FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

f.j. v.s. jeep rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f.j. v.s. jeep rubicon

I have recently gotten a job at a toyota dealership and was talking to a salesman about the toyota f.j. and how there supposed to be a off road vehicle and what percentage of customers buy them being "soccer moms" and "grocery getters"/around town vehicels instead of actual 4x4 enthusiast looking at them to purchase them for what toyota intended them to be used for. He said probly 40 percent of people buy them for around town and will never see a dirt road in them. I figured him being a salesmen he knew all options and could basically sell it to me. He was into 4 wheelin and asked him his personal opinion about the I.F.S and what he thought about th F.J. He told me that on the rubicon trail in california a stock fj v.s a jeep rubicon the fj will kick its but in every test. (except front end articulation) I told him thats something i would have to see to believe. I.F.S v.s S.a. a-trac and rear locker V.S. front and rear lockers. I dont understand. He said He use to work for jeep and has only been at toyota for 3 months. What do u guys think.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 PM

I agree with the 'Soccer Mom' Comment, Thats the only people I ever see driving them. I've Yet to see one with mud on it.

Sad Really, you don't buy a Chevrolet Z06 to go slow. So Why Purchase a Offroad Ready SUV to drive to Wal-mat.

I Think they both have their Ups and Downs, I know one thing, You cant see for crap out the rear of a FJ cruiser.

Last edited by Knuckles; 06-24-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM

hell no just me driving them around the lot and down to the gas staion.BLIND SPOTS GALORE. all vision out of that thing sucks. it feels like im in a 1st gen. hummer
Old 06-24-2007, 09:32 PM

I work at Toyota also. I like the FJ Cruiser, and I know that it's a very capable vehicle in the hands of an experienced driver, but of course the salesman is biased, as he IS trying to sell Toyota vehicles. Sure, he used to work at Jeep, but now he works at Toyota, and that's what he sells. So yes, it's capable, but everyone has their own thoughts on this subject, but has he actually gone through the Rubicon with both vehicles and experienced the difference? I love my Toyotas, but I would rather take the Jeep (IF it's the Rubicon model) through the Rubicon trail than the FJ. Now please, don't kill me guys!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just don't like the new FJ's. I like the old ones, though. I'm all about the new Wranglers. I will chose an American made machine over a foreign job anyday. I do own a Toyota, and I love it, I just think that overall, the Jeep is far better than the Yota. And besides, a Wrangler looks intimidating, but the new FJ looks like lost puppy, or something. It just lacks attitude, and the white roof is ugly.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stormin94
I just don't like the new FJ's. I like the old ones, though. I'm all about the new Wranglers. I will chose an American made machine over a foreign job anyday. I do own a Toyota, and I love it, I just think that overall, the Jeep is far better than the Yota. And besides, a Wrangler looks intimidating, but the new FJ looks like lost puppy, or something. It just lacks attitude, and the white roof is ugly.
You do realize that Toyota has quite a few plants in the U.S. right? A wrangler may look intimidating, but lifted/ modified wranglers are a dime a dozen. I used to have one (2k1 TJ) myself that was lifted.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 AM

my good buddy has a 2004 wrangler (not rubicon version) and me and him go muddin all the time on the weekends and lets just say hes never had tow my FJ out of anything
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 AM
hud

Stock, out of the box, I think the wrangler rubicon would win. The fj, with one locker and atrac wouldn't be able to crawl rocks like a wrangler rubicon with two lockers, two linked dana 44s for better balanced articulation, and lower transfer case gears. The Toyota may come a few thousand cheaper, but it depends on the models and options (about 30k). They get similar gas mileage, but the toyota has a bit more power. Presumeably the Toyota would handle better on road, but a camry handles better on the road.

