General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

many accessories, external battery post?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
many accessories, external battery post?

My battery is crowded with accessories attached to the positive lead. Now with the winch installed I'd like it to be more organized. Deathcougar suggested an external post that could hold everything in a more organized way, with one lead only going to the battery, for example. I'd be very happy to be directed to such a thing, it might make things much easier around the battery. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.delcity.net/store/NEW-!-8...k/p_790101.a_1

that's roughly what your looking for you can also get the single stud type http://www.delcity.net/store/Stud-Ty...ck/p_71705.a_1

both would serve the purpose of what you are trying to achieve

personally i would hook the winch up directly to the battery and all your other accessories to the block
Old 01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Hauck: What we are trying to get away from is overloading one post with ALL of Tim's accessories. Right now he has about 10 leads (soon the include the winch) all hanging off one battery post. It makes for not a very good connection, plus it looks bad and can lead to problems.

What I was thinking of is something like they use for stereo installs. One main cable goes in, and 4-8 smaller cables can come out.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are those stereo battery posts called? Do you have a link or a name for them? My friend Byron will definitely know he does stereo installs all the time and he's an off-roader too so he has great ideas for making installs very solid. If you can give me a name for this kind of setup I'm sure he'll know what you mean

oh yeah I almost forgot, I have an odyssey battery, it has two spots on the side of the battery to add another set of terminals...I don't know what part I need but that might be another idea
anyone with odysseys running both the top posts and side posts?

Last edited by taikowaza; 01-31-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
what are those stereo battery posts called? Do you have a link or a name for them? My friend Byron will definitely know he does stereo installs all the time and he's an off-roader too so he has great ideas for making installs very solid. If you can give me a name for this kind of setup I'm sure he'll know what you mean
they are usually called "distribution blocks". I think they even sell them at walmart

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XrhcATV...res-DBX44.html

Last edited by dirtyXplorer; 01-31-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The side posts are where we can mount the larger cables. I did not even think to look for those. You could use the distribution block for the smaller cables.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:14 AM

If you're searching for ideas, don't forget about a marine/boat supply store. I'm sure you could find some pretty rugged stuff there.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
what I did was run a battery cable to a 140A circuit breaker and then run my accessories off of that - since the battery is on the "wrong" side I also wanted the circuit breaker in case I whacked the front end (to prevent a massive short circuit / fire)

you can get these off ebay for <$10, they mount with 2 bolts and are resetable (I flip mine to open circuit when I'm hiking to cut all power to the truck) - I've seen them come in 100A, 140A and 200A

you can see the circuit breaker in front of the MSD stuff with the big red cable going to it
Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Hauck: What we are trying to get away from is overloading one post with ALL of Tim's accessories. Right now he has about 10 leads (soon the include the winch) all hanging off one battery post. It makes for not a very good connection, plus it looks bad and can lead to problems.

What I was thinking of is something like they use for stereo installs. One main cable goes in, and 4-8 smaller cables can come out.
Or he could go with an auxiliary fuse block something like this: http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

I know that there is countless write ups on installing auxiliary fuse boxes and Corey has one for his dual battery set up that is very informative on how to wire it all up

Personally i would go this root as i have one and it works perfectly and really cleans up the battery terminal
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hauckster
Or he could go with an auxiliary fuse block something like this: http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

I know that there is countless write ups on installing auxiliary fuse boxes and Corey has one for his dual battery set up that is very informative on how to wire it all up

Personally i would go this root as i have one and it works perfectly and really cleans up the battery terminal

x2...

aux fuse block is the way to go... that way, all your 12V supplies are properly fused without having to worry about adding in-line fuses to all your circuits.

Bluesea marine makes some very good aux fuse blocks.