General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Toys have "flood Clear" logic in Computer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Toys have "flood Clear" logic in Computer

I know tha GM fuel inj vehicles have logic in computer that senses if wide open throttle AND low engine speed (cranking speed) occur at same time that the operator is trying to clear a flooded engine. The comp reduces or stops injector pulses until flood is cleared ie sees engine speed pick up.

Do Toys have this same feature?

My 1989 quit while idling due to bad plug wires and I heard it chug out before it quit so I knew it was flooded. Could not get it to start until I disconnected the air pipe from the air box.Then when it rolled over the air flow sensor did not open so the pump did not run and it started in a few seconds.

BTW, you can use the air flow sensor to prime after fuel line work etc by opening air box and pushing flapper in with the key turned on. You can hear the pump start and it will fill the lines and rails and push air back to tank.

Mike
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 AM

I doubt it... GM likes to put more eletronics then needed on there vehicles and the result is a lot of eletrical problems.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chopitrakeit
I know tha GM fuel inj vehicles have logic in computer that senses if wide open throttle AND low engine speed (cranking speed) occur at same time that the operator is trying to clear a flooded engine. The comp reduces or stops injector pulses until flood is cleared ie sees engine speed pick up.

Do Toys have this same feature?

My 1989 quit while idling due to bad plug wires and I heard it chug out before it quit so I knew it was flooded. Could not get it to start until I disconnected the air pipe from the air box.Then when it rolled over the air flow sensor did not open so the pump did not run and it started in a few seconds.

BTW, you can use the air flow sensor to prime after fuel line work etc by opening air box and pushing flapper in with the key turned on. You can hear the pump start and it will fill the lines and rails and push air back to tank.

Mike
I don't know about GM having that feature.
The olds got flooded once and it took ages to finally clear out and turn over, and in the end i think i was driving around with smoke coming out of the tial pip for at least 5 min...

Tess got flooded once, but i just cranked her a couple of times and she turned over.
Maybe the new ones do as opposed to the older ones?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe all fuel injected vehicles have this. It doesn't take any more wiring. You already have the reading from the TPS. You can use the MAF for engine load, or the tach for RPM. It's just programming in the ECM.
If it works properly is a different story altogether.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 AM

Just to bump it up one time. I was not able to get the cylinders to clear until i disconnected the MAF and rolled it over with throttle wide open. Anyone with a good knowledge of the electronics know if the Toy ecm recognizes the wot/slow crank speed as an attempt to clear a flooded engine and reduces injector pulses accordingly? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 AM

Bump. Was talking about this with a GM mech, still curious if anyone knows for sure about it. Thanks