General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RH side Hazard circuit stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RH side Hazard circuit stuck on

I have a peculiar situation with my '86 4runner 22R-E. I drove to work with everything fine and after an hour it was noticed that my Right hand signal lights were steady on. No other lights and they were not blinking. If I turn the HAZARD switch to on the both sides are steady on with no flash. With the truck on and the HAZARD off the left turn signal works, but not the right(it is already steady on).

If I remove the 10A fuse in the engine compartment the turn signals work and the lights go off like normal. Of course in this condition I have no HAZARDS, HORN and more importantly no radio:-(. I have looked through the diagram and it only makes sense that something is shorting within the hazard side of the switch and causing a constant on.

I am posting to see if these switches are a known issue, or if this could possibly be a problem with trailer wiring. I understand that trailer wiring is a common cause for issues, but looking at the diagram I don't see how that is possible in this case. Any thoughts are appreciated.
-Shoe
Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer wiring is always an issue, it has to be done right and you have to have the logic controller for Toyota (as well as other Asian makes).

Your problem could be a hard wiring issue, but I'd look elsewhere first. Are all the bulbs forward and back the correct type and in working condition?

Have you tried giving the hazard relay a little love tap with a wrench to see if the situation "unsticks" itself?

Do you have a tilt steering wheel? Does moving the tilt up and down make any difference?

If you move the turn signal (multi-function) switch real slow up and down does the problem go away? How about just giving it a wiggle in all directions?

How about the hazard switch itself? Can you bypass the switch with the rest of the circuit intact and does everything work?

Just some places to start. Good luck, and re-post when you figure it out.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
maybe your low on blinker fuild
Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrench,
thanks for the thoughts, the problem went away for a while(summer, dry) and then came back as the weather turned cold. You give some great suggestions, but it is a little hard to t/s as the circuit is shorted, ie new fuse goes kablewy! Now that is starting to get above 30 degrees I may have another look at it. TKS again