The most compareable Toyota would be the FZJ80 land cruiser 1993-1997.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Unfortunately the new FJ's have a "new and cool" effect to them. That's why soccer moms drive them. The wranglers are old news. Toyota could have built the new FJ on a carrolla chassis and the soccer moms would still buy them (they might even sell more)
but they would be ruining the legacy of the FJ and pissing off alot of toyota offroaders
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Isn't the angle of approach on the Rubicon's bumper to tire far superior to any vehicle Toyota has made since say, the 80's? I love Toyota also but every time I go wheeling the Jeeps seem to dominate the land, probably because Colorado has so many tight trails and rocky climbs/descends. I think the 4Runner/Taco wheelbase is better in many instances off road but we are still stuck on 3 wheels when most solid axle vehicles can keep 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:06 PM

How many people truly run stock rigs off roading. I mean those that are truly devoted to the activity. I have a FJ Cruiser and couldn't be happier w/ it and I think that's all that counts. I believe either vehicle can be better than the other, but it all depends on what kind of modifications you've done.

I've added a 3" Donahoe coilover lift, longer shocks, longer break lines, raised my rear diff. breather. I've added a new muffler setup w/ a cropped tail pipe for more clearance. Larger tires for more clearance. Sliders, full under body skid plates, GPS, Powertank, XJack. Hi-lift, Beadlock Steelies, After market front bumper, Warn winch, AFE Cold Air Intake...... on and on and on.

I'm proud of my FJ. It has not let me down yet on any runs, it performs amazing. Sure it has IFS, but there is a payoff for that as far as comfort goes in the long run. I think I run my FJ about 65% pavement to 35% offroad. It's my daily driver. It's far safer than the Rubi, it's a lot more comfortable, I have a lot more carrying capacity inside and on top. It's a Toyota and I know I may get myself in trouble here, but it's certainly a lot more dependable than a Jeep in regards to things breaking.

Though the way I see it. To each their own. Who cares what we all drive, lets help each other w/ mods and go wheeling together.

Just my .02 worth.

Dan
Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

I was reading this thread thinking I was in a jeep forum or something...

When I took my FJ out with stock everything including tires, I was up against my buddies Jeep Wrangler. He didn't have lockers, but it just seemed his still wouldn't have been able to compete. The only catagory where his was superior was fitting down the 4 wheeler trails. While I still respect the jeep for all it has done, the A-Trac system is proving to be very impressive. And while a solid axle has proven to be durable in the past, the ability and durability of the IFS has improved a lot since that "SA is the only option" myth began. Only time will tell on that, but I am driving my FJ into the ground as hard as possible and it hasn't even slowed down a bit. The thing is tuff!!! Oh and the approach angle is far superior now on my FJ since the install of my All Pro bumper.

And for the record of soccor mom's... I do enjoy tearing through soccor fields in this rig. (That was a joke... I respect trails.)
Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
Toyota employs more Americans than Ford, GM, or Chevy. Those companies build their crap in Mexico and over seas.

Originally Posted by weakyota91
I have recently gotten a job at a toyota dealership and was talking to a salesman about the toyota f.j. and how there supposed to be a off road vehicle and what percentage of customers buy them being "soccer moms" and "grocery getters"/around town vehicels instead of actual 4x4 enthusiast looking at them to purchase them for what toyota intended them to be used for. He said probly 40 percent of people buy them for around town and will never see a dirt road in them. I figured him being a salesmen he knew all options and could basically sell it to me. He was into 4 wheelin and asked him his personal opinion about the I.F.S and what he thought about th F.J. He told me that on the rubicon trail in california a stock fj v.s a jeep rubicon the fj will kick its but in every test. (except front end articulation) I told him thats something i would have to see to believe. I.F.S v.s S.a. a-trac and rear locker V.S. front and rear lockers. I dont understand. He said He use to work for jeep and has only been at toyota for 3 months. What do u guys think.
Okay, anyone who says the FJ can hold a candle to the Rubicon is flat out lying.

FJ- One locker, limited lift and tire options, IFS

Rubicon- Front and Rear Lockers, 4.0 xcase, coil front and rear SA.

Throw 2k at a Rubicon, you have lift, 35's and beadlocks, double locked, geared truck.

Throw 2k at the FJ, you have 2-3 inches of lift, 33's, beadlocks, one locker, stock xcase.

Offroad, the Rubicon will leave the FJ in the dust.

Now, if we want to talk mechanicals, that is a different story.

Last edited by AxleIke; 06-28-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Ike's nailed it. You might be able to build a more capable rig for less money out of a Wrangler, but in the long run, what's gonna be still running, and breaking less parts? Toyota's claim to fame has always been it's reliability. There isn't an "American" company out there that can even come close. To each his own, but I'd rather build a vehicle that isn't gonna be breaking down all the time. I may have fewer options for how much chrome I can put on it, but it's gonna run for a long, long time...

Anyway, that's how I see it.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think just abouthing STOCK can go just about anywhere, its just a matter of how much damage you're willing to accept =) ... LEAD FOOT ANYONE?

haha

Jeeps have a much better reputation that TOYOTA imo. Jeeps have kept the offroading theme going all the way to present day. Toyota lost that in 95 when they introduced the Tacoma and have been gradually turning their trucks into Pretty Street Queens.

The FJ40's, 45's 55's and even the 60 series SUV's all were built capable off the backwoods and you didn't worry so much about BREAKING something and it costing a damn fortune to fix.

Jeep has definetly increased the LUXURY of their wranglers but still keep dirt in the foreground and design for it. The new FJ is a sad attempt at bringing back toyotas legacy, if they werent aimed at soccer moms they'd of just brought back the FJ40 but they know it wont compete with Jeep's reputation in this modern age.

The need for off-road capable vehicles is very small in America today. People see cars as A-B street kings and I honestly cant think of any place anyone that i know would go that would require 4x4 on a daily basis.

I intentionally go OUT of my way to find places to USE the 4x4. It's a hobby not a necessity.

Anyways, thats my 2cents
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Stone stock FJ right down to the cheap factory tires at Hells Gate, Moab.

[YOUTUBE]A5KyVaeeW54[/YOUTUBE]

Not so stock one, same hill.

[YOUTUBE]PipHkt37DFg[/YOUTUBE]

I believe I have seen Jeeps get stuck on this or even flip over.

Out of the box Toyota has built a nice dual purpose rig with the FJ.
Many say the front A Trac is just about as good as having a front locker.

The Jeep may be the better of the two for more hardcore stuff, but as already mentioned, what is going to get you home when you really need to count on it.

Toyota all the way for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corey
I believe I have seen Jeeps get stuck on this or even flip over.
Good Driving and Spotting can get any vehichle through terrain. I don't see how those videos show the FJ's strengths over a Jeep.

It's hard to deny the fact that Jeep addressed the majority of our offroad needs with the Rubicon. If Toyota did the same, we'd know it.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I will never own anything but a toyota.

I'm a fanatic.

But lets not confuse internet hype with reality. ATRAC can be construed anyway you like it. Having honest to goodness spooled Front and rear axles is far better. Having driven the FJ with rear locker and ATRAC in Moab, i can say that while it was impressive, I like my dual ARB's better.

Plus, you can't beat the 4:1 xcase, vs the FJ's 2 something.

Baisically, if it were me, looking at the two, id ask myself this: Do i want a kicken jeep that could break down constantly, or a Toyota that might not be as well set up, but will drive me home every time?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM

So much crap in this thread it isn't even worth reading. Actually it is very deja-vu on this forum from when the FJ first came out.

I've had my FJ up places a lot of people in the Jeep clubs won't go and their rigs are all decked out to the n'th degree. In fact C.O.R.E 4x4 even gave my one of their club stickers for following their pack of Jeeps up a trail. "One of the few Toyotas to ever get this sticker and definitely the only brand new rig" is what was said to me when he handed me their sticker which I proudly display on my rig.

As for the socker mom bit, I see a few FJ's that look like they will never get a speck of mud but I see a hell of a lot more Jeeps of all kinds that will NEVER see a trail. And the Tahyua run on Father's day saw enough FJs (I think 12+ or so and 1 Jeep)on the trail we had to split into two packs.

I have owned 4x4s all my life and I can honestly say besides my old FJ40 I wish I never sold, my FJ Cruiser is the only other rig I felt confident enough to take up a mountain trail in 2 feet of snow in the dead of winter - totally stock street tires and all. And it performed flawlessly!

So you guys bash FJs all you want me and the rest of the FJ cult will be glad to keep enjoying our rigs in your ignorance.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Okay, anyone who says the FJ can hold a candle to the Rubicon is flat out lying.

FJ- One locker, limited lift and tire options, IFS

Rubicon- Front and Rear Lockers, 4.0 xcase, coil front and rear SA.

Throw 2k at a Rubicon, you have lift, 35's and beadlocks, double locked, geared truck.

Throw 2k at the FJ, you have 2-3 inches of lift, 33's, beadlocks, one locker, stock xcase.

Offroad, the Rubicon will leave the FJ in the dust.

Now, if we want to talk mechanicals, that is a different story.
My ass! The FJ is new and like any new vehicle it takes a little while for manufacturers to start developing after market parts for them.

So, you'll be happy to know, that there are FJ's out there w/ SAS's in them already and I'm sure more will show in time. There is those w/ long travel suspension set ups. We also now have inchworm transfer case "Inchworm setup at 168:1." So get your facts straight first.

I can tell you from experience that I have gone every where the Rubi's have gone in Va. I've done my share of Trail clean up's w/ them in GWNF.

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I will never own anything but a toyota.

I'm a fanatic.

But lets not confuse internet hype with reality. ATRAC can be construed anyway you like it. Having honest to goodness spooled Front and rear axles is far better. Having driven the FJ with rear locker and ATRAC in Moab, i can say that while it was impressive, I like my dual ARB's better.

Plus, you can't beat the 4:1 xcase, vs the FJ's 2 something.

Baisically, if it were me, looking at the two, id ask myself this: Do i want a kicken jeep that could break down constantly, or a Toyota that might not be as well set up, but will drive me home every time?
I've got some ARB lockers on order right now. They'll be installed shortly. Again, all this comes down to what you put into it.

Originally Posted by KD7NAC_07FJ
So much crap in this thread it isn't even worth reading. Actually it is very deja-vu on this forum from when the FJ first came out.

I've had my FJ up places a lot of people in the Jeep clubs won't go and their rigs are all decked out to the n'th degree. In fact C.O.R.E 4x4 even gave my one of their club stickers for following their pack of Jeeps up a trail. "One of the few Toyotas to ever get this sticker and definitely the only brand new rig" is what was said to me when he handed me their sticker which I proudly display on my rig.

As for the socker mom bit, I see a few FJ's that look like they will never get a speck of mud but I see a hell of a lot more Jeeps of all kinds that will NEVER see a trail. And the Tahyua run on Father's day saw enough FJs (I think 12+ or so and 1 Jeep)on the trail we had to split into two packs.

I have owned 4x4s all my life and I can honestly say besides my old FJ40 I wish I never sold, my FJ Cruiser is the only other rig I felt confident enough to take up a mountain trail in 2 feet of snow in the dead of winter - totally stock street tires and all. And it performed flawlessly!

So you guys bash FJs all you want me and the rest of the FJ cult will be glad to keep enjoying our rigs in your ignorance.
Well said and I'll still continue to drive my FJ proudly and astound those who wish to deny it's performance every time I go out and prove them wrong. Take it to the trails ...rather than personal opinions..

Quick Reply: f.j. v.s. jeep rubicon