General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 22r in a 77 celica ignition issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 22r in a 77 celica ignition issues.

I have a 77 toyota celica gt with an 87 22r which was recently rebuilt with high compression pistons, mikuni 40mm dual side draft carbs, a pacesetter 2.5" shorty header with a 2 1/4" exhaust. Previous owner also said a cam, though it runs and idles nothing like it. I've had the car for two months and put the car on the road. It runs great, but has absolutely no power. It won't rev past 4800rpm or so and through trying to find my issue I found I have the original 20r points ignition system. My first question is, should the 22r run well with this old 20r system? I have the 22r distributor now, but I'm a broke college kid, so it'll be a good while before I can afford a 22r ignitor and coil. I took off the vacuum hose going to the advance and advanced my distributor a tooth which seemed to make it run a little bit better, but it still isn't right. So I then hooked the vacuum advance to the brake booster port on the carbs which seems to pull way too much vacuum, so i scratched that idea. Btw, the vacuum advancer DOES work on the distributor and we cleaned and regapped the points to 20r specs. It always gives me a little hassle starting up, but nothing to write home about considering the carbs. It doesn't seem to run too rich or lean when I look at my plugs. Though when I get up to higher rpm's I can smell raw fuel though there's no smoke. I'm getting about 15mpg, too. so something has to be quite a bit wrong. (I know the carbs don't help it, but considering what people are running with webers of comparable size, i feel I should be doing a bit better.

Sorry for being complicated, just looking for someone who knows 22r's as I've always owned chevy's and sportbikes and know nothing about this engine. Thanks

Josh
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I had a 77 celica gt at one point, I remember that car was fuel injected with an electrical fuel pump. Does yours still use the original fuel pump or with the mechanical pump in the head? Also if they did convert it to mechanical fuel pump, I would make sure they removed the old fuel filter and used one designed for the mechanical pump. BTW is this a manual or auto trans. I would also definitely get a timing light on the motor and set timing anywhere between 0 and 5 degrees BTDC. find out which cam they put in as well. My guess its the 268 from ENGBLDR but there is alot of them out there, and not all of them affect idle quality the 268 is one that doesn't affect it. Depending on which cam it has, that will also tell you what the valve lash should be. If valve lash is not right it will affect the engine vacuum and thus power. Not all of them use factory specs. Also remember these motors only make about 100hp to begin with and will never be complete power houses.

I am sure someone on here more familiar with these motors will also lend a hand, as I am still somewhat new to them as well.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 01-08-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put in an aftermarket fuel pump and have it set for 5psi(maybe a little high?) and i have an inline filter. The old pump was removed from the tank. This gt was a 20r with the aisin carb (still have the entire old setup). I have some valve chatter now, so I'll be pulling the head off soon which will give me a change to look at the cam. I know these engines don't make much power, but this thing won't even cruise at 70 without being an inch from floored. It's a 5spd. I believe a W series(not sure which, but that's what the prev. owner said). Yeh, I set the timing to 5* btdc at idle.

Thanks for the quick response