General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voltage regulator / alternator wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voltage regulator / alternator wiring

i bought an 80 hilux a few months ago and the PO had done some hacking on the wiring in this thing and now im trying to straighten up the problems. i bought a new voltage regulator because a few of the wires were clipped off the plug on the one that was in the truck. when i went to install the new one i foung out that the wiring in my truck doesnt match the wiring in the book. and im talking about wiring that looks verry factory stock so im pretty confused. the book says to run the yellow wire straight from the alternator L post to the regulator but my yellow wire comes from the harness coming out of the fire wall. it also says to run a white wire from the B post to the regulator (with another wire spliced into it to power some accesories like wipers and gauges). the way i have it wired now the alternator is trying to push 18 volts up my batterys @$$. the wires coming from my alternator arent the right colors because of the PO hacking on it. but i have the blue wire on the regulator going to the E post on the Alt and a ground. the green wire going to the F post of the alt and yellow wire and red wire go from the regulator to the harness that goes into the cab. ill try to post a few pics of my situation once i figure out how to make them smaller but still able to see. the single white wire with the green plastic plugs is the main wire coming from the B post on the Alt to that factory harness. thats not what my wiring diagram saysits supposed to be. if any one can help ide appreciate it.

Last edited by BURR2OF4; 05-20-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i guess im just gonna go with a GM 3 wire alterrnator. does any one know wich car to tell the parts store im working on to get onw with alot of amps (at least 80) and the correct clock position?