FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

disappointed that MT FJ is full-time 4wd.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Torsen center diff has been in all the 4WD 4th gen 4R since day one. The V6 just had the option of engaging 2WD in the transfer case and ADD in the front diff. V8 was only 4Hi and 4Lo.

The way I read the literature on the FJC is that the A/T will not have a center diff, only the M/T. This means you can't run the A/T in 4wd all the time. I was hoping they would just use the 4R transfer case with a manual lever, so you have the choice of running in 4Lo without the center diff locked. Strange thing is that it is availible on the LC100 and GX/LX 470, but with the 4R we have to fiddle with dash switches for 4H to 4L. The FJC, which is marketed as the most capable offroad, it misses some nice features which would have been easy and cheap to put in. Maybe it is an easy fix on the M/T, like the LC 80s. Not a real big deal, just would have been nice.
BullDog,

So what your saying is thatthe automatic FJ and the V6 4th gen have different part time 4wheel drive systems? Am I correct to assume the part time 4wheel drive system is more like the 3rd gen or current tacoma set up. You can't run it all the time and there is binding? Or is it like the 4th gen runner set up, where you can run it in all the time as it were in fulltime and no binding occurs until the center diff is locked?

I'm trying to figure this out. It will make my decison about whether to choose 4unner or a an FJ. Thank in advance

Last edited by Grimace; 03-16-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Grimace
BullDog,

So what your saying is thatthe automatic FJ and the V6 4th gen have different part time 4wheel drive systems? Am I correct to assume the part time 4wheel drive system is more like the 3rd gen or current tacoma set up. You can't run it all the time and there is binding? Or is it like the 4th gen runner set up, where you can run it in all the time as it were in fulltime and no binding occurs until the center diff is locked?

I'm trying to figure this out. It will make my decison about whether to choose 4unner or a an FJ. Thank in advance
The FJ (A/T) has a part time system which is similar to the current taco/3rd gen 4runner. This system is different from the 4th gen v6 part time systel. The key difference is the torsen center diff that the 4th gen 4runner (all models) has. This gives you the ability drive in full time 4wd.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 PM

PT 4WD kinda sucks compared to AWD in my opinion, and this is why. There has to be sufficiently reduced traction to drive in 4wd in a PT (like my 90 runner) to stop the bloody thing from hopping around like a kid on sugar, There is no center diff so the front and rear tires have to spin at the same speed which forces them to jump. AWD gives you a center diff that allows you to drive in 4wd and not jump like your driving a pogo stick