General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on hooking up a programmable license plate frame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on hooking up a programmable license plate frame?

I have 2003 4 Runner Limited and I just bought a programmable license plate frame that has a LED display that can be programmed to display messages. I want to hook it up to the back of the truck and could use some assistance from all of you since you all have much more experience in this area. The license plate frame has 2 wires to it, one ground and one 12 volt. My question is, any suggestion on how to hook it up? The only place I can see in the back is two brake lights but that would mean it would only come on when the brakes are on which would be pretty useless. I want it to be on whenever the engine is running. How hard is it to run it into the fuse box? It seems like that is quite a long distance although it does come with a long wire. I've never done anything like this before and the idea of pulling apart several panels to run the wires is a little scary.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks,
John
Old 10-25-2006, 02:40 PM

you could always wire it to your parking lamps, so that way whenever your parking lamps/headlights are on it is on (which is prob. the only time you could see it anyways
Old 10-25-2006, 08:01 PM

Well ,I managed to get it all apart and find the necessary wires and got it hooked up but unfortunately the posts that the license plate screws onto are all stripped. They were in pretty bad condition to begin with but now I have no way to mount the new license plate frame. Ugh! something that should have been super simple is now probably going to cost a fortune as I have no way to mount my license plate and/or license plate frame. I guess live and learn.
J.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm guessing new to trucks???