General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring in accesories

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring in accesories

i have some interior lights that come with the cig lighter plug, but want 2 run 4 and 3 on separate switches.....anyone know how i would do this because i have no idea i have 2 of the 3 prong switches but i dont get it....o i do know about wiring in parallel instead of series, but how do i tell which one is which (+,-)?? any help would be great, maybe a picture??
Old 10-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, kind of having trouble understanding your question? Do you want to hardwire the lights? As for the cig. lighter, The Center of the back is positive. Test for continuity with an ohmmeter against that and then both wires to find the + Wire, the - Wire is the other one.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Ya I don't get your question either...a 3 prong switch usually has a light...the prongs are for your load and power, and the other prong is the ground for the light. What kind of light are you trying to wire inside?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by guapo83
Ya I don't get your question either...a 3 prong switch usually has a light...the prongs are for your load and power, and the other prong is the ground for the light. What kind of light are you trying to wire inside?
ok but there is + and - from the accesory i know this might be noobie stuff but im not good with wiring so fused wire to the + of the battery to power, load is acc. (this is the part i dont get how to do), and then ground the other one ya?? what guage wiring?? and relay it or no?? if so how would i do that?? im not electrically inclined sorry

Originally Posted by rowdy235
Okay, kind of having trouble understanding your question? Do you want to hardwire the lights? As for the cig. lighter, The Center of the back is positive. Test for continuity with an ohmmeter against that and then both wires to find the + Wire, the - Wire is the other one.

yes hardwire....there inside neons just like the look flashes to my bass very nice, but basically what i want to do is cut out the cig lighter part (7 of those wouldnt be easy to manage) and hardwire through a switch but im not totally sure how to do that? and continuity?? i dont remeber that refresh my brain on that plz....sorry to bug
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 PM

load is acc... thats also to the + of the battery. also can be found in wiring stereos 101: the yellow and red wires(positive) run to the battery, or direct current. the black wire(ground, or negative) goes to ground, such as onto the frame, or any unpainted metal surface.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 AM

Its very simple like ozzie said. One of those wires is ground(probably black) pull up your edge molding on the drivers side and you should see some grounds already going to the body. You'll need to pick up some terminal lugs to attach it. You'll have one power wire running to your battery or fuse block, then up to your switch. Then a wire from the switch to your light. Then as for the last prong on your switch, just ground it to the same place you put the ground for your actual light. Did any of our posts help? I can draw you a schematic later.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
and unless your lights are LEDs, it doesn't matter which post on the light gets positive voltage and which gets negative.

If they are LED's, they will only work one way, so wire it up, and if they don't light up, reverse the leads.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:39 AM

ya helpful but im not an electricain by any means, so im stll confused...ground the negative from the lights??? and not led's, neon plz dont flame me for bein dumb
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnin2002
ya helpful but im not an electricain by any means, so im stll confused...ground the negative from the lights??? and not led's, neon plz dont flame me for bein dumb
No flamin lol........I've thought about putting a white neon or led light above the footwells on the driver and passenger side so I can see stuff I drop on the floor at night when I'm driving.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnin2002
Yea you will need to ground the negative for the lights. Next you will have to find a source of power. On my friends 1980 we just installed a wire from the battery to the cab with an inline fuse holder. Then you take that wire and apply it to as many switches as you want. Then (if using lighted switches) run the "appliance out" lead to each light you want the switch to control. As mentioned, the other side is grounded. Then run the ground leg of the lighted switch to a ground source in the dash, my friend used a self-tapping sheet metal screw screwed into the dash. [Note: If you don't have a lighted switch, just connect the +12v and Light to either terminal, it'll work.

Hope this helps
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 AM

Well still not sure i understand 100%, but here is a sample diagram:
Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 AM

thanks guys u are bad @$$!!! i think the pic u drew makes it alot clearer rowdy! thanks for all ur help....im going to do some of that wiring today i think, what guage wire for this??? and what wire(guage/type) to the acc?? just split the fused wire to have it go to 2 switches right??
Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 PM

yes sir you have the split fused wire for two switches right.
You could probably get away with 14 or even 16 gauge wiring. But, I use 12 gauge for all my vehicle wiring. It is extra security, power flows better, and I have a huge spool of it. But I'd say 14 gauge.
And you're welcome for the diagram