General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sub Box Placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right, I cant feel the subs move at all. Then the amp beeps once and then there is what sounds like a puff of air coming from the speakers.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure your head unit knows there are subs there and that it is putting noise out the RCA. IDK what head unit you have but if you put the RCA on rear instead of sub then you should get noise even if the subs are turned off on the HU. Most HUs just have a set of rear pre-outs more expensive ones could have rear, front, and sub.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACSig
Right, I cant feel the subs move at all. Then the amp beeps once and then there is what sounds like a puff of air coming from the speakers.
I am almost 100% positive that you have single voice coil subs. I looked at the picture and I have delt with these subs before. The reason there are two sets of positive and negative (on these particular subs) is so you can wire it in parallel (as I have drawn for you) without having to cram 2 pieces of wire in the same terminal. This allows you to run larger gauge speaker wire since it is just one wire per terminal. Wire it the way I have drawn in the picture and I bet you it works like a champ. Also remember to set the settings on the amp properly as well. Good luck.

Thomas

Last edited by yota8083; 01-21-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 PM

You know what? Hes right. Thats why the terminals are on the same side of the sub. Usually they are on opposite sides. Wire it like the pic he posted. I'd bet cash it will work after that.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by toylocost
You know what? Hes right. Thats why the terminals are on the same side of the sub. Usually they are on opposite sides. Wire it like the pic he posted. I'd bet cash it will work after that.
I have installed a few auiobahns in my day and all of them had that style terminals even though they were single voice coil.

Alpine Type R's come to mind as an example of a sub that has terminals side by side like that and ARE dual voice coil. However, like I said I am 100% sure the audiobahns are single voice coil. Let us know when you hook it up if that fixes it.

Oh, and by the way, the way you had it hooked up before was giving the amp an 8 ohm load and unless you had the gains and bass boost maxed out there would probably be very little sub movement at that high of resistance. The amp just doesnt make enough power at 8 ohm to move the subs much at all.

Thomas
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by yota8083
I have installed a few auiobahns in my day and all of them had that style terminals even though they were single voice coil.

Alpine Type R's come to mind as an example of a sub that has terminals side by side like that and ARE dual voice coil. However, like I said I am 100% sure the audiobahns are single voice coil. Let us know when you hook it up if that fixes it.

Oh, and by the way, the way you had it hooked up before was giving the amp an 8 ohm load and unless you had the gains and bass boost maxed out there would probably be very little sub movement at that high of resistance. The amp just doesnt make enough power at 8 ohm to move the subs much at all.

Thomas
Thanks, having more experience helps. lol. I have some, maybe 4-5 installs, but I read ALOT.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Thanks, having more experience helps. lol. I have some, maybe 4-5 installs, but I read ALOT.
It is a hobby for me now more so on my own vehicles (though I still do work on friends vehicles too). I worked at best buy for a couple years and though many people dont like that place I will tell you I learned a ton about audio in my time there. I guess I have been doing installations for about 5 years now.

Anywho, back to the topic at hand.....ACSig, have you tried the different wiring yet?

Thomas
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM

No, just got home from school. My only problem is, am I supposed to leave one pair of terminals open (on the sub that is not hooked up to the amp)?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM

its fine if theres an open set of terminals. look in your amp's manual and try to find what one beep means. also are there indicator lights on the amp that light up, specifically a safe/protect one?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM

The brown lines are speaker wire. The sub not connected to the amp will have a set of + and - terminals open, the sub wired to the amp will have wire in all terminals taking advantage of the extra set. Hook it up just like the picture and you will have a 2 ohm load at the amp.

Thomas
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I rewired the sub and sounds great.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Hell yes! My origonal guess was right!

Lets see some pics of your system.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Here's a couple, I know they're not the best pictures, but my back window has a broken relay and I'm 6 foot, so I'd say not too bad for being crammed in the back of my 4runner.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 PM

sounds like you guys got things all figured out, congratulations
should you ever run into anymore trouble or just want some good info on car audio check out this site its full of endless knowledge www.the12volt.com
Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 PM

hey you those pic didnt work.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by ACSig

Here's a couple, I know they're not the best pictures, but my back window has a broken relay and I'm 6 foot, so I'd say not too bad for being crammed in the back of my 4runner.
Linkeys no workey......

Thomas
Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Should work this time.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Nice. If those are 2 12s then I'm screwed. The box I built for my 2 15s for the Camry is gonna be way to wide to fit in the runner. There is more space between the subs and the edges of the box than yours and the box is still to small for the 15s to breathe properly. Guess I'm gonna be building another box. I think I'll port it this time.

I'd be carefull with that if I was you, that chrome amp will be easy to see from far away.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM

test amp

How about removing the inputs from the amp and hooking up a mp3 player to see it that works. use a stereo 1/8 to rca cord from the mp3 to the amp. make sure the mp3 player is turned down !!!! before you try.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by toy95sr5
How about removing the inputs from the amp and hooking up a mp3 player to see it that works. use a stereo 1/8 to rca cord from the mp3 to the amp. make sure the mp3 player is turned down !!!! before you try.
I think he already got it working.....

Looks good man. Glad everything worked out. Thats a lot of crome.......

Thomas

Quick Reply: Sub Box Placement