be some kind of exemption available that Toyota chose to lower costs.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

That is probably good news, but it might be possible that you will see it on the FJC in a year or 2. On the 4R it was only introduced the secodn production year. So count yourself lucky. TPMS is good for most people, but seems to be a PITA for offroaders.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:11 AM

The local fountain tire here and prolly most places like it have a sign saying that if you have locking lugnuts and dont tell us, we wont worry about your vehicle and forget about it till you get back, if you have TPMS and dont tell us, your going to be crying when we break it and you have to pay for new ones. Not exactally in those words but ya