General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tacoma DRL Module Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma DRL Module Help

I have an 04 Tacoma TRD that originally had DRL's. Unfortunately I tried the TTORA "disable DRL mod" and cut the specified wire in an attempt to put in an inline switch so I could temporarily disable the DRL's. This did not go so well, I cut the wire and wired in the switch. I then turned on the truck and the "high beam light" came on as described in the write up. I then "flicked" the high beams as instructed and with a sort of slight "pop" noise the high beam indicator light went out for good and the DRL's were in fact disabled. However, the switch could not re-enable them no matter what I tried. In frustration I reconnected the cut wire and returned the entire system back to stock configuration but my DRL's still fail to work. I have checked all the connections and fuses repeadedly to no avail. I believe that I have found that the problem most likely is that the DRL module located under the steering column is blown but I want to be certain before I pay for an expensive, non-returnable part. Is there anyway to test this module to confirm it is in fact damaged?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 PM

From what it sounds like, if I read it right, your low beams and high beams are now working, but the DRLs are not, correct? If so, it sounds like you got them killed like you wanted, so why would you want to get a new module. Are you worried about it causing other issues?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 AM

Yes my low beams/ high beams work correctly I just disabled my DRL's. My original intent was to put in a switch to "temporarily" disable the DRL's only when wheeling at night. The rest of the time I actually like having them. However, now the DRL's do not work at all. I am thinking that it is a blown module but would like to be sure since its ~ $150. to replace.

Thats what I get for following advice taken off of the TTORA of late
Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter
Yes my low beams/ high beams work correctly I just disabled my DRL's. My original intent was to put in a switch to "temporarily" disable the DRL's only when wheeling at night. The rest of the time I actually like having them. However, now the DRL's do not work at all. I am thinking that it is a blown module but would like to be sure since its ~ $150. to replace.

Thats what I get for following advice taken off of the TTORA of late
Oh, I understand better now. I would vote for leaving them off, don't like them or see a need, but I understand how irritating it can be to want something a certain way and it just won't work right. I wish I had better advice for you, as I would hate for it not to be the module and a big waste of money. But, if you get in situations where you need lights on, at least you can turn them on. Glad your lights at least work.

Cheers,

Larry
Old 08-29-2007, 04:22 PM

I was going to do this mod on my 3rd gen and I was still kind of unclear about which wire to cut. Even in the write up it said he blew out the module and they aren't cheap!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by larfx
Oh, I understand better now. I would vote for leaving them off, don't like them or see a need, but I understand how irritating it can be to want something a certain way and it just won't work right. I wish I had better advice for you, as I would hate for it not to be the module and a big waste of money. But, if you get in situations where you need lights on, at least you can turn them on. Glad your lights at least work.

Cheers,

Larry
Yes at least my lights still work in the original "old fashioned" way.

Thanks for your concern.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter
Yes at least my lights still work in the original "old fashioned" way.

Thanks for your concern.
No problem, thanks for talking .
Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM

I wish I could figure out a way to PM or e mail Corey and ask him how he tested his. He talks about doing it in the write up but you cannot PM an Admin. apparently. Anyone know how to get a hold of him?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have two suggestions:

1) turn your headlights on manually at all times to make yourself more visible and don't worry about DRLs.

2) buy a "universal" DRL from an auto parts store or eBay and wire it in. They're not more than about $20.