General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Codes

Can someone enlighten me as to what the following electrical codes mean on an 89 P/U with a 22R-E engine: 24, 27, 31, & 52
Old 02-07-2021, 11:11 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Do you have an FSM for your truck? They have several different years in PDF format on this forum. Look around a little. Just download the PDF, and keep it on your HD. When you need to work on something, print out the pages you need. Once you're done, either throw them away, or put them into a binder for the next time.

Are you sure all those are for the current problem? Did you clear any stored codes before reading them out? I usually just pull the negative battery terminal for a minute or so. Rests the codes that may be stored in the ECU from a previous problem. THEN see if the Check Engine Light comes on, and if it does, you know for sure the code it reads out is for the current problem.
Remember, some problems will set a code, but not light the CEL. Check for codes if you can duplicate the trouble, whether you have a CEL or not.
BTW, I just checked the FSM for you truck's year, and it doesn't have a 27. You might want to check that one again, just to be sure.

But anyway, there's the codes you were wondering about. I hope they help some...
Pat☺
Old 02-07-2021, 02:05 PM

Thanks and its much appreciated
Old 02-08-2021, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the Codes. Further inquiries state that # 27 is for California Models O2 second sensor aft of the Cat. Now that I have an idea of what is happening. Are any of these something I can fix myself like remove and replace or solder, or rebuild?
Old 02-08-2021, 11:36 AM

They're all replaceable by you. All the components , except the knock sensor, are out in the, relatively, open where you can get to them. The knock sensor is kinda tough to get to. I would eliminate EVERY other possibility before tackling that. The knock sensor also has a pigtail connecting it to the wiring harness that may need replacing. It's a known problem. Sometimes it's the just the pigtail. Still a B*&^( to get to.
If it's the knock sensor or it's pigtail, be ready to pull the intake to get to it. That means new gaskets, including crush washers for the fuel connections. Just a heads up.

Good luck to you.
Pat☺
Old 02-15-2021, 02:04 PM

Thanks everybody for the Great help on the codes. I got rid of 24, 25, 27 right away when the mechanic replaced the CAT and believe it or not its two sensors. Seems that the CAT was out of date, 9yrs old and the sensors on it were not the right ones either so they were replaced and Smog Check passed with flying colours. Had to have one wire hooked up and as for the K/S it will be replaced at a later time. The truck runs great now otherwise. Anybody know who makes a good K/S for my 89 Toyota P/U?
Old 02-17-2021, 11:21 AM

Well, Rock Auto carries 3 versions.
If it were me, I'd go with the NTK. I think, seldom but I do think sometimes, they're the best choice. LINK
Hope that helps a little.
Pat☺
Old 02-19-2021, 10:30 AM

Thanks- Looking at one now.