General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Locks are POSSESSED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Locks are POSSESSED!!!

Help! If I unlock the passenger door on my 02 4Runner the locks automatically lock themselves right away. If I unlock with the key fob, same thing, with the button inside, same thing. It was funny this afternoon because it locked and unlocked by itself for about 20 seconds. Because I've narrowed it down to the front passenger door doing this, any ideas whether its electronic or something else? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM

could be a short in the switch. that would be my guess
Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 PM

try reprograming the key fob. Another trick might be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. fob programing procedures below.

1. unlock all of the doors in the car, open the driver's side door, and make sure the key is not in the ignition
2. put the key into the ignition and then pull it out without turning it or anything
3. within 40 seconds, lock and then unlock the doors five times using the power lock button on the driver's side door.
4. close the door and then open it again
5. within 40 seconds lock and then unlock the doors five times again using the power lock button.
6. Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the on position (not acc and not far enough to actually start the engine) and then back to the off position, then back to on and back to off.
7. Pull the key out of the ignition
8. If you are successful, after about 5 seconds, the doors should power lock and then unlock on their own. If that doesn't happen then try again from step 1.
9. within 40 seconds, hold down the lock and unlock button simultaneously on the remote for a second. Then release and hold down the unlock button for 3 seconds. The power locks should cycle again once on their own. If they don't cycle exactly once, repeat this step from the beginning with the remote again.
10. Repeat step 9 for every remote you want to program. You have to do this with any remotes that were previously programmed because this process essentially resets what remotes the car will respond to.
11. Close the driver's side door to signify that you are done programming the remotes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GorillaSalad
try reprograming the key fob. Another trick might be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. fob programing procedures below.

1. unlock all of the doors in the car, open the driver's side door, and make sure the key is not in the ignition
2. put the key into the ignition and then pull it out without turning it or anything
3. within 40 seconds, lock and then unlock the doors five times using the power lock button on the driver's side door.
4. close the door and then open it again
5. within 40 seconds lock and then unlock the doors five times again using the power lock button.
6. Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the on position (not acc and not far enough to actually start the engine) and then back to the off position, then back to on and back to off.
7. Pull the key out of the ignition
8. If you are successful, after about 5 seconds, the doors should power lock and then unlock on their own. If that doesn't happen then try again from step 1.
9. within 40 seconds, hold down the lock and unlock button simultaneously on the remote for a second. Then release and hold down the unlock button for 3 seconds. The power locks should cycle again once on their own. If they don't cycle exactly once, repeat this step from the beginning with the remote again.
10. Repeat step 9 for every remote you want to program. You have to do this with any remotes that were previously programmed because this process essentially resets what remotes the car will respond to.
11. Close the driver's side door to signify that you are done programming the remotes
I lost my key fob about a year ago and ordered another one from some cat on ebay. I had read something about pressing a button on my ECM to set it and lo and behold: no button on my ECM. So I hit the web for a few days and stumbled across about a hundred methods of opening/closing doors, turning keys, doing jumping jacks, etc... Basically toyota Hokey Pokey. I felt like an idiot. My wife would just sit in the house and watch her sucker husband do somersaults in the 4runner and yell, "ok I think I got it!" and then press the buttons with no effect. Finally I stumbled across this method on some forum somewhere. It took me about a week to find a time when nobody would be around to see me do it. But then it worked!!! I heard the little chirp and could not believe it. I even did it again in front of my wife to prove it. Whoever programmed this at Toyota sure had some serious foresight and a sick sense of humor.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:04 PM

I reprogrammed the two fobs and after one episode, it hasn't done it since then so thanks for your advice.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
way to go GorillaSalad! like that signature mantra you have going on there dude
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GorrilaSalad...excellent sig.

Back to topic. It definetly sounds like an electronic short in the system for it to continually re-lock after unlocking with both keyfob and buttons.