General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What kind of bulbs do you use?
PIAA
11.50%
GE Nighthawks
7.08%
Silverstars
35.40%
Osrams
1.77%
Hoen
0.88%
Stock ones
23.01%
IPF
0%
Other
25.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

What bulbs do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevin444
im running hids,

infiniti g35 ballasts with philips ultinon 6000k d2s bulbs
Rebased? or retrofitted projectors?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philips
Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 AM

~99+ Headlights w/ 6000K HID's for Headlights
~PIAA daul Beam H4's for Off-Road lights

Last edited by 97Limited; 01-18-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Ran Silverstars, they were garbage and not worth the money.
Stock replacements from now on.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 PM

i definately just switched to silverstar ultas about ten minutes ago... the white light is 100 times better than the old yellow glow. in my opinion they throw the light farther than the stock bulbs. high beams are sweet!

i give sylvania the thumbs up.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:39 AM

I run:

Hella Ecode glass lense H4 conversions.
Upgraded harness.
85w lowbeam 100w highbeam hella h4 bulbs.

I put together a po bo HID driving light kit.

Hella 450 lights
KLight HID kit with micro h3 bulbs 6k temp

The hids are not in yet I still have to wire them up and mount the driving lights. The damn snow has thrown a monkey wrench in my plans.

I have had the ecodes with the 85w setup for a year and a half now and love them to death. The cutoff is lower than stock and with the higher wattage I put out a lot of light.

The low cutoff also means no glare to upcoming traffic or cars I pull up behind.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
headlight i have sliverstars for the tails i have piaa bulbs and piaa 85watt bulbs for the hella 500s
Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Another reason Silverstars go out early on some vehicles is leaving them on and the extra voltage bump they get from starting the vehicle sometimes blows them.

I always turn my lights off even before shutting the truck off.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 AM

THe kind that light up.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by StanBo
I run:

Hella Ecode glass lense H4 conversions.
Upgraded harness.
85w lowbeam 100w highbeam hella h4 bulbs.

I put together a po bo HID driving light kit.

Hella 450 lights
KLight HID kit with micro h3 bulbs 6k temp

The hids are not in yet I still have to wire them up and mount the driving lights. The damn snow has thrown a monkey wrench in my plans.

I have had the ecodes with the 85w setup for a year and a half now and love them to death. The cutoff is lower than stock and with the higher wattage I put out a lot of light.

The low cutoff also means no glare to upcoming traffic or cars I pull up behind.

You have to remember, since HID bulbs are much brighter than halogen, your cutoff most likely won't stay the same. This may reside under "The pot calling the kettle black", but you know aftermarket HID's are illegal? If you were doing a retrofit, I wouldn't have said anything... but there's nothing that annoys me more than cars with drop in hid kits... They look horrible, don't put out as much light on the ground as oem setups and are more blinding than you would think.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Silverstars. I put them in about a year ago and roughly three months ago one went out on me so now i'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. However I will continue to use them until I find another light that performs so well. I LOVE the way they light things up.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Keggo
You have to remember, since HID bulbs are much brighter than halogen, your cutoff most likely won't stay the same. This may reside under "The pot calling the kettle black", but you know aftermarket HID's are illegal? If you were doing a retrofit, I wouldn't have said anything... but there's nothing that annoys me more than cars with drop in hid kits... They look horrible, don't put out as much light on the ground as oem setups and are more blinding than you would think.
Don't sweat it. My pot is more stainless steel than black

HID bulbs are brighter than halogen that is why I am going for them. Aftermarket HID foglights are not illegal. Hella sells them as an option in many of the lenses. Micro DEs come to mind right off the top of my head.

I didn't do a retrofit for my headlights. I did a E-Code installation which gave me a low cutoff. I love light and being able to see but I like being legal and not blinding my fellow drivers. Nothing more annoying then being tired and having a dude with bright scattered light behind you.

I put a lot of research into my setup and the output is fantastic. I will take some shots when the HIDS are in as well as the headlights.

The HIDs are going into driving light housings that will only be on when I am totally dark areas and need the extra light. I have been doing fine with the halogen only for more than a year now.

I am a lighting nut because I can only drive as fast as I can see.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by StanBo
Don't sweat it. My pot is more stainless steel than black

HID bulbs are brighter than halogen that is why I am going for them. Aftermarket HID foglights are not illegal. Hella sells them as an option in many of the lenses. Micro DEs come to mind right off the top of my head.

I didn't do a retrofit for my headlights. I did a E-Code installation which gave me a low cutoff. I love light and being able to see but I like being legal and not blinding my fellow drivers. Nothing more annoying then being tired and having a dude with bright scattered light behind you.

I put a lot of research into my setup and the output is fantastic. I will take some shots when the HIDS are in as well as the headlights.

The HIDs are going into driving light housings that will only be on when I am totally dark areas and need the extra light. I have been doing fine with the halogen only for more than a year now.

I am a lighting nut because I can only drive as fast as I can see.
Heh heh... I should rephrase my statement... aftermarket drop in HID kits are illegal for street/on-road use. The hellas are fine since hella in fact makes many oem HID setups for a few vehicle manufacturers. At least hella knows a thing or two about proper hid setups than the knock-off drop in manufacturers.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 PM

I just replaced mine with optilux xenon blue bulbs
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM

eventually... everyone will be running HID. its the lighting of the future. 3x the light with less amp draw. cops really dont know anything about HIDs so unless your headlights arent adjusted you shouldnt worry. even with projectors there still very bright and kinda blinding but its not that bad. kinda liek controlling the sun. it just wont happen LOL
Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Keggo
Heh heh... I should rephrase my statement... aftermarket drop in HID kits are illegal for street/on-road use. The hellas are fine since hella in fact makes many oem HID setups for a few vehicle manufacturers. At least hella knows a thing or two about proper hid setups than the knock-off drop in manufacturers.
I totally agree with that. It is a shame that so many guys just glue or drop in these kits. They bring a bad name to modifiers and attention that I don't want being a modifier myself.

Rallylights.com has a great deal of info on the headlights you shop for and you can give them a buzz for help on setups. Things like how hot bulbs run, housing durability and bulb life can be answered.

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
eventually... everyone will be running HID. its the lighting of the future. 3x the light with less amp draw. cops really dont know anything about HIDs so unless your headlights arent adjusted you shouldnt worry. even with projectors there still very bright and kinda blinding but its not that bad. kinda liek controlling the sun. it just wont happen LOL
You are totally right. I can't wait I want HID in all of my vehicles. It is easier on my eyes.

Come out to NYC. There was a plague of HID theft out here and the police have really cracked down on it. The pull people over for open HID bulbs (no projector or scattersheild).
Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 AM

well you are on the other side of the country. so that is probably why. I dont know who want want to steal aftermarket hids. there like 120 bucks for a kit on ebay haha.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

took out HID's to return to stock...never going back
Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM

ill take those hids off your hand if u dont want em
Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

we here at Belize Off Road Society use Hella Optilux H7 bulbs and i personally, have Hella H4 in my Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic. So far we are very pleased with the amount of light produced